• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

questions for those with football knowledge

So when I was in high school, Bill Bobbora at my school was recruited to Nebraska as an o-lineman.

I’m going to botch this a little but he was told by Osborne’s staff something along these lines during his recruitment.

Year 1 - strictly JV team
Year 2 - special teams on varsity and 3rd deep
Year 3 - 2 deep varsity
Year 4 - Starter on varsity

If I recall correctly, that’s about how it went for Bill.

Last edited:

So are we. :Bananalazy:
This is a good opportunity for you to remind us how Cam Jurgens can't be a great tight end (your opinion not mine) so we need his talent at center
Better not read my post then. :Rolf:
I had no problem with your post. I just have an aversion to my little posse that follows me around with personal attacks because they don't like contrarian opinions.

Last edited:

This is a good opportunity for you to remind us how Cam Jurgens can't be a great tight end (your opinion not mine) so we need his talent at center
Easy. He has stone hands. Your 4-star would be relegated to a glorified extra tackle at the B1G level. Although that would be really nice at a Wisconsin or Iowa to have a dedicated blocking tight end, Scott is looking for athletic big guys with hands for the position. Being a natural blocker with a monster mean streak and great feet, it was deemed by many before he stepped foot on campus he would be more impactful on the line as opposed to playing tight end at the next level. Question for you. Name me an all time great tight end who couldn't catch the ball? Answer: You cant.

And guess what Mr. Leather Helmet, everyone with a football mind who has played and coached the sport can see it, including the likes of Charlie McBride, Rob Zatechka, Jermiah Serles, Tom Osbourne, and Scott Frost, just to name a few. I think their opinion weighs far greater than the guy on a discussion board calling for Wegener (a stud - your words) and Raridon to start. :Stickouttongue: <<<< Contrarian? Oh yes you absolutely are.

Last edited:
Easy. He has stone hands. Your 4-star would be relegated to a glorified extra tackle at the B1G level. Although that would be really nice at a Wisconsin or Iowa to have a dedicated blocking tight end, Scott is looking for athletic big guys with hands for the position. Being a natural blocker with a monster mean streak and great feet, it was deemed by many before he stepped foot on campus he would be more impactful on the line as opposed to playing tight end at the next level. Question for you. Name me an all time great tight end who couldn't catch the ball? Answer: You cant.

And guess what Mr. Leather Helmet, everyone with a football mind who has played and coached the sport can see it, including the likes of Charlie McBride, Rob Zatechka, Jermiah Serles, Tom Osbourne, and Scott Frost, just to name a few. I think their opinion weighs far greater than the guy on a discussion board calling for Wegener (a stud - your words) and Raridon to start. :Stickouttongue: <<<< Contrarian? Oh yes you absolutely are.

I am confident Wegener is pretty good at center. I'm not a fan of Raridon's abilities at OL so you obviously are confused. There is nothing wrong with a Jack Doyle type at tight end on the team. Calling out Jurgens as stone hands would allude to him lacking dexterity, which is pretty important at center. So you're only wrecking your own argument.

Ironically you bag on Jurgens trying to make your point. Poor taste. Not sure why you think it is okay to call forum members colorful names like 'Mr. Leather Helmet'. I guess that is supposed to make you feel smart. You seem to have a hard time with spelling 'Osborne', which makes me think he was before your time. Pretty sad behavior out of you all around.

I am confident Wegener is pretty good at center. I'm not a fan of Raridon's abilities at OL so you obviously are confused. There is nothing wrong with a Jack Doyle type at tight end on the team. Calling out Jurgens as stone hands would allude to him lacking dexterity, which is pretty important at center. So you're only wrecking your own argument.

Ironically you bag on Jurgens trying to make your point. Poor taste. Not sure why you think it is okay to call forum members colorful names like 'Mr. Leather Helmet'. I guess that is supposed to make you feel smart. You seem to have a hard time with spelling 'Osborne', which makes me think he was before your time. Pretty sad behavior out of you all around.
Please tell me what you have seen from Wegener to make that claim? You havent. So just stop. And you wonder why people call you out on your nonsense.

There are many factors that go into catching a ball. You are basically saying in this post that if you cant catch a ball, you cant play center, which is by far one of the most idiotic things I've ever read. And what's really funny about that comment is the fact I played center through college and I had TERRIBLE hands from a pass catching perspective...yet I received many awards for my play on the line. So I can rightfully claim you are absolutely full of crap.

As for Jurgens, I didnt bag on him. I said he has stone hands, and quite frankly, anyone who knew about him knew that was a fact. Hell, he even realized that playing line gave him the best opportunity to play on Sundays.

As for my age, I'm definitely not as old as you because you referenced schemes and fronts that were used in the 1940's (hence the leather helmet statement), but I can assure you I was well past drinking age during the great run in the 1990's. If my nickname hurt your feelings, I apologize.

Lastly, when someone resorts to correcting a poster's spelling on a message board, you know they've got nothing.

In the immortal words of JMatlock, have a good one pal.

Last edited:
Please tell me what you have seen from Wegener to make that claim? You havent. So just stop. And you wonder why people call you out on your nonsense.

There are many factors that go into catching a ball. You are basically saying in this post that if you cant catch a ball, you cant play center, which is by far one of the most idiotic things I've ever read. And what's really funny about that comment is the fact I played center through college and I had TERRIBLE hands from a pass catching perspective...yet I received many awards for my play on the line. So I can rightfully claim you are absolutely full of crap.

As for Jurgens, I didnt bag on him. I said he has stone hands, and quite frankly, anyone who knew about him knew that was a fact. Hell, he even realized that playing line gave him the best opportunity to play on Sundays.

As for my age, I'm definitely not as old as you because you referenced schemes and fronts that were used in the 1940's (hence the leather helmet statement), but I can assure you I was well past drinking age during the great run in the 1990's. If my nickname hurt your feelings, I apologize.

Lastly, when someone resorts to correcting a poster's spelling on a message board, you know they've got nothing.

In the immortal words of JMatlock, have a good one pal.
That is one big imagination you have there.

To demonstrate athleticism from an OL player we'd probably need to display some movement and not try to play everything from the same three blocking schemes. But again, that is just an opinion.

GIFRRO-

If we were trying to help out an OL then I might roll my QB and try to be a little less predictable. I might even use a center that delivers the ball to the chest so the QB is able to concentrate on keys sooner. I might even throw some slants, fades, and crossing routes or delayed drags. I might even run some mesh combinations to get receivers some space so the OL don't have to hold blocks all day. I might even be creative with motion and use formations to conceal my intentions. But you wanted to hear from someone that knows football, so I'm going to sit back and wait to see the answers.

Fat chance.
Clown show

So I want to know why its so bad?.

When the football Gods (Steve Pederson) decided to fire Frankie and move to the West Coast offense from the traditional smash mouth Nebraska Run Game, we abandoned the practice of recruiting players from the inside out and developing linemen. We went to focusing on flash and dash players. And, we have been suffering ever since.

Last edited:

Somehow I don't think the OP is going to feel like his question has been answered.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back