• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Reality for this season

Gfa3qZR.png

Can't wait. 112 days to go. :eek:

Well, no thanks to you, they got a hit from me

Was already looking at that so I could link for you to read. So an algorithm called the FPI predicts NU to go 6-6. Again I ask, and? Are you trying to say that ESPN has a bias against NU? The FPI does not take input from commentators.

C

IMHO, the reality for Nebraska is probably not much different than what we have seen the last few years. I say this for 2 main reasons.

1. The schedule is incredibly tough.
2. We do not have a proven offense to put up points.

I think it simply comes down to those two things. We do know our defense is good which could be the X-factor. However, with all the hype around the new offensive players (receivers, RBs etc. etc.), we have to remember they haven't seen game action yet. As far as expectations go, I think it's fair to expect a losing season as much as that hurts to say. Our goal this year should be win 6 and go to a bowl game. I see 6 as the ceiling. GBR no matter what!

I also have concerns with the offense. Sure, if everything clicks based on talent alone, but we are not more experienced on offense than last season. And our QB depth concerns me. Will we actually utilize our running backs and limit Martinez's carries? Can Martinez be a capable downfield passer to take advantage of the fact that we are probably more loaded at receiving options than anywhere else? The offensive line is not more experienced than last season, but it is possibly more talented -- will that be enough?

But I'm also not convinced the schedule is incredibly tough.

There's two games we shouldn't expect to win: OU and OSU.

Michigan is next, but they've really only been the 3rd or 4th best team in the Big Ten East the past few seasons (and were horrible last season, FWIW). OSU is clearly better, Penn State is typically better, and Indiana has recently been better. This is the type of team I would have expected any four-year coach to be at least capable of beating with the game in Lincoln.

Illinois, Fordham, and Buffalo (especially now without their head coach) are teams we should have beaten by halftime.

Purdue is not far behind that group above. Same with Michigan State.

Northwestern has the fewest returning starters of any team in the Big Ten.

That's six wins (Illinois, Fordham, Buffalo, Purdue, Michigan State, Northwestern) that we should win with our talent level alone. I'm not necessarily saying we will win them all, but a good coach in year four should win them all.

That leaves Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa. Just win one of those, and you're at 7 wins. And again, that's with me chalking up Michigan as a loss -- but I really don't think we should have to, as the Wolverines have not been juggernauts the past four years -- only top 15 one of those four (#14 in 2018). And again, that game is in Lincoln.

Making it even easier:
2 losses: OU and OSU
Win 5 of these 6: Illinois, Fordham, Buffalo, Purdue, Michigan State, Northwestern
Win 1 of these 4: Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa

And you've got 6 wins and a bowl game. That seems not at all unrealistic. If you truly believe the 2021 Huskers will be a significant step better than any of Frost's other NU teams, you could find 7-8 wins on that schedule. Nobody is demanding 9-10 wins.

That schedule is only incredibly tough because Nebraska has been incredibly poor.

Last edited:

Was already looking at that so I could link for you to read. So an algorithm called the FPI predicts NU to go 6-6. Again I ask, and? Are you trying to say that ESPN has a bias against NU? The FPI does not take input from commentators.

C
espn is espn, according to the OWH, a few were saying theres a bias even in the draft fo bama, and no, I'm saying neither.
IMO, like their FPI, it garbage in garbage out for espn

Not a ringing endorsement is it? Chip Kelly isn’t much better at 6.2 and he has much more experience than SF.

If people think what the staff has been recruiting is actuallybeen on the field, theyre wrong, its been mostly transfers and jucos and MR recruits.

The most promising are just now showing up, Corcoran, Benhart, even Wandale showed better than Lindsey ever will.
Guys like Newsome, Farmer, NPG, and hole fillers like Toure and Stepp.

The FPI is going to be very inaccurate in todays college version of free agency.

I agree with the OWH guys, in that guys like Jaimes got a somewhat raw deal, and many didnt make the Big lists and should have, got drafted lower, or not at all, but are in the pros.

We are young, but at the same time, we arent. More, young as to experience, but not a lot of true freshmen bodies, and that matters

A very weird grey area the teams in following covid, but other teams had their traditions broken, LSU, first team ever to win a natty and not have a winning season, Mich, PSU, others as well.
You can bet those teams have to regroup too, but they at least have the experience, the immediate history of knowing how to win etc.

At this point, saying we will be better is a no brainer, but how many of the broken things will be fixed and how many bars are set on offense, with this all concerning consistency and learning to win, who knows how much better.

6-6 isnt sexy per se, but it may yet be what we currently are

Last edited:
IMHO, the reality for Nebraska is probably not much different than what we have seen the last few years. I say this for 2 main reasons.

