• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Recruits Visiting for Wisconsin Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

We dominated ourselves.

I don't really want to be bringing a rain cloud everywhere, but at some point you have to wonder why we do that so often. I think N2FL is right.

Let's hope the Huskers can build on this though. If they can start playing consistently like we did in the second half, we'll be fine.

N2FL is pretty spot on. You guys can bring up miscues and junk all day long. Execution is a want and have to issue, you just do it. A senior dominated team should not be making these mistakes. At first the excuses were we play better on the road than at home because there is less pressure from the fans or the crowd being loud on defense makes it hard for us to check into plays at home when we're on defense. We gave the same excuses for Texas, Wisconsin last year, Michigan last year and on and on. The same tired excuses about execution and the ball bouncing this way or that.

Be honest with yourself, the play speaks volumes. The issue is which team is going to show up and why a string of miscues happens to this team...not just A fumble. Wisconsin and UCLA are not great teams and we will see how good we actually are this next month. We lost to NORTHWESTERN for god sakes last year.......at home! Be realistic, we're going on the road next week against a better defense. We need complete games, not halves. That won't happen every time and result in a win.

Last edited:

However, that kind of atmosphere with recruits on the fence has got to get them excited. A come back win like that has got to change some minds or solidify decisions. I would imagine one or two pull the trigger soon.

I would temper my enthusiasm about the DL. They have definitely gotten better as the season has progressed, and really looked like a different unit in the second half last night. I would only point out that Bret Bielema has his worst OL since taking over in '06. Bielema lost 2/3 of his assistants and now has his OL being coached by a GA after firing his OL coach Mike Markuson, who was in his first year in Madison. And for a half, they outplayed the Husker DL.

I look back at the UCLA OL that had 3 freshman playing the OL's most important positions (both tackle spots and center) and what they did. I think the real test as to where the DL has progressed will come against the Buckeyes. OT Jack Mewhort, OG Andrew Norwell and OG Marcus Hall are All-B1G caliber players. A strong argument can be made they have the best OL in the conference.

Like I pointed out before though, my biggest concern with Bo Pelini and his Nebraska teams are the inordinate amount of fumbles and consistently out penalizing opponents. You cannot be a consistent winning team with those two issues always coming up...always...and they do.

N2FL is pretty spot on. You guys can bring up miscues and junk all day long. Execution is a want and have to issue, you just do it. A senior dominated team should not be making these mistakes. At first the excuses were we play better on the road than at home because there is less pressure from the fans or the crowd being loud on defense makes it hard for us to check into plays at home when we're on defense. We gave the same excuses for Texas, Wisconsin last year, Michigan last year and on and on. The same tired excuses about execution and the ball bouncing this way or that.

Be honest with yourself, the play speaks volumes. The issue is which team is going to show up and why a string of miscues happens to this team...not just A fumble. Wisconsin and UCLA are not great teams and we will see how good we actually are this next month. We lost to NORTHWESTERN for god sakes last year.......at home! Be realistic, we're going on the road next week against a better defense. We need complete games, not halves. That won't happen every time and result in a win.

I didn't think to bring up the challenge the Husker OL would have against the Buckeye DL.

Much like the DL in the first half, the OL also played poorly in the first half against Wisconsin only to look night and day come the second half. The OL is going to get a real test from Ohio State. Johnathan Hankins and John Simon are All-B1G players and Garrett Goebel is more than solid. Rounding out their front 7, LBs Etienne Sabino and Ryan Shazier are very solid on the outside and MLB Curtis Grant has a very bright future.

Nebraska is going to find out a lot about their lines come Saturday thats for sure.

Like I pointed out before though, my biggest concern with Bo Pelini and his Nebraska teams are the inordinate amount of fumbles and consistently out penalizing opponents. You cannot be a consistent winning team with those two issues always coming up...always...and they do.

This has been painfully obvious for years now to the objective observer. It probably is the biggest responsibility of a coach because any amount of scheme or talent is taxed to the breaking point by poor execution.

I love the heart of this team but the pattern keeps repeating itself. The question is why? The question was asked throughout the post-game press conference but each time it was answered the respondent looked like a deer in headlights without a clue how to fix it. It was almost as if the question should not be asked but it is what is holding NU back, each year, from making serious waves in college football.

Maybe the fishbowl is too much pressure...

Pellini would be in the frying pan if the 2nd half turned out like the first.
Thankfully it did not.
Braxston and Robinson gives everyone fits. Pellini will have to adjust his scheme to slow either one of them down.

lets also see if the coaches make the DL go back to the dancing with the stars mentality with a mobile QB. or will we keep attacking. the hold the line of scrimmage did not work out so well at ucla if i remember right. to slow of DE's. the QB just out runs them anyways. collapse the pocket and meet at the QB.

Oh man! Finally, someone else that isn't drinking the Kool-Aid. The win last night was great, but NU just doesn't show me enough yet to get all excited. In fact, I'm quite the opposite. I'd love for this team to use the win last night and build off of, and maybe they will. But I just don't see it yet. Too many issues still that plague this team.

Nothing wrong with trying to rationalize what goes wrong. We're fans, not reporters.

I don't want to follow my team with a critical eye.

Oh man! Finally, someone else that isn't drinking the Kool-Aid. The win last night was great, but NU just doesn't show me enough yet to get all excited. In fact, I'm quite the opposite. I'd love for this team to use the win last night and build off of, and maybe they will. But I just don't see it yet. Too many issues still that plague this team.

Agreed. But N2, I watched the OSU/MSU game and wasn't that impressed with OSU LB play. But, they have a very good DL and some real talented db's. Meyer has miller running the zone read option, but miller isn't that good with his reads yet. milloer had a hyperextended knee and strained hip, but finished the game.

Agreed. But N2, I watched the OSU/MSU game and wasn't that impressed with OSU LB play. But, they have a very good DL and some real talented db's. Meyer has miller running the zone read option, but miller isn't that good with his reads yet. milloer had a hyperextended knee and strained hip, but finished the game.

I think NU will have a tough time this week vs osu, but osu is definitely beatable if NU can just consistently play its game for a full 4 quarters

I would temper my enthusiasm about the DL. They have definitely gotten better as the season has progressed, and really looked like a different unit in the second half last night. I would only point out that Bret Bielema has his worst OL since taking over in '06. Bielema lost 2/3 of his assistants and now has his OL being coached by a GA after firing his OL coach Mike Markuson, who was in his first year in Madison. And for a half, they outplayed the Husker DL.

I look back at the UCLA OL that had 3 freshman playing the OL's most important positions (both tackle spots and center) and what they did. I think the real test as to where the DL has progressed will come against the Buckeyes. OT Jack Mewhort, OG Andrew Norwell and OG Marcus Hall are All-B1G caliber players. A strong argument can be made they have the best OL in the conference.

Jeez, I used to like your posts......:stickouttongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back