• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Quality of Current Commits

Kwajsker

Scout Team
This post is a question for some of the experts. @N2FL @Red Reign and @ anyone else:

Our star ranking seems a bit lower this year than last at this time. Am I wrong?

But I feel like the quality of commit is on par or better than previous years' classes.

Is it safe to say: "Fewer stars (perhaps only slightly), but we keep getting guys we want that fit our system and are wanted by many other schools." For some reason I saw the number of 4 star guys at one of the sites and was surprised, since I have felt pretty good about all/nearly all of our commits at this point.

Thoughts?

I think many of our recruits this year would be higher if not for Corona. Some guys just have not had a shot to get to camps. Webb is the perfect example. All the right measurables. Height weight etc. Dad who played in the NFL. Did not get the opportunity to make a camp and get verifiable times and see him against the best. so they plant him as a mid 3 star guy.

This post is a question for some of the experts. @N2FL @Red Reign and @ anyone else:

Our star ranking seems a bit lower this year than last at this time. Am I wrong?

But I feel like the quality of commit is on par or better than previous years' classes.

Is it safe to say: "Fewer stars (perhaps only slightly), but we keep getting guys we want that fit our system and are wanted by many other schools." For some reason I saw the number of 4 star guys at one of the sites and was surprised, since I have felt pretty good about all/nearly all of our commits at this point.

Thoughts?

With the camp circuit curtailed due to the pandemic it has made evaluation by the services much harder to do.

Will some guys be under evaluated because of this? I think so but at the sametime there are going to be a lot of unknowns. I can not remember who made the statement recently that there could be more busts in this year's class, for all schools, because of the lack of evaluation and having to rely strictly on existing film of a prospect

From a coaches perspective it's much harder too as they are unable to evaluate recruits in person both at their camps and during authorized evaluation periods

Lot of unknowns this year however we seem to be addressing area of need quite well however, with a small class we can not afford to many misses

With all of that being said I think we have gotten some quality athletes

Going to be real interesting to see how this class pans out in the coming years

Last edited:
With the camp circuit curtailed due to the pandemic it has made evaluation by the services much harder to do.

Will some guys be under evaluated because of this? I think so but at the sametime there are going to be a lot of unknowns. I can not remember who made the statement recently that there could be more busts in this year's class, for all schools, because of the lack of evaluation and having to rely strictly on existing film of a prospect

From a coaches perspective it's much harder too as they are unable to evaluate recruits in person both at their camps and during authorized evaluation periods

Lot of unknowns this year however we seem to be addressing area of need quite well however, with a small class we can not afford to many misses

With all of that being said I think we have gotten some quality athletes

Going to be real interesting to see how this class pans out in the coming years
I think that this may be a year where many of the top recruits miss at a higher rate. (Not necessarily talking NE but as a general statement) What I mean by that is some athletes strive on structure. They will work with their coaches at a higher level in the weight room/film room than the average kid. Many can not do that now and are forced to sit at home because the family can not afford weight equipment etc at home. Many states are cancelling fall sports. (MD already has) So they may well be a class that misses a lot.

I think many of our recruits this year would be higher if not for Corona. Some guys just have not had a shot to get to camps. Webb is the perfect example. All the right measurables. Height weight etc. Dad who played in the NFL. Did not get the opportunity to make a camp and get verifiable times and see him against the best. so they plant him as a mid 3 star guy.
Malik Williams is another who will be/ or would be a higher rating just because of pedigree and where he plays. The coaches, and most of you posters know far more then I do as far as talent rating. States participation in fall sports is going to be sporadic at best. Some closing down and Florida announcing pretty much business as usual.
Story line to me in Florida as schools ramping up is that there are and will be parents that want their child home from school for safe keeping, yet allow them to go to sports practice after school. Oh well, that is for another story

We are in a tough spot. The Burkhalter news really hurts, but the pandemic is really going to help us with a guy like Fidone. The reality for me is that we are going to continue to get the guys we normally do in terms of rankings, it just seems we are slipping more towards those four stars that have issues and that's why they are still there like Francois, Gray, Jones, Watt, etc. instead of some more stable four stars.

