• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Reality for this season

I also have concerns with the offense. Sure, if everything clicks based on talent alone, but we are not more experienced on offense than last season. And our QB depth concerns me. Will we actually utilize our running backs and limit Martinez's carries? Can Martinez be a capable downfield passer to take advantage of the fact that we are probably more loaded at receiving options than anywhere else? The offensive line is not more experienced than last season, but it is possibly more talented -- will that be enough?

But I'm also not convinced the schedule is incredibly tough.

There's two games we shouldn't expect to win: OU and OSU.

Michigan is next, but they've really only been the 3rd or 4th best team in the Big Ten East the past few seasons (and were horrible last season, FWIW). OSU is clearly better, Penn State is typically better, and Indiana has recently been better. This is the type of team I would have expected any four-year coach to be at least capable of beating with the game in Lincoln.

Illinois, Fordham, and Buffalo (especially now without their head coach) are teams we should have beaten by halftime.

Purdue is not far behind that group above. Same with Michigan State.

Northwestern has the fewest returning starters of any team in the Big Ten.

That's six wins (Illinois, Fordham, Buffalo, Purdue, Michigan State, Northwestern) that we should win with our talent level alone. I'm not necessarily saying we will win them all, but a good coach in year four should win them all.

That leaves Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa. Just win one of those, and you're at 7 wins. And again, that's with me chalking up Michigan as a loss -- but I really don't think we should have to, as the Wolverines have not been juggernauts the past four years -- only top 15 one of those four (#14 in 2018). And again, that game is in Lincoln.

Making it even easier:
2 losses: OU and OSU
Win 5 of these 6: Illinois, Fordham, Buffalo, Purdue, Michigan State, Northwestern
Win 1 of these 4: Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa

And you've got 6 wins and a bowl game. That seems not at all unrealistic. If you truly believe the 2021 Huskers will be a significant step better than any of Frost's other NU teams, you could find 7-8 wins on that schedule. Nobody is demanding 9-10 wins.

That schedule is only incredibly tough because Nebraska has been incredibly poor.
Hard to argue any of that. It’s pretty spot on imo. The last sentence says all that needs to be said.

Last edited:
The W-L record has been accurate, ranking is where it was off but that is because NU sucked worse than the FPI predicted for rankings. Actually more of an indictment on NU than the FPI. So the FPI this year has NU at 6-6 which is where many have them finishing from professional journalists down to quality contributors on this board. But, "ESPN".

C
I get it, if it werent for their fpi on the one end, and them rating teams on the other, for them,there is no escape from ridicule, see it as how you wish.

1620500963105.png

C

Gfa3qZR.png

Can't wait. 112 days to go. :eek:
Just read this:

"Nebraska started and finished spring ball late, but will kick off preseason camp early since it's playing Illinois on Aug. 28, which is “Week Zero” on the college football calendar.

Teams can begin camp 29 days before their first game. That puts Nebraska in line for getting to work July 30, which means players will report back in a day or two before that.

Realistically, the Nebraska players and coaches will be around campus working for most of the time between then and now."

Just read this:

"Nebraska started and finished spring ball late, but will kick off preseason camp early since it's playing Illinois on Aug. 28, which is “Week Zero” on the college football calendar.

Teams can begin camp 29 days before their first game. That puts Nebraska in line for getting to work July 30, which means players will report back in a day or two before that.

Realistically, the Nebraska players and coaches will be around campus working for most of the time between then and now."
I HATE summer time

I'm worried about July/August B1G wigs meeting. Adjust schedule or even cancelled 2021 schedule. COVID thing ......

Carbon copy with 2020 discussion meeting :Facepalm:

Karen Warren still in charge ?

We need to get to 6 and a bowl game, it's inexcusable in year 4 to not have that done yet. Anything lower than that and it will be really tough to come up with a defense of what has gone on. I think we can get to 7, but 8 or more is a really good job by this staff. 4 year starting QB and a pretty good defense returning is a great foundation. Smart move by the staff to get Fordham in early instead of SE Lousiana late. Just don't start out 4-2 then end 5-7 like 2019.

By now our 4 year starting QB should be efficient enough with way less turnovers to give us some of those wins. Turnovers and flags have haunted our offense far too long...
Flags haunted the spring game, too. I'd be surprised if we see a significant improvement in penalties. At this point, I have to assume we're coaching our kids to commit specific penalties or play to a certain level of intensity, and the penalties are a trade-off we're willingly taking.

Ain't that the truth. :Cheer2:

No it's not the truth or you would have been shut down all over the football forum.

As long as the discussion is civil you and everyone else have a right to your opinion

My advice is stop being so defensive and just argue your point. Him calling you a gripper and y'all calling others Sunshine Pumpers seems like a wash to me with both of you pointing fingers

RR

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back