• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Quality of Current Commits

With the camp circuit curtailed due to the pandemic it has made evaluation by the services much harder to do.

Will some guys be under evaluated because of this? I think so but at the sametime there are going to be a lot of unknowns. I can not remember who made the statement recently that there could be more busts in this year's class, for all schools, because of the lack of evaluation and having to rely strictly on existing film of a prospect

From a coaches perspective it's much harder too as they are unable to evaluate recruits in person both at their camps and during authorized evaluation periods

Lot of unknowns this year however we seem to be addressing area of need quite well however, with a small class we can not afford to many misses

With all of that being said I think we have gotten some quality athletes

Going to be real interesting to see how this class pans out in the coming years

And more decommits also.

This post is a question for some of the experts. @N2FL @Red Reign and @ anyone else:

Our star ranking seems a bit lower this year than last at this time. Am I wrong?

But I feel like the quality of commit is on par or better than previous years' classes.

Is it safe to say: "Fewer stars (perhaps only slightly), but we keep getting guys we want that fit our system and are wanted by many other schools." For some reason I saw the number of 4 star guys at one of the sites and was surprised, since I have felt pretty good about all/nearly all of our commits at this point.

Thoughts?
I would say slightly lower "star" rating than the past few classes but all those previous classes 4*'s haven't bought us much when they transfer year 1 or 2. I am under the impression we are getting more players that fit our system and actually want to spend more than a year or 2 in Lincoln.

We will not be a top 25 class unless we have a strong season. Besides Fidone... we are pulling in lower rated guys at this point that have "high upside". We essentially traded four stars Francois and Gray for 5.5 and 5.6 rated DBs in the 2021 class. I'm not saying it won't work out, but as far as class rankings, that's not good.

As everyone has said, we need to win. Kids don't have a problem going away from home to dominate in football. It's tough to do when you aren't good at football and away from your support systems. Let's see if we can get to 6-4 this year.
FWIW Prince Amukamara, IMO the best CB we've had in the last dozen years or so, was a 5.6.

Put me in the camp that wants players that are going to be hard workers, that want to be here. I'm fine with lower recruiting rankings for a few years if we can start winning games again. Frost's system will have no trouble continuing to bring in high-star skill players if we start winning. Maybe we'll be able to hold on to them too for a change.
I've said for awhile that if I were coach, our recruiting rankings would be a bit lower because I would have Dan Jackson on my staff immediately. There's 5 kids from Nebraska that deserve scholarships. It would make the star ranking posters a little upset, but I think it would pay dividends in the long run.

Him and Dennard were studs. 5.6 and 5.7 on Rivals. I don't think Amukamara's ranking means anything to what i'm trying to reference though.

Past performance by a previous "diamond in the rough" translates to all lower ranked players coming to Lincoln. That is part of the special sauce of GO BID RED kool-aid.

Someone should sit you down and tell you the Ameer Abdullah story! Basically he was a near paraplegic with a generous star ranking and that other schools only wanted as a DB, but through the ingestion of Runza's and Valentinos and the laying on of hands by Ron Brown was able to become Rex Burkhead.

Last edited:

This post is a question for some of the experts. @N2FL @Red Reign and @ anyone else:

Our star ranking seems a bit lower this year than last at this time. Am I wrong?

But I feel like the quality of commit is on par or better than previous years' classes.

Is it safe to say: "Fewer stars (perhaps only slightly), but we keep getting guys we want that fit our system and are wanted by many other schools." For some reason I saw the number of 4 star guys at one of the sites and was surprised, since I have felt pretty good about all/nearly all of our commits at this point.

Thoughts?

How do I say this nicely... Recruiting services are having a difficult time with their rankings right now without the benefit of the Opening Camps, Under Armour Camps, 7-v-7 circuit, etc. They're scrambling a bit trying to make up for a lack of exposure for several kids. Word of mouth about kids is usually much more prevalent at this time in most years because when kids attend combines and other team camps at campuses across the country, the cream that rises to the top doesn't stay under the radar for long. The services don't have that this year.

It's funny to see them try and update their rankings, especially the '22 class. In case you missed it, Omaha's Devon Jackson had been ranked #25 (IIRC) by 247 and nearly a five-star... they just updated their rankings like two weeks ago. No new film. No new camps. No new combines. Dude dropped over 100 spots and is now #130-something. How do they explain that?

How do I say this nicely... Recruiting services are having a difficult time with their rankings right now without the benefit of the Opening Camps, Under Armour Camps, 7-v-7 circuit, etc. They're scrambling a bit trying to make up for a lack of exposure for several kids. Word of mouth about kids is usually much more prevalent at this time in most years because when kids attend combines and other team camps at campuses across the country, the cream that rises to the top doesn't stay under the radar for long. The services don't have that this year.

It's funny to see them try and update their rankings, especially the '22 class. In case you missed it, Omaha's Devon Jackson had been ranked #25 (IIRC) by 247 and nearly a five-star... they just updated their rankings like two weeks ago. No new film. No new camps. No new combines. Dude dropped over 100 spots and is now #130-something. How do they explain that?

Well he is from Nebraska so...........

Put me in the camp that wants players that are going to be hard workers, that want to be here. I'm fine with lower recruiting rankings for a few years if we can start winning games again. Frost's system will have no trouble continuing to bring in high-star skill players if we start winning. Maybe we'll be able to hold on to them too for a change.
Cudos to whoever quoted the Jack Burton Gif. Ill be your Wang any day!

Malik Williams is another who will be/ or would be a higher rating just because of pedigree and where he plays. The coaches, and most of you posters know far more then I do as far as talent rating. States participation in fall sports is going to be sporadic at best. Some closing down and Florida announcing pretty much business as usual.
Story line to me in Florida as schools ramping up is that there are and will be parents that want their child home from school for safe keeping, yet allow them to go to sports practice after school. Oh well, that is for another story
Same thing here in Alabama, delayed the start of school until the beginning of Sept but official practice starts next week. My son plays for Prattville and they are kicking off the season against Wetumpka in the Kickoff Classic on Aug 21st. Despite the uptick in cases, football is still going with precautions.

Same thing here in Alabama, delayed the start of school until the beginning of Sept but official practice starts next week. My son plays for Prattville and they are kicking off the season against Wetumpka in the Kickoff Classic on Aug 21st. Despite the uptick in cases, football is still going with precautions.

Will that be in the new Wetumpka stadium?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back