• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Reality for this season

IMHO, the reality for Nebraska is probably not much different than what we have seen the last few years. I say this for 2 main reasons.

1. The schedule is incredibly tough.
2. We do not have a proven offense to put up points.

I think it simply comes down to those two things. We do know our defense is good which could be the X-factor. However, with all the hype around the new offensive players (receivers, RBs etc. etc.), we have to remember they haven't seen game action yet. As far as expectations go, I think it's fair to expect a losing season as much as that hurts to say. Our goal this year should be win 6 and go to a bowl game. I see 6 as the ceiling. GBR no matter what!
Our defense is good enough to keep us in most games, but not good enough to make up for deficiencies with the offense (like the 09 defense).

The offense has got to pick it up this year if we are going to have success, no way around it.

for me, if the offense is doing what it's supposed to (i.e, add clock consumption to its core principles), then this defense will very likely be top 10.
That’s a fine recipe for success, but mostly, they haven’t been that. Maybe that is changing. I sure hope so. I’m not a fan of the hurry up mode most of the game. I think there is a place for up tempo pace, and not just in the last two minutes. You just have to let the defense rest some. You won’t lose very many games holding the ball for 35 min + per, at least not imo. Unless you have an OU offense, scoring at will oftentimes, you just can’t do it. When you run up tempo and can’t score, you will lose most of the time. Pick your spots, feel the game flow, and don’t get too cute.

I don’t want Oregon style option. I want what Scott ran at NU himself. True option, not just the QB sprinting out, run it right. It’s devastating if you know how, and can incorporate it in to what you already do. Like I mentioned, he most certainly knows how to do it.
I do too, notice we have no FBs?
By mixing, I meant that this along with a spread, a off speed type of thing, where they cant switch out on D, figure out a good run personnel package from base, and switch over to I formation a half dozen times a game.
By locking is say a nickel package from the opponents D, it would create mismatches, cause Ds to practice for it, and would be effective.

In a coaches clinic SF talks about tempo, practicing for tempo, and defending it. He emphasizes WR blocking and how they teach it. "We had a saying at Oregon, no block no rock." SF needs to do what he knows and does best.

Slide from his talk.

1620347038678.png

"People ask me what to run out of tempo. It's simple to me, run what you do best. I mean I was an option quarterback at Nebraska. We ran speed option, and lead option, and trap option, and g-option, and traps, and all this stuff. I would have like to have seen what that would have looked like if we would have made it a tempo offense like Oregon. I think we would have murdered people. I mean....literally. If I was at Nebraska where we can't get the speed that we could get at Oregon or UCF, I think it'd be a great offense to run. If you are a power team and your hook is to out physical people, great do it at tempo. Get more plays off." -Frost

C

Last edited:

Nostradamus says ........ (and ESPN Gameday hosts plus elephant ears)

XF3MgWe.png

• Loss opening season game against Illini. Excuse, lots of NU newbie players.
  • Two cupcake victories against Fordham and BuffaloU.
  • Five losses in a row, Gooners, MSU, Fritz, Meechickens and Row the Boat Rodents.
  • One O.T. win ...... Purdoo. :Woohoo:
  • Back to two losses ...... Bucks and Wiskey. Probably lopsided scores.
  • Upset! Down goes Frazier Birds! ... Down goes Frazier Birds ! ... Down goes Frazier Birds !
Thus, 4 wins and 8 losses. No bowl streak continues :Cry:

Last edited:
Nostradamus says ........ (and ESPN Gameday hosts plus elephant ears)

XF3MgWe.png

• Loss opening season game against Illini. Excuse, lots of NU newbie players.
  • Two cupcake victories against Fordham and BuffaloU.
  • Five losses in a row, Gooners, MSU, Fritz, Meechickens and Row the Boat Rodents.
  • One O.T. win ...... Purdoo. :Woohoo:
  • Back to two losses ...... Bucks and Wiskey. Probably lopsided scores.
  • Upset! Down goes Frazier Birds! ... Down goes Frazier Birds ! ... Down goes Frazier Birds !
Thus, 4 wins and 8 losses. No bowl streak continues :Cry:
I don't understand such mentality. Honestly, if that's how our season turns out, we should not only fire HCSF, but we should eliminate NU FB.

Well, no thanks to you, they got a hit from me
Thanks for the link. But based on that, we're going 6-6. We're above Illinois & MSU. Of course, the FPI only makes predictions based on past performance -- which is an incredibly foolish assumption in 2021 college FB.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back