But I don't look at our recruiting as worrisome... I get a little concerned about what teams like Iowa and Wisconsin are doing. We used to blow those teams out of the water when it came to quality of recruits. As it stands right now, this would be the first time since 2005 that a B1G west team has better quality of recruits than Nebraska, and it's 3 of them (Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin). It's not that difficult to see why, we are losing buckets of recruits to those schools head to head for this 2021 cycle.

What's scary is we had issues against those teams when they had lesser thought of recruits. What's going to happen when they start recruiting like we can? This is a different situation than when Wiltfong wrote this article in April of 2016 about Iowa's recruiting class where it was quantity based:

Last edited:
What does it matter if we out-recruit them if we can't keep the players on the team longer than 6 months? Give me 3 stars that play their entire collegiate careers here over 4 stars that transfer before taking a snap.
That's a whole other talking point that i've been trying to have with people. Ok fine, we don't go after Marques Sigle or Tyson Gordon as both went to North Dakota State, I get it because you landed Francois and Gray. But they're both gone now.

Last edited:

That's a whole other talking point that i've been trying to have with people. Ok fine, we don't go after Marques Sigle or Tyson Gordon who went both went to North Dakota State, I get it because you landed Francois and Gray. But they're both gone now.
Your previous posts have changed my opinion on this matter. I used to be the "so what, we will get someone equal from Florida" guy, but seeing as how all of those last minute players seem to have bailed already, I now realize the importance of getting your guys locked up early and not having to scramble, even if it's a slightly lower rated player.

Last edited:
On the surface, it seems like we are recruiting at a somewhat lower level than we have been in Frost's first two seasons. Admittedly, I am basing that observation primarily off of star rankings and offer lists. Unless we finish really strong though, I don't think this will be a Top 25 class.

What's perhaps more concerning, as *** alluded to, is that several other teams in the West Division seem to be trending up in recruiting and will probably have higher rated classes this year. And it makes things seem worse when two of the top three recruits in Omaha opt for division rivals.

Your previous posts have changed my opinion on this matter. I used to be the "so what, we will get someone equal from Florida" guy, but seeing as how all of those last minute players seem to have bailed already, I now realize the importance of getting your guys locked up early and not having to scramble, even if it's a slightly lower rated player.
It's a delicate balance, because you don't want to throw up the white flag and you don't want to just grab someone to grab someone. I don't know if I have the best answer there because if you fall back on these guys, you are committed to 4 years with them.

On the surface, it seems like we are recruiting at a somewhat lower level than we have been in Frost's first two seasons. Admittedly, I am basing that observation primarily off of star rankings and offer lists. Unless we finish really strong though, I don't think this will be a Top 25 class.

What's perhaps more concerning, as *** alluded to, is that several other teams in the West Division seem to be trending up in recruiting and will probably have higher rated classes this year. And it makes things seem worse when two of the top three recruits in Omaha opt for division rivals.
We will not be a top 25 class unless we have a strong season. Besides Fidone... we are pulling in lower rated guys at this point that have "high upside". We essentially traded four stars Francois and Gray for 5.5 and 5.6 rated DBs in the 2021 class. I'm not saying it won't work out, but as far as class rankings, that's not good.

As everyone has said, we need to win. Kids don't have a problem going away from home to dominate in football. It's tough to do when you aren't good at football and away from your support systems. Let's see if we can get to 6-4 this year.

Put me in the camp that wants players that are going to be hard workers, that want to be here. I'm fine with lower recruiting rankings for a few years if we can start winning games again. Frost's system will have no trouble continuing to bring in high-star skill players if we start winning. Maybe we'll be able to hold on to them too for a change.

Thoughts?

@Kwajsker - would point you to paragraph 3 of @N2FL's post #93 as Exhibit A for affirmation on quality and interest by other programs.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back