• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

questions for those with football knowledge

I am confident Wegener is pretty good at center. I'm not a fan of Raridon's abilities at OL so you obviously are confused. There is nothing wrong with a Jack Doyle type at tight end on the team. Calling out Jurgens as stone hands would allude to him lacking dexterity, which is pretty important at center. So you're only wrecking your own argument.

Ironically you bag on Jurgens trying to make your point. Poor taste. Not sure why you think it is okay to call forum members colorful names like 'Mr. Leather Helmet'. I guess that is supposed to make you feel smart. You seem to have a hard time with spelling 'Osborne', which makes me think he was before your time. Pretty sad behavior out of you all around.

You have a toxic posting cycle

In the Barn what I see is.. player lacking speed from behind. Can’t really tell if they are a bender with lack of speed or just not motivated.

Need the triangle moving towards the biscuit at all times and the trailer is always late as records show there are too few apples.

Everyone is going for the bottle rocket when the don’t use their teammates.

In the Barn what I see is.. player lacking speed from behind. Can’t really tell if they are a bender with lack of speed or just not motivated.

Need the triangle moving towards the biscuit at all times and the trailer is always late as records show there are too few apples.

Everyone is going for the bottle rocket when the don’t use their teammates.
Ok, fire them all
Hell with it, fire him too.
After his post here, I think we need to fire Pops also! Good lord man, he's had about a hundred too many biscuits or scooby snacks or whatever he needs to call them. :O O:;)

Somehow I don't think the OP is going to feel like his question has been answered.
We can all make guesses centered around not having the Jimmy's and Joe's, lack of experience in the scheme, and only being in the S&C program long enough...and its probably a mix of all those variables. I guess the question is, what percentage of the mix is it? I think only the coaches really know. There is the 4th option centered around coaching and development, but I'm not sure an assessment can be made on that right now because of the variables already listed. I expect to see some improvement the 2nd half of the year with this group. If not, the off-season will be interesting in 2020.

Last edited:
We can all make guesses centered around not having the Jimmy's and Joe's, lack of experience in the scheme, and only being in the S&C program long enough...and its probably a mix of those variables. I guess the question is, what percentage of the mix is it? I think only the coaches really know. There is the 4th option centered around coaching and development, but I'm not sure an assessment can be made on that right now because of the variables already listed. I expect to see some improvement the 2nd half of the year with this group. If not, the off-season will be interesting in 2020.

Agree.

It’s almost never just one thing and in this case it’s almost certainly everything you listed and more.

Still five games to play and time to improve. Lack of improvement from here until the final whistle against Iowa will create an off season unlike anything we’ve seen around here in my lifetime.

If you read Jeremy Parnell's column today he touches on a lot of these issues but to paraphrase some of what he says in reference to your questions:
1. Yes we are young and inexperienced in what they are now being asked to do. Being a "starter" doesn't translate if the system has changed three times, three different OC' in your time on campus. Plus we are playing square pegs (Farniok as tackle, not guard) in round holes. Parnell describes much more of this going on on defense.

2. We are untalented: That's unclear. The system of ranking of recruits is subjective, and the other part is how much the talent is developed once it is on campus.

3. Time in system. No two years is nothing. In Dr/ Tom's time kids waited 2-3 years to be seasoned enough to play o-line and know what they were supposed to do. Second part is each year the 5 guys meshing together, getting the line calls and then executing on each down.

4. Not strong. Two levels here. One is physical maturity of aging. We are playing 18-20 year olds against 20-22 year olds. A lot happens to physical development in those years with S&C in BIG Ten programs with the Big uglies :). Second remember, when Scott arrived and put in the new S&C, we almost killed (exaggeration ) DONU kids doing one half of the S&C that UCF was doing routinely! So no we are not strong, we are getting better but we see on the field that we are getting pushed around on both sides on the line of scrimmage by the bigger, more mature teams.

5. "toughness" Previous systems did not emphasize sustaining blocks, physical aggression or team over individual. These problem more than "toughness" have been slower to resolve than I think Scott thought they would be.

Then let me add:#6

Parnell went into great lengths to show how few players are actually left on campus from the recruiting classes of 2016, 2017 and 2018 due to injury, desire, etc. This has decidedly impacted where Scott stands with depth and playmakers in a rugged Big Ten conference.

IN think it is critical to get to 6 wins and a bowl game:
1. 15 practices
2. impact on recruiting for the December signing period.

To get those wins, we need impact players on both offense and defense from the 2019 freshman class to play in the next five games. Not necessarily enough to lose their RS, but enough that we find those two more wins, starting Saturday. Names like Piper, Ty Robinson, Banks, Raridon, Rahmir Johnson, Green, Reimer, Hannah, Garret Nelson are going to have to make things happen.

Sacks and turnovers on defense.
Inside run game on offense and consistent passing game in the 8-15 yard zone.

GBR

Nice post.

Basically, everything you are saying is correct and then you add into it what Parnell went into in his write up it makes for an offensive line that is not the best right now. Unfortunately too many people think the offensive line woes can be pinned down to 1 or 2 problems and that is not true.

GIFRRO wants to know what it is and lists 5 things. My answer is yes it is all those things plus more.

