• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Requesting Prayers for my Wife (updated 2023 - see p. 78)

Awesome! More great news friend, thank you for sharing. Hope you are doing well ... you gotta take care of yourself as well. Hang in there.
I've been doing well, and I've been getting some respite now that I'm "banished" from the hospital. But it's become so routine, going in to see her every day, that I feel a little out of place stuck at home.

I've been doing well, and I've been getting some respite now that I'm "banished" from the hospital. But it's become so routine, going in to see her every day, that I feel a little out of place stuck at home.
So happy for you Elwood and your wife...so good to hear the positive improvements!! Don’t take them for granted. My wife has been working ICU at UNMC this month and while everyone is slowly getting better at treating folks with COVID-19, not every family gets to see the improvements like you have been able to. Keep the faith, and keep being that rock for your wife!!!!!

EVK--given my over 16 years in healthcare--WHEN Steph is transferred to long-term care, I suggest the following: Visit her different times of the day when different shifts of caregivers are working; don't visit the same time of day--change it up--sometimes, you may have to go in at 200 am to visit her. Get to know the names of the, "charge nurses." Make your visits anything but "routine." The element of "surprise" can be valuable in your total assessment of the care which Steph receives AFTER she leaves the hospital. I offer these comments because I care about you/Steph and, your family! GOD BLESS!

Happy to hear that Steph is making progress. Stay strong, and continue to be there for your bride ANY WAY YOU CAN! I know I mentioned this earlier, but it's worth repeating. You have been an inspiration for me this past month with how you have handled this situation and have helped me to get through my own unfortunate family situation. Thank you for sharing your story with us, and being a guiding light.

EVK--given my over 16 years in healthcare--WHEN Steph is transferred to long-term care, I suggest the following: Visit her different times of the day when different shifts of caregivers are working; don't visit the same time of day--change it up--sometimes, you may have to go in at 200 am to visit her. Get to know the names of the, "charge nurses." Make your visits anything but "routine." The element of "surprise" can be valuable in your total assessment of the care which Steph receives AFTER she leaves the hospital. I offer these comments because I care about you/Steph and, your family! GOD BLESS!
Thanks for the advice. Since the visiting hours have been restricted due to COVID, I've been there practically ALL of the available hours. And (I've noticed this more now that they've cut off visitation) it makes a world of difference to be there; infinitely easier to see the monitors and know exactly what's going on... and to ask questions in person of the nurses, doctors, & other staff. Whereas on the phone, you need to ask specific questions for every specific detail you want. Zoom is great, but "there's nothing like being there."

More good news... with a slight change of plans (but nothing we haven't already been through). Steph continues to improve every day! She was cleared and scheduled to go to LTAC yesterday. But the LTAC facility uses a different ventilator mode than what they've had her on in the ICU, so they decided to have her on the new vent settings for a day, before moving her to the new location. It was a bit more of a struggle for her at first (she had been on that mode before, but never for more than a couple hours), but she was doing well last night.

I had asked her nurse yesterday if I could speak with the nephrologist (who's a rock star, but hard to get a hold of b/c he's so busy). She said "I think he may have some good news" -- her kidney function is coming back! Hallelujah! Praise our Savior Christ Jesus!

Also, her nurse from yesterday hadn't seen her in a few days, and was so happy to see what progress she's made in that short time! She said "Stephanie is one of our biggest success stories!"

Hi, Elwood.

I just looked through this thread for the first time and, before I say anything else, you have my best wishes for a full recovery for Mrs. von Kiowa.

But I want to thank you for this thread. My brother has been on a ventilator for the past ten days and your thread reads like an identical timeline to what he has gone through...though about three weeks behind your wife. My family and I have sought clarity about what we might expect if/when he survives the vent. Your thread is the most helpful thing I've found yet.

Again, best wishes for you and my prayers for a full recovery for your wife.

More good news... with a slight change of plans (but nothing we haven't already been through). Steph continues to improve every day! She was cleared and scheduled to go to LTAC yesterday. But the LTAC facility uses a different ventilator mode than what they've had her on in the ICU, so they decided to have her on the new vent settings for a day, before moving her to the new location. It was a bit more of a struggle for her at first (she had been on that mode before, but never for more than a couple hours), but she was doing well last night.

I had asked her nurse yesterday if I could speak with the nephrologist (who's a rock star, but hard to get a hold of b/c he's so busy). She said "I think he may have some good news" -- her kidney function is coming back! Hallelujah! Praise our Savior Christ Jesus!

Also, her nurse from yesterday hadn't seen her in a few days, and was so happy to see what progress she's made in that short time! She said "Stephanie is one of our biggest success stories!"
Best part of HM is reading your updates ... so thankful Steph is making such notable improvement. Many blessings to you both!

Hi, Elwood.

I just looked through this thread for the first time and, before I say anything else, you have my best wishes for a full recovery for Mrs. von Kiowa.

But I want to thank you for this thread. My brother has been on a ventilator for the past ten days and your thread reads like an identical timeline to what he has gone through...though about three weeks behind your wife. My family and I have sought clarity about what we might expect if/when he survives the vent. Your thread is the most helpful thing I've found yet.

Lil' All 'N' and I are praying for your brother, you and your family, and your brother's medical team. May you find the God's peace, strength, health, and comfort.

I passed this update on to my prayer warrior friend. Here is her text back to me...

"She's a God story! He's writing it and it's gonna turn out awesome! I am so grateful for these updates it makes me want to pray and trust him even more just to see what he's got planned for Steph's life!"

Last edited:

Years ago, I too went through something similar, and you two's triumphs are triumps indeed.
Again, bless you both, let the Lord carry you through these darkened days, you can see but a glimmer of His light, but of course, though but a glimmer, it it glorious!

Hi, Elwood.

I am praying for your brother as well. Obviously I don't know his exact condition or how he's handling the mental aspect of the ventilator, but with Steph it was a serious roadblock mentally to be intubated. Getting the trach was the best thing for her recovery (well actually God's hand of healing was the best thing...). Of course the hospital may require a minimum time before they do the trach, but if it looks like he's going to be on the ventilator for an extended time, I'd strongly recommend pushing for the trach.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back