• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Projecting Offensive Depth Chart

Nance at outside behind Manning is an interesting take. Don't disagree but I am wondering why you you put him there. I also see you agreed with Warner starting at that position. I thought many might disagree with that, so I was wondering why you feel that way as well.
Why I put him outside or why I put him behind Manning?

Warner is Martinez's safety blanket. We saw what he looked like without him. There's a ton of guys that could be more athletic to play there but I think Warner gets the nod if healthy.

Warner is Martinez's safety blanket. We saw what he looked like without him. There's a ton of guys that could be more athletic to play there but I think Warner gets the nod if healthy.
I'd like to see split duties at safety blanket using a TE.

A QB needs that. Knows where the player will be.

More I was wondering why you put him outside. Have heard a lot of positives about him, so I was curious on why outside.

More I was wondering why you put him outside. Have heard a lot of positives about him, so I was curious on why outside.
He's been practicing outside and don't see him as a JD or Robinson guy. He can float and is really smooth so us getting some speed on the outside would help. But the lack of spring hurt him, the game was a bit too fast for him in the spring and fall of 2019. And now our 2020 WR class has some bangers coming in. He may start out as a backup and get overtaken. We will see.

I watched a great clinic about how when the Patriots signed Moss Belichick was bringing up how they were going to do things against Cover 1 and Moss stopped him and goes "that's fine but you won't see that defense against me." The speed thing isn't just about getting the ball in fast guys hands, sometimes it's about stretching a defense. Part of our problem last year was Kanawai Noa wasn't getting vertical fast enough so safeties could play 7 or 8 yards from the LOS instead of 10. Guys like Nance can help with that.

Last edited:
He's been practicing outside and don't see him as a JD or Robinson guy. He can float and is really smooth so us getting some speed on the outside would help. But the lack of spring hurt him, the game was a bit too fast for him in the spring and fall of 2019. And now our 2020 WR class has some bangers coming in. He may start out as a backup and get overtaken. We will see.

I watched a great clinic about how when the Patriots signed Moss Belichick was bringing up how they were going to do things against Cover 1 and Moss stopped him and goes "that's fine but you won't see that defense against me." The speed thing isn't just about getting the ball in fast guys hands, sometimes it's about stretching a defense. Part of our problem last year was Kanawai Noa wasn't getting vertical fast enough so safeties could play 7 or 8 yards from the LOS instead of 10. Guys like Nance can help with that.

Very true about Moss. That's why the Raiders drafted Ruggs so high (and I think it was the right move). Add in a running QB, and teams have a real difficult time aligning their safeties.

I understand the need for speed on the outside, but I just can't get the 2019 Spring game out of my head. He looked like a small fish in a big pond taking a heck of a beating from our 2nd & 3rd team defense. Can he possibly make that big of a leap in a single year?

I understand the need for speed on the outside, but I just can't get the 2019 Spring game out of my head. He looked like a small fish in a big pond taking a heck of a beating from our 2nd & 3rd team defense. Can he possibly make that big of a leap in a single year?
That's what will be tough, missing the spring and the gains he could have made on this 2020 class. We only had 4 scholarship guys at WR for the spring so he was going to have a ton of reps.

WR is really hard to project, Robinson is the known variable. But after that we have Warner who was hurt all 2019, Nance and Houston who didn't see the field in 2019, Hickman who hasn't really played WR, and then a bunch of first year guys. Quite honestly any WR depth chart is just a "throw against the wall and see what sticks" because we haven't even factored in their new coach has seen 2 practices.

Speculation without inside knowledge is fruitless. Hope the best for this kid.
Not only for the team but for him, I hope finishing well here is his future.
Speculation is utterly and practically;...... useless. I suppose it’s purpose is for conversation purposes only but useless.

Last edited:
I doubt he's back at this point. However, he's working on a massive class load to get it done. But you're probably right he has to decide if he wants it anyway. Covid is making things easier for him, because NCAA would have to say "nope we aren't granting you a waiver to be closer to family" which I don't see them doing on top of him being able to do all classes online. That's easier than having to go to all of them and take tests.

I can't fault the staff if they start Wilson another year. Wilson has earned it. Piper starting is probably a year ahead of schedule so i'm sure i'll be wrong there.

The Gaylord thing is tough for me, his injury and Covid make things difficult. If not for his injury i'd actually pencil