• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Requesting Prayers for my Wife (updated 2023 - see p. 78)

My friend, I went through a life-threatening situation where my heart stopped twice a few times before being brought back.

My experience: The ICU folks are superb...and staffed properly with great folks who are highly skilled.

But once out of ICU and into a ward the situation changes and it becomes necessary for you or a loved one to step in and firmly “guide”....

And I don’t think it’s because the people don’t care or are less skilled. I think they are not as well staffed, probably extremely overworked and especially during this pandemic, I will bet they are exhausted both physically and emotionally.

My recommendation is that absolutely as much as possible, you or another trusted family member be with her at all times....especially night time. If that means sleeping bag in a chair...so be it. Of course you have to be careful of your own health and the pandemic adds more complications but she needs an ADVOCATE who can be firm and get assistance when needed.

it’s not that these folks don’t want to help....they are just get overwhelmed in the wards. ICUs get the priority.

Worst night I have ever had in my life...to include combat.....was lying in a recovery ward.....knowing things were going wrong, in horrible pain and I needed HELP. Unable to yell because i literaly could only whisper because of the tube that had been down my throat in ICU....pushing the call button 9 million times only to be finaly checked on 6 hours later.

They had had a staffing mixup in the night and an additional individual had gotten ill. Call button was malfunctioning. Didn’t matter...I had not had someone check on me for 6 hours and it should never have been like that. NEVER.

My wife or one of my sons stayed every night from then on till my release. It was hard on them but necessary. One of my sons finagled a special recliner to be put in the room and it went better after that. They also tried to tell us no visitors after certain hours but my wife went ballistic and they relented. Especially after the way they had dropped the ball on me.

I have no idea what the hospital rules are during this pandemic but the bottom line is is you cannot leave her in a recovery ward alone. Possibly you could set up some kind of computer connection where she could raise you remotely? I just don’t know but I do know that having someone right there in the room that can get out of a chair and move around and raise hell for her will be best.

Excellent advice, John. It's sounding more and more like this is typical. Thanks for your input.

Thank you for that, RedStones. I appreciate all the support I'm getting from everyone on here. Makes me feel like we're all a big family, in this together.

My Sis-in-law (Steph's twin) is more of a natural "bulldog" than I am -- so she's being the bad cop in this (as a rule) while I try to stay on people's good side. I don't want to make the providers so upset with me that they're not helpful. On the other hand, I'm learning that I need to refuse to take "no" for an answer, because too many of the staff at the LTAC will do everything they can to slack off and make excuses why not to help. And the attending physician didn't even know that Steph was just transferred from Piedmont ATL -- she thought she came from the previous hospital.

It's like I have to fight every minute or she won't get the care she needs. Ugh!!

It can be very frustrating. Especially at first. My dad had a stroke. ICU support was great but once he was released to general support it was so different. At first it seemed nobody knew what was going on and I basically had to manage everyone. To the point of having to tell nurses and even Dr's. what his primary physician wanted done. It's not that these people were bad or uncaring. They were just so unorganized. Within a few days though things became much more routine and we all started feeling like family. Many of the nurses I initially thought were idiots turned out to be very caring people who would do anything for my dad. Anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry for the most recent news. Continue to stay involved and push through so she gets the care she needs. Praying for total recovery and that she will get the proper care for her. Also praying that you build relationships with key people so that they are advocates for Steph’s care.

Every care facility has different standards. Sad part is that some have two standards: the stated care plan and then the real plan! Find the advo ate who will strongly listen to you and represent you. Usually this will need to be a management person — social worker may be your person.

Continuing to pray for Steph and you. Also pray for those assigned to care for her. Pray that God will give them His heart and compassion.

Thank you Elwood for your ongoing witness of faith in Jesus Christ!

Asking for prayers for Steph's peace (and mine). I was with her yesterday, and she was totally calm and in good spirits. It's a night and day difference if she has someone (a loved one) with her, vs. being alone in a strange room, with poor response from medical staff. When I'm not there and she's alone, she freaks out. I was in a Duo call with her this morning (another story - she had her nurse try and FaceTime call me and her sister, and it wouldn't connect; very difficult to even get communication) and she was very agitated and wants me there to comfort her. Currently they allow only 2 days/week visitation but I've been trying to get an exception for Steph's unique case.