Austin is not the problem. Everyone always thinks the offensive line coach sucks because he can't make everything great in 1 or 2 years. It takes time.

From 1962 to 2002 Nebraska basically had 4 offensive line coaches Jim Ross, Clete Fisher, Milt Tenipir, and Dan Young. That is 40 years of working together as a 2 man team developing offensive linemen. Since 2002 NU has had 6 different line coaches, Cotton 2x, Wagner, Garrison, Cavanaugh, and now Austin. You could also throw Bill Callahan in that mix. Even though he wasn't officially the line coach he spent most of his time coaching the line. That is six or seven different teachers all with different philosophies and different ways of doing things over a 17 year period. Contrast that against 4 guys over 40 years leaning from each other the same basic things and slowly tweaking what they are doing.

Most offensive linemen are not ready to start and play as Freshman or even RS Freshman. Jaimes and Farniok have been starting for a while, but they shouldn't have even seen the field that early. WestTexasHusker I believe posted something about Bill Babbora and what TO said his life as an offensive linemen at Nebraska would most likely be like. Not even starting till your 4th year in the program. In the perfect world James and Farniok should have spent at least 2 years learning their craft from coaches and watching how upperclassmen do it all the while getting their arse kicked every day in practice.

Hixon and Jurgens are not ready to be starting. Neither is Will Farniok at center over Jurgens so they are taking what they think is going to give them the best chance at things and going with it.

We have been in a terrible cycle of constantly rotating coaches, offensive philosophies, and jargon. Everyone always thought Barney Cotton's lines under BP were awful, but those were probably the best we have had in the last 17 years if for no other reason they had the same coach, same offensive philosophy and jargon for 7 years straight.

Nice post.

Basically, everything you are saying is correct and then you add into it what Parnell went into in his write up it makes for an offensive line that is not the best right now. Unfortunately too many people think the offensive line woes can be pinned down to 1 or 2 problems and that is not true.

GIFRRO wants to know what it is and lists 5 things. My answer is yes it is all those things plus more.

Austin is not the problem. Everyone always thinks the offensive line coach sucks because he can't make everything great in 1 or 2 years. It takes time.

From 1962 to 2002 Nebraska basically had 4 offensive line coaches Jim Ross, Clete Fisher, Milt Tenipir, and Dan Young. That is 40 years of working together as a 2 man team developing offensive linemen. Since 2002 NU has had 6 different line coaches, Cotton 2x, Wagner, Garrison, Cavanaugh, and now Austin. You could also throw Bill Callahan in that mix. Even though he wasn't officially the line coach he spent most of his time coaching the line. That is six or seven different teachers all with different philosophies and different ways of doing things over a 17 year period. Contrast that against 4 guys over 40 years leaning from each other the same basic things and slowly tweaking what they are doing.

Most offensive linemen are not ready to start and play as Freshman or even RS Freshman. Jaimes and Farniok have been starting for a while, but they shouldn't have even seen the field that early. WestTexasHusker I believe posted something about Bill Babbora and what TO said his life as an offensive linemen at Nebraska would most likely be like. Not even starting till your 4th year in the program. In the perfect world James and Farniok should have spent at least 2 years learning their craft from coaches and watching how upperclassmen do it all the while getting their arse kicked every day in practice.

Hixon and Jurgens are not ready to be starting. Neither is Will Farniok at center over Jurgens so they are taking what they think is going to give them the best chance at things and going with it.

We have been in a terrible cycle of constantly rotating coaches, offensive philosophies, and jargon. Everyone always thought Barney Cotton's lines under BP were awful, but those were probably the best we have had in the last 17 years if for no other reason they had the same coach, same offensive philosophy and jargon for 7 years straight.

I agree with you that Austin is not the problem. He didn't forget how to coach on his way to Lincoln from Orlando. The UCF line they had in 2017 was pretty good; undersized, but they handled Auburn. Riley's offensive scheme is completely different than HCSF scheme. How often did Riley pull the backside guard and tackle? Heck, how often did he pull anyone?

I never played OL, because at 6' 145 it was not recommended career path, but even I can see that we don't have the right type of players for the scheme. I am not saying they are not good players, I am just saying these guys are 1.) young and 2.) in a system they weren't recruited for.

Keep the faith. GBR!

IMO, the OL is playing so poorly because they aren't firing off low.

It's all patty cake blocking nowadays. Was there a rule change at some point that I'm not aware of?

Fire off low, drive your man back.

Instead, the OL's first move is to stand up. Then they lose all leverage, play patty-cake, hold, and let the defender by.

I got 1 more thing to add.

If you have never coached football or more specifically offensive line. It is really hard to understand what a difficult position it is to learn.

When I coached none of our offensive linemen where on any special teams except PAT/FG. We worked special teams every day for a half hour at the beginning of practice. During that period offensive linemen had an extra half of indy time or group time depending on what the O-line coach wanted to work on. This was done because the needed it. They need the time to develop.

Our linemen were treated special. They had their own special section of the locker room we called "Hog Heaven". Offensive linemen never carried any equipment. They never had to put away things at the end of practice. That was skill players job. We treated them like they were the most important unit on the team, because they are and it is the most difficult place to play on the football field.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back