• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

QB controversy

Unfortunately, the ones he was hitting to raise the % most were behind the line or not far from it (that gained little) and 3 of the incompletions were wide-open, you-can't-miss-those TDs that would have been back breakers. The completion % means jack in this game.
I was on the phone with my BIL during the game and I kept him updated on the completion % from Yahoo stats. Neither of us could believe the % was over 60 until we realized that a huge number of the completions were very short to no yardage. You are very right about the completion % being a meaning less stat here.

Can you be a “standard kid“ that goes to “every party” and be a student athlete that excels? I’d guess an athlete who parties excessively might be “standard” but likely not be exceptional. Obviously there may be exceptions but I’d submit this is probably a “standard” supposition.

I have no idea, by the way, whether wyopete is correct in his posts in regard to AM. Something seems to have impacted AM‘s decision making and effectiveness this year. Maybe this? Or maybe not?

Defense wins championships.
Nuff said.
You want a measure of our defense?

Jack Plummer - All games (7) completion % - 59.8 ---- Vs. NU - 73.5
Aidan O'Connell - All Games (3) completion % - 68.2 ---- Vs. NU - 85.7

That's our defense making them look great.

Edit: I checked our other losses. There wasn't a similar huge jump in opponents' completion %. So this is something new that helped this particular game be a loss.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the ones he was hitting to raise the % most were behind the line or not far from it (that gained little) and 3 of the incompletions were wide-open, you-can't-miss-those TDs that would have been back breakers. The completion % means jack in this game.
I was on the phone with my BIL during the game and I kept him updated on the completion % from Yahoo stats. Neither of us could believe the % was over 60 until we realized that a huge number of the completions were very short to no yardage. You are very right about the completion % being a meaning less stat here.
That's the case for almost all offenses that have QBs with high completion percentages. Martinez still averaged over 11 yards per completion.

How do you figure? We couldn’t beat Minnesota or Indiana with Vedral, what would he have added to today’s game that would have given us a different outcome?
Much more decisive runner. How many times did AM have a wide open field in front of him and refuse to take off? Vedral probably doesn’t throw that pick either. And with AM missing even wide open receivers on the perimeter, Vedral probably doesn’t.

Much more decisive runner. How many times did AM have a wide open field in front of him and refuse to take off? Vedral probably doesn’t throw that pick either. And with AM missing even wide open receivers on the perimeter, Vedral probably doesn’t.
Vedral averages 3.5 yards per carry to AM’s 4.1. I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, I just can’t say that Noah is a more decisive runner than AM when the majority of Noahs runs this year have been drawn up as QB runs.

Last edited:

Vedral averages 3.5 yards per carry to AM’s 4.1. I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, I just can’t say that Noah is a more decisive runner than AM when the majority of Noahs runs this year have been drawn up as QB runs.
The YPC stat is leaving out a lot of context.
In Vedral’s action, I can’t recall a single time in which Vedral had a wide open field in front of him but was reluctant to run. We see that out of AM several times a game.

AM’s rushing stats yesterday look just fine at died glance. 58 yards on 12 carries. But how many yards were left out there? How many times did the announcers have to point out AM being reluctant to scramble when there was nothing but open field in front of him? We even saw Frost yelling for AM to just run the ball.

He’s not decisive this year. It’s not a talent issue, as he’s our most talented guy. It’s a mental/confidence issue and it’s been the case all year.

Certainly something is different than year 1. His body looks different. He seems a step slower in some circumstances. His decision making has taken a step backward. He doesn't see things (like wide open receivers) like he did last year. If he's a party animal and not dedicated to being the leader then he's got to change. This isn't JUCO.

The locker room is one of the critical elements of the teams success. If there's no trust there's no locker room imo.

The YPC stat is leaving out a lot of context.
In Vedral’s action, I can’t recall a single time in which Vedral had a wide open field in front of him but was reluctant to run. We see that out of AM several times a game.

AM’s rushing stats yesterday look just fine at died glance. 58 yards on 12 carries. But how many yards were left out there? How many times did the announcers have to point out AM being reluctant to scramble when there was nothing but open field in front of him? We even saw Frost yelling for AM to just run the ball.

He’s not decisive this year. It’s not a talent issue, as he’s our most talented guy. It’s a mental/confidence issue and it’s been the case all year.
You’re right, because if I’m not mistaken, sack yardage in college are counted as negative yards against the QB rushing total. So take out AM’s 16 sacks, and Noah’s 4, and AM would be even higher in rush avg.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back