I want to go there NOW and break through security to see her!

Asking for prayers for Steph's peace (and mine). I was with her yesterday, and she was totally calm and in good spirits. It's a night and day difference if she has someone (a loved one) with her, vs. being alone in a strange room, with poor response from medical staff. When I'm not there and she's alone, she freaks out. I was in a Duo call with her this morning (another story - she had her nurse try and FaceTime call me and her sister, and it wouldn't connect; very difficult to even get communication) and she was very agitated and wants me there to comfort her. Currently they allow only 2 days/week visitation but I've been trying to get an exception for Steph's unique case.

Well you sure have my prayers to be sure. This has turned into a long fight for you and Steph. Just know you are not alone, we are all with you. We are all here for you and we will all see this through.

This really hits home for me.

My wife has suffered from anxiety for over a decade now (largely brought on from my travel for work) and it was always very difficult to calm her remotely. I can't imagine the added frustration and stress her illness adds to the mix for your both.

Really hope she recovers quickly and this is behind you both.

Praying for favor, discernment, comfort, and peace!

EvK: Prayers for both of you continue … easier said that done to suppress Steph's anxiety. You are probably more well versed i the Bible than I am … but, I offer these for your comfort:

Philippians 4:6-7 – Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

1 Peter 5:7 – Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

John 14:27 – Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Prayers continue.

Isaiah 40:31
“But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”

Isaiah 41:10
“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

Psalm 34:4
“I sought the LORD, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears.”

Psalm 56:3
"When I am afraid, I put my trust in you."

Hebrews 13:6
"So we can confidently say, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?'"

I haven't been in the forums in months . Praying for the people in this thread and all that are struggling with Covid. My daughter graduated from nursing school in May and she has been thrust into the middle of this pandemic. The spikes we are experiencing here are pushing the hospitals to their limits again. Please pray for our healthcare workers they are physically and emotionally stressed. I would like to challenge people to do what you can to support your local healthcare workers. We loaded my daughters shift with a bunch of pizzas and cinnabuns last night. We also bought her a bunch of of Dunkin Donuts gift certificates to pass out. I plan to do this again at a later date so they know how much I appreciate them. I'm not saying this to brag but to give people ideas of how they could help out if so inclined. This would be a great way for a church group or coworkers to come together to do something nice. Ya'll stay safe hopefully this will be behind it soon.

Elwood, this was sent to me by a friend in Alabama. I thought of you.

1607477234302.png

So when you’re on your knees
And answers seem
So far away
You’re not alone; stop holding on
And just be held
Your world’s not falling apart
It’s falling into place
I’m on the throne; stop holding on
And just be held
(from “Just Be Held” by Casting Crowns)

A month ago, we were in a place where all we could do was pray and rely on God to heal Steph (and Praise Him for working miracles!). Now in the past week, we’re in a situation where we feel like we need to fight with everything we have (which we do) to get Steph the best care (or even at least adequate care). But we still need to realize that GOD IS ON HIS THRONE and is in control of it all. He has begun opening some doors late today… after what seems like a week of fighting and scratching with little to show for it.

Good news is, Steph was on the “trach collar” (OFF the ventilator, breathing on her own with supplemental O2) for 12 hours yesterday. And her SpO2 was 96~98% the whole time! So, one step closer to getting her out of there. And getting her out of there is our immediate goal…

And they also put a speaking valve in. Steph spoke the first words I’ve heard her speak since 10/22! At first it was hard to understand, but her words got clearer as the day went on. Today she's been on the trach collar for what we hope will be 24 hours, and she's spoken to both sisters and Mom today. Unfortunately one thing she's been saying is "Get me out of here"...

Please pray for God’s peace to come over Steph, as she’s still wanting to get out of there (I don’t blame her at all, though we have to make the best of the situation we’re in). And praise God for His blessings!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back