• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Recruits Visiting for Wisconsin Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been painfully obvious for years now to the objective observer. It probably is the biggest responsibility of a coach because any amount of scheme or talent is taxed to the breaking point by poor execution.

I love the heart of this team but the pattern keeps repeating itself. The question is why? The question was asked throughout the post-game press conference but each time it was answered the respondent looked like a deer in headlights without a clue how to fix it. It was almost as if the question should not be asked but it is what is holding NU back, each year, from making serious waves in college football.

Maybe the fishbowl is too much pressure...

I think they wind themselves up too tight that they lose focus. There is such a thing as being too ramped up, and I think that may be an issue. It seems once we calm down and just play, good things happen.

I think they wind themselves up too tight that they lose focus. There is such a thing as being too ramped up, and I think that may be an issue. It seems once we calm down and just play, good things happen.

This. The toughest half a foot to control is the 6" between the ears sometimes. This is a maturing team...not mature yet. Confidence is mostly built, not innate. The confidence from taking that game back over, especially physically, after pooping the bed for a quarter and a half, is pretty important to how this team will react the rest of the way. They were overhyped...it's something we have seen often. No wonder Bo is always preaching an even keeled approach.

This. The toughest half a foot to control is the 6" between the ears sometimes. This is a maturing team...not mature yet. Confidence is mostly built, not innate. The confidence from taking that game back over, especially physically, after pooping the bed for a quarter and a half, is pretty important to how this team will react the rest of the way. They were overhyped...it's something we have seen often. No wonder Bo is always preaching an even keeled approach.

I agree about getting too hyped when it comes to the offense and trying to do too much. On the other side of the ball though, seemed the defense played better when they fed off the crowd and got riled up.

Wish I could say I didnt see it coming.

This game is only confirming my opinion that Pelini's scheme is too complicated. Sorry my Nebraska friends, but your Huskers are in trouble.

That was a great comeback, reminiscent of the Ohio State game last year.
I still think there are major concerns going forward for Nebraska and feel they will struggle badly against Ohio State next week and then Michigan in a few more. They still don't have an answer for mobile QBs and I don't see them finding one. Lets face it, for 35 minutes of that game they were being dominated and making stupid, bone-headed mistakes. In 'Big' games under Pelini, Nebraska seemingly always loses the turnover battle (badly) and has more penalties than their opponent. If not for that exciting comeback, I think Pelini would be catching a lot of grief. I don't think he would be on a hot seat, but I think someone would have at least turned on the furnace under his chair.

Good comeback, good win...but this was not 2011 Wisconsin. Lets be honest, UCLA and Wisconsin are not elite teams, and IMPO Nebraska should not be getting slapped around by teams who are on those teams levels. Nebraska dominated three inferior teams and then when they faced two average BCS teams, they were a comeback of the ages away from getting embarrassed twice.

I would temper my enthusiasm about the DL. They have definitely gotten better as the season has progressed, and really looked like a different unit in the second half last night. I would only point out that Bret Bielema has his worst OL since taking over in '06. Bielema lost 2/3 of his assistants and now has his OL being coached by a GA after firing his OL coach Mike Markuson, who was in his first year in Madison. And for a half, they outplayed the Husker DL.

I look back at the UCLA OL that had 3 freshman playing the OL's most important positions (both tackle spots and center) and what they did. I think the real test as to where the DL has progressed will come against the Buckeyes. OT Jack Mewhort, OG Andrew Norwell and OG Marcus Hall are All-B1G caliber players. A strong argument can be made they have the best OL in the conference.

Like I pointed out before though, my biggest concern with Bo Pelini and his Nebraska teams are the inordinate amount of fumbles and consistently out penalizing opponents. You cannot be a consistent winning team with those two issues always coming up...always...and they do.

I didn't think to bring up the challenge the Husker OL would have against the Buckeye DL.

Much like the DL in the first half, the OL also played poorly in the first half against Wisconsin only to look night and day come the second half. The OL is going to get a real test from Ohio State. Johnathan Hankins and John Simon are All-B1G players and Garrett Goebel is more than solid. Rounding out their front 7, LBs Etienne Sabino and Ryan Shazier are very solid on the outside and MLB Curtis Grant has a very bright future.

Nebraska is going to find out a lot about their lines come Saturday thats for sure.

N2FL, you certainly had your Karnak hat on with that post! With performances like last night, we have lost all our chances with top flight athletes that were considering us. Everyone keeps saying it is hard to get a kid to leave Florida, Texas, or California, but if this staff can't figure our a way to make that happen, we will continue to see results like last night.I don't know the answer, but the staff needs to find a way to get talent on both lines or all the amazing skill players we have will stop considering the Huskers.

N2FL you nailed it; I wish you had been wrong; first quarter and a half, we were definitely in it, even with the interception. What did we have three or four or five three and outs, then something happened. What? Maybe you or *** can explain it. I saw the game, but did not understand what happened beyond generalities. Why did we give up on blitzes, or did we keep after it, but they weren't getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back