• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rhule and Cook have the right idea.

The big issue I see is we used to be able to get linemen instate or within our 500 mile region. Then we could get the skill players from Florida, Texas, Cali etc. There doesn't seem to be the number of the offensive line prospects in this state like in the past. Pelini prioritized Texas, Riley California, and Frost Florida. The days of developing linemen in the weight room for 2-3 years seem to be over. Boyd Epley not in charge of strength training was a huge loss that we really haven't recovered from yet.
I could not disagree with this more. There re still plenty of Olinemen that could be developed in state. Many are just a bit smaller out of Hs. Maybe 240-250 lbs. Put them in tje weight room for 2 years. Tada 300÷. But it takes patience. Even over our long nightmare. Our best Olinemen. Guys who went to the NFL. Were mostly home grown.

I could not disagree with this more. There re still plenty of Olinemen that could be developed in state. Many are just a bit smaller out of Hs. Maybe 240-250 lbs. Put them in tje weight room for 2 years. Tada 300÷. But it takes patience. Even over our long nightmare. Our best Olinemen. Guys who went to the NFL. Were mostly home grown.
Yeah maybe they are out there but we haven't recruited them heavily and lacked the ability to develop them like in the past. Strength and conditioning program isn't near what it used to be. Hopefully Rhule can change that! Any decent lineman we have had seemed to have to play early before they were completely ready. Again no development

Last edited:
I think we’ll see this. Maybe not in the numbers from the 70s-90s teams, but I would be surprised if NU doesn’t “build” a few very good linemen in the next few years. HCMR very much capitalizes on these ideals already with skill positions. Recruit speed, athleticism, and potential — train in more football skills. Great success there. Same principles at play with the O-line. And a coach/program where they are focused on long-term development. If I were an undersized/under-recruited o-lineman, I’d want to walk on at NU.

Our line has been a mess since Pelini left and we've been in a perpetual state of chasing guys for the now not guys for the future. How many underclassmen have started for us on the OL over the last 6-8 years? I'd bet that number exceeds what we had in the entire Osborne era. With some of the kids Rhule/Raiola are bringing in right now, maybe that shift will start to happen again. Whether they come from in-state or not, I don't feel passionately about... only that we start getting more development out of that room. Based on last year, that appears to already be happening.

Start where the best talent is.
You mean the Calibradka kids that did not stick around? Or how about the Flobraska kids. Oh most of them did not stick around either. Point is unless you have enough local kids to help them see how great this place is. They leave.

You mean the Calibradka kids that did not stick around? Or how about the Flobraska kids. Oh most of them did not stick around either. Point is unless you have enough local kids to help them see how great this place is. They leave.

I remember, I believe it was from the 94 championship documentary, Clinton Childs was talking about Lawrence Phillips. Anyway he said he was the best RB he had ever seen, but he was kinda lazy at first. He said he knew he had to work harder when he saw all these walk ons killing him in the weight room.

Local kids at least back then were the heart and soul of the team. You want to get back to that point again.

Homegrown with superior S&C in the past. S&C has evolved and it isn't the advantage we had.

Cook values the state and its volleyball talent, but our four frosh starters on last years NCAA Runnersup team were from Michigan, N Carolina, South Dakota, and Colorado, and our transfer was from Alabama via Florida. So don’t overlook the state, but do what you need to.

Agree. Volleyball is a rough comparison though — like hoops — because a much smaller roster and most of those girls could be starting right now for a lot of squads. Football needs bodies. A lot of bodies. Depth. Special teams. Practice looks. A lot of room for dozens of guys who aren’t necessarily getting game minutes. So definitely look nationwide, of course, but even the most talented rosters in the country still have most of their guys from in-state. (At NU, because of population, I wash in KS, IA, SD, ND, WY, and CO as “in-state” to level up.) Some of the roster numbers are obviously due to a higher concentration of talent in places like Georgia, Michigan, Ohio, etc., but my point is that the best programs always build inside out, with a good mix of local/regional and national blue-chips. The 100+ player rosters tell the story. A lot of home-grown kids on those Michigan rosters are not from Detroit metro, home-grown Georgia rosters are not from Atlanta metro, and so on. It’s part of what makes college football so special.

No I mean guys like Tommy Frazier, Mike Rozier, IM Hipp, Broderick Thomas, Lavonte David. I suppose you want HH over DR because he is from Nebraska. Do we stop going after your hallowed Philippines?

Cook values the state and its volleyball talent, but our four frosh starters on last years NCAA Runnersup team were from Michigan, N Carolina, South Dakota, and Colorado, and our transfer was from Alabama via Florida. So don’t overlook the state, but do what you need to.
Exactly. It’s a dumb narrative to push local when we can grab higher talent from all over the country.

Homegrown with superior S&C in the past. S&C has evolved and it isn't the advantage we had.
So you are saying it cannot be done anymore?
Seemed to work for Spencer Long
Long attended Elkhorn High School in Elkhorn, Nebraska. He played defensive end on the Antlers football team, and also played baseball. He walked on to the Nebraska Cornhuskers football team for the 2009 season. He redshirted in 2009, and did not appear in a game in 2010. In 2011, Long was one of three Nebraska offensive linemen to start in all of the Huskers' games. He also started in every game during the 2012 season. In 2013, he played in only six games before suffering a season-ending knee injury.[1]
What happened after that? Oh he just went on to play in the NFL for 7 years.

How about this guy?
Jurgens began his freshman season at tight end and appeared in one game before suffering a foot injury and redshirting the rest of the season.[3] After recovering from his injury, he began to practice at the interior offensive line.[4] Jurgens ultimately moved to the center position and was named the Cornhuskers starter going into his redshirt freshman season. He started all 12 of Nebraska's games and was the first freshman to start at center for the team since NCAA restored freshmen eligibility in 1972.[5] Jurgens started seven of Nebraska's eight games in the team's COVID-19-shortened 2020 season.[6] As a redshirt junior, he started all 12 of the Cornhusker's games and was named third-team All-Big Ten Conference by the leagues coaches.[7] Following the end of the season, Jurgens declared that he would forgo his redshirt senior season and enter the 2022 NFL draft.[8]
Started out as a TE. So I am going to render a guess that he was not even near 300 lbs. when he started at NE. He went in the weight room and got there. Now he is the handpicked choice to replace possibly the greatest center in NFL history.

Lastly let this sink in, from Juju
I remember, I believe it was from the 94 championship documentary, Clinton Childs was talking about Lawrence Phillips. Anyway he said he was the best RB he had ever seen, but he was kinda lazy at first. He said he knew he had to work harder when he saw all these walk ons killing him in the weight room.

Local kids at least back then were the heart and soul of the team. You want to get back to that point again.
If one of the best to do it ON THE FIELD at Nebraska can see the value. Not sure why you can't.

We get it. In your mind no Nebraska kids should ever be allowed on the team. Thank you for your input.
Make up your own narrative and falsities. I never said that. I’m replying to your notion that Cook and Rhule are concentrating on getting Nebraska kids and developing them. That’s a total bs statement. Cook has had a few more Nebraska girls lately due to the Nebraska talent that has become available at a given time.

I don’t want to do the numbers but I doubt we have many more Nebraska scholarship players on the roster now than we have averaged over the last 20 years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back