• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rhule and Cook have the right idea.

Always recruit home first. Its the easiest work. But be multi tasking at the same time, a thing past staffs suffered at.
The more areas or states you're familiar with, the better.

Opening up all the camps for the youth gets you in early locally and done right, somewhat regionally.
Looking at the growth they want in their coaching clinic is very telling, they're expanding the area of familiarity. Get that all the way to St Louis

When we have too much talent to reasonably fill a recruiting class we can then back off on expanding, until then its a grind for growth.

So you are saying it cannot be done anymore?
Seemed to work for Spencer Long

What happened after that? Oh he just went on to play in the NFL for 7 years.

How about this guy?

Started out as a TE. So I am going to render a guess that he was not even near 300 lbs. when he started at NE. He went in the weight room and got there. Now he is the handpicked choice to replace possibly the greatest center in NFL history.

Lastly let this sink in, from Juju

If one of the best to do it ON THE FIELD at Nebraska can see the value. Not sure why you can't.
Didn't say you couldn't and you miss the point entirely.

How far between Spencer Long and Jurgens? A result of population density. TO could do it because of superior S&C. We no longer have that advantage. Look how many local lineman did TO have that developed into all league players and how many since.

You recruit where the population density of high potential players is greatest. Hence TO made a living in Texas, CA, FL.

Sheer numbers game.

Recognizing talent, coaching and developing talent, including SnC havent been top priority, even under Bo.
Bo did well with his starters, but as the season wore on we wore out.
Riley had a good year followed by so so years. SF never lived up to his billing.
SnC is improved once again, recognizing talent in all phases as well. Coaching and developing depth we have since TO.
What many before didn't see as talent likely won't escape, where decent potential went elsewhere where development wasn't as good would have shown better here given the development.
There's talent out there, it just has to be recognized in all facets, which when you think about it, being multi sport is a tell.

The days of developing linemen in the weight room for 2-3 years seem to be over. Boyd Epley not in charge of strength training was a huge loss that we really haven't recovered from yet.
Not sure I agree.
NU has had to play a lot of young players at the OLine position due to poor recruiting.

Ex: JC Latham, the #7 pick in NFL draft out of Alabama was a reserve linemen his freshman year and then started the next two years. Kids at Iowa and Wisconsin routinely sit their first year, maybe two before coming starters.

Make up your own narrative and falsities. I never said that. I’m replying to your notion that Cook and Rhule are concentrating on getting Nebraska kids and developing them. That’s a total bs statement. Cook has had a few more Nebraska girls lately due to the Nebraska talent that has become available at a given time.

I don’t want to do the numbers but I doubt we have many more Nebraska scholarship players on the roster now than we have averaged over the last 20 years.
Pelini slow played guys hoping theu would walk on. So they walked across the border. Local coaches used to Comme t that they never saw our coaches. Callahan did not even look at Nebraska kids. Riley.was not here long enough to tell. Frost had a mixed bag of results but put no effort into Omaha.

Always recruit home first. Its the easiest work. But be multi tasking at the same time, a thing past staffs suffered at.
The more areas or states you're familiar with, the better.

Opening up all the camps for the youth gets you in early locally and done right, somewhat regionally.
Looking at the growth they want in their coaching clinic is very telling, they're expanding the area of familiarity. Get that all the way to St Louis

When we have too much talent to reasonably fill a recruiting class we can then back off on expanding, until then its a grind for growth.
Amen

I don’t think it’s complicated in 2024. Everyone has good or great S&C. Everyone can “make” a better lineman in the weight room and on the field. If they can’t, they should hire a new strength guy — there are no S&C development secrets or material advantages among programs and haven’t been for a few decades, other than facilities. Are there high-level HS linemen this minute scattered around the country? Yes. But most teams carry 20-25 o-linemen, and they need to get most of them from close to home and develop them. It’s just reality and math. Take Iowa. I just looked at the current roster. 21 o-linemen: 9 IA; 3 IL; 2 IN; 1 NE; 1 KS; 1 MO; 1 WI; 1 OH; 1 MI; and 1 FL. That’s about right for most programs — most of the line is local/regional. Lift weights and coach them up. No one recruits a locker room full of NFL-ready o-linemen. There aren’t enough to go around, and those kids won’t stay in the program if they don’t see the field right away. The fact that NU hasn’t been successful evaluating who will develop from a regional two/three star, or actually developing that player, into a solid starter consistently is a different discussion. But where the kids are from generally will always be the same — mostly NE, IA, KS, and region, with a few from TX, UT, HA, AZ, etc. NU isn’t going to start pulling linemen out of Pennsylvania and Ohio, for example, any time soon. Ever. What needs to improve from prior staffs is: 1) identifying and recruiting kids with a high ceiling; 2) developing to ceiling; and 3) recruiting obvious top-end talent in the region (and nationwide, as possible) to Lincoln.

Pelini slow played guys hoping theu would walk on. So they walked across the border. Local coaches used to Comme t that they never saw our coaches. Callahan did not even look at Nebraska kids. Riley.was not here long enough to tell. Frost had a mixed bag of results but put no effort into Omaha.
I remember when Luke Gifford was going through the recruiting process. He really wanted to play at Nebraska but was being slow played by the coaches. His Dad Sam who is a buddy of mine, basically said look, he's every bit as good as these other guys you are recruiting, he's a Nebraska kid that will run through a wall for you, what in the world are you waiting for? Similar situation with Isaac Gifford. If I remember right, they gave Isaac a Grey Shirt his 1st year then put him on scholarship. I know all Nebraska raised recruits don't always pan out but you typically don't have to worry about their desire to work their tails off. I'm biased because of my friendship with the family, but wouldn't you take a couple Gifford Boys with every recruiting class?

I don’t think it’s complicated in 2024. Everyone has good or great S&C. Everyone can “make” a better lineman in the weight room and on the field. If they can’t, they should hire a new strength guy — there are no S&C development secrets or material advantages among programs and haven’t been for a few decades, other than facilities. Are there high-level HS linemen this minute scattered around the country? Yes. But most teams carry 20-25 o-linemen, and they need to get most of them from close to home and develop them. It’s just reality and math. Take Iowa. I just looked at the current roster. 21 o-linemen: 9 IA; 3 IL; 2 IN; 1 NE; 1 KS; 1 MO; 1 WI; 1 OH; 1 MI; and 1 FL. That’s about right for most programs — most of the line is local/regional. Lift weights and coach them up. No one recruits a locker room full of NFL-ready o-linemen. There aren’t enough to go around, and those kids won’t stay in the program if they don’t see the field right away. The fact that NU hasn’t been successful evaluating who will develop from a regional two/three star, or actually developing that player, into a solid starter consistently is a different discussion. But where the kids are from generally will always be the same — mostly NE, IA, KS, and region, with a few from TX, UT, HA, AZ, etc. NU isn’t going to start pulling linemen out of Pennsylvania and Ohio, for example, any time soon. Ever. What needs to improve from prior staffs is: 1) identifying and recruiting kids with a high ceiling; 2) developing to ceiling; and 3) recruiting obvious top-end talent in the region (and nationwide, as possible) to Lincoln.
Problem here is, SnC coaches aren't automatons, and all weight rooms a dietary needs the same.
Our O line recruiting is taking off. At home and abroad. Imo, there isn't a box we don't check when it comes to the O line.

Problem here is, SnC coaches aren't automatons, and all weight rooms a dietary needs the same.
Our O line recruiting is taking off. At home and abroad. Imo, there isn't a box we don't check when it comes to the O line.
I don’t disagree with any of that. S&C guys are like any other coaches, some better than others. Recruit who we can. But in the end, NU’s o-line room will be at least half local/regional kids. That’s every program in the country. O-linemen recruiting and rosters are different than other positions. If NU can get on the same page program-wide (from nutrition to S&C to recruiting to coaching to scheme, blah, blah) the o-line will continue to improve. It’s the one part of a team that ALWAYS must be handled and developed long-term. Nurtured. No quick fixes. It has been a train wreck, even with some of the better teams the last few decades. I think HCMR knows he needs to do to develop a quality line, year after year. It takes time.

I don’t disagree with any of that. S&C guys are like any other coaches, some better than others. Recruit who we can. But in the end, NU’s o-line room will be at least half local/regional kids. That’s every program in the country. O-linemen recruiting and rosters are different than other positions. If NU can get on the same page program-wide (from nutrition to S&C to recruiting to coaching to scheme, blah, blah) the o-line will continue to improve. It’s the one part of a team that ALWAYS must be handled and developed long-term. Nurtured. No quick fixes. It has been a train wreck, even with some of the better teams the last few decades. I think HCMR knows he needs to do to develop a quality line, year after year. It takes time.
No, most coaches will say they are the most important of coaches. Our admin trashed that years back, so out of touch, besides the indignity given.
Linemen have the shortest time of all players in getting it right. Balance footwork, leverage, hand technique, leverage technique etc.
A good opposing staff finds a weakness or a good D lineman finds a skill advantage, its the whole game that way.
It takes time to see it all and work on it and develop it. What we are seeing is better coaching from high school.
It was very evident when you saw Brendan Jaimes high school tape, his footwork and balance were very good.

No, most coaches will say they are the most important of coaches. Our admin trashed that years back, so out of touch, besides the indignity given.
Linemen have the shortest time of all players in getting it right. Balance footwork, leverage, hand technique, leverage technique etc.
A good opposing staff finds a weakness or a good D lineman finds a skill advantage, its the whole game that way.
It takes time to see it all and work on it and develop it. What we are seeing is better coaching from high school.
It was very evident when you saw Brendan Jaimes high school tape, his footwork and balance were very good.
To be clear, I’m not saying S&C guys are a dime/dozen. There are quality guys. And the other. HCMR has his guy — that’s good enough for me. And he said Raiola is his guy to coach them up — that’s also good enough for me. I’m making a couple of points, so far not very clearly: 1) kids come more ready and better trained/coached than ever.. but with some exceptions a 21-year-old o-lineman is almost always preferable to a 19-year-old, for all the obvious size/strength/rep/experience reasons, and it takes time to get the right guys on the field together, especially two-deep; 2) NU has had a huge disconnect recruiting, developing, coaching, and scheming its o-lineman the last two decades, sometimes embarrassingly so; 3) whatever “build-a-lineman” advantage NU had years ago is gone now, sadly; and 4) recruit the best players you can at all positions, obviously, but for better or worse, the o-line room always will have a strong regional feel — every program, no matter where, because of numbers and other factors, including that it’s some kind of unwritten rule that big, tough country kids grow up to be o-linemen at state U, in numbers.

To be clear, I’m not saying S&C guys are a dime/dozen. There are quality guys. And the other. HCMR has his guy — that’s good enough for me. And he said Raiola is his guy to coach them up — that’s also good enough for me. I’m making a couple of points, so far not very clearly: 1) kids come more ready and better trained/coached than ever.. but with some exceptions a 21-year-old o-lineman is almost always preferable to a 19-year-old, for all the obvious size/strength/rep/experience reasons, and it takes time to get the right guys on the field together, especially two-deep; 2) NU has had a huge disconnect recruiting, developing, coaching, and scheming its o-lineman the last two decades, sometimes embarrassingly so; 3) whatever “build-a-lineman” advantage NU had years ago is gone now, sadly; and 4) recruit the best players you can at all positions, obviously, but for better or worse, the o-line room always will have a strong regional feel — every program, no matter where, because of numbers and other factors, including that it’s some kind of unwritten rule that big, tough country kids grow up to be o-linemen at state U, in numbers.
It isn't gone. When a guy like Benhart makes a ten point jump in the PFF evals in one year under the new SnC and year two under coach Donnie, thats huge.
Its just starting.
Guys came back because they know their time won't be wasted

I remember when Luke Gifford was going through the recruiting process. He really wanted to play at Nebraska but was being slow played by the coaches. His Dad Sam who is a buddy of mine, basically said look, he's every bit as good as these other guys you are recruiting, he's a Nebraska kid that will run through a wall for you, what in the world are you waiting for? Similar situation with Isaac Gifford. If I remember right, they gave Isaac a Grey Shirt his 1st year then put him on scholarship. I know all Nebraska raised recruits don't always pan out but you typically don't have to worry about their desire to work their tails off. I'm biased because of my friendship with the family, but wouldn't you take a couple Gifford Boys with every recruiting class?

Good inside info. I think the problem with Issac was that he was such a tweener. He fits very well in a 3-3-5 defense.

They slow played Harrison Phillips badly. He didn't get a Nebraska offer until after he had visited Stanford and was offered.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back