1. The schedule is incredibly tough.
2. We do not have a proven offense to put up points.

I think it simply comes down to those two things. We do know our defense is good which could be the X-factor. However, with all the hype around the new offensive players (receivers, RBs etc. etc.), we have to remember they haven't seen game action yet. As far as expectations go, I think it's fair to expect a losing season as much as that hurts to say. Our goal this year should be win 6 and go to a bowl game. I see 6 as the ceiling. GBR no matter what!
Let's get those 6 then!

espn is espn, according to the OWH, a few were saying theres a bias even in the draft fo bama, and no, I'm saying neither.
IMO, like their FPI, it garbage in garbage out for espn

Not sure what NFL commissioners choices for draft picks has to do with a perceived bias by ESPN against NU. And that "garbage" has been fairly spot on. So what if it is from ESPN.

"Last year NU was picked 22nd. It finished 44th. In 2019 Nebraska was projected to be 33rd and finished 47th. In 2018 it was 50th and 57th. In 2017 it was 58th and 70th. All four were losing seasons."

C

Not sure what NFL commissioners choices for draft picks has to do with a perceived bias by ESPN against NU. And that "garbage" has been fairly spot on. So what if it is from ESPN.

"Last year NU was picked 22nd. It finished 44th. In 2019 Nebraska was projected to be 33rd and finished 47th. In 2018 it was 50th and 57th. In 2017 it was 58th and 70th. All four were losing seasons."

C
If those predictions were espns, it shows how bad they really are.
The bias' I spoke of was mentioned by the OWH crew, others as well, as bama tends to get guys highly ranked that are more contributor types next level than all pro types, and I agree, an inordinate amount of highly drafted bama guys arent playing like 1st rounders.

My perceptions as to why is, the overall level of play lifts those players stocks higher than they really should be, just like our overall level of play lowers some of our guys.

There is no exact science, but there certainly appears to be trends

If those predictions were espns, it shows how bad they really are.
The bias' I spoke of was mentioned by the OWH crew, others as well, as bama tends to get guys highly ranked that are more contributor types next level than all pro types, and I agree, an inordinate amount of highly drafted bama guys arent playing like 1st rounders.

My perceptions as to why is, the overall level of play lifts those players stocks higher than they really should be, just like our overall level of play lowers some of our guys.

There is no exact science, but there certainly appears to be trends

Again you are talking about something that has nothing to do with you saying "it's ESPN". For games won and lost the FPI has been pretty spot on for NU going back more than a few years. Some people just like to take shots at ESPN because they are an easy target, only shows their own personal bias.

C

Again you are talking about something that has nothing to do with you saying "it's ESPN". For games won and lost the FPI has been pretty spot on for NU going back more than a few years. Some people just like to take shots at ESPN because they are an easy target, only shows their own personal bias.

C
Like I said, if those numbers you gave are from espn, they are way off.
And yes, will kick espn for their shoddy sports reporting when its shoddy.
You act like you have stock in them or something.

But anyhow,back to the subject.
The reality for the team is, if we find great consistency, we will out perform what most of us think possible.
But being so inexperienced, that is a huge mountain to climb, with all too many slip ups along the way that a young team may not overcome.
But this time, if we show good early, unlike under MR when we went 7-0, it'll stay that good.

Like I said, if those numbers you gave are from espn, they are way off.
And yes, will kick espn for their shoddy sports reporting when its shoddy.
You act like you have stock in them or something.

But anyhow,back to the subject.
The reality for the team is, if we find great consistency, we will out perform what most of us think possible.
But being so inexperienced, that is a huge mountain to climb, with all too many slip ups along the way that a young team may not overcome.
But this time, if we show good early, unlike under MR when we went 7-0, it'll stay that good.

The W-L record has been accurate, ranking is where it was off but that is because NU sucked worse than the FPI predicted for rankings. Actually more of an indictment on NU than the FPI. So the FPI this year has NU at 6-6 which is where many have them finishing from professional journalists down to quality contributors on this board. But, "ESPN".

C

Last edited:

Nostradamus says ........ (and ESPN Gameday hosts plus elephant ears)

XF3MgWe.png

• Loss opening season game against Illini. Excuse, lots of NU newbie players.
  • Two cupcake victories against Fordham and BuffaloU.
  • Five losses in a row, Gooners, MSU, Fritz, Meechickens and Row the Boat Rodents.
  • One O.T. win ...... Purdoo. :Woohoo:
  • Back to two losses ...... Bucks and Wiskey. Probably lopsided scores.
  • Upset! Down goes Frazier Birds! ... Down goes Frazier Birds ! ... Down goes Frazier Birds !
Thus, 4 wins and 8 losses. No bowl streak continues :Cry:
I sure as hell hope the coaches and players see this. Not that it will matter either way, but it would suck to be a part of something where people think you just suck. Anyway, I hope they see it, and hear it. Maybe they will go out and do something about it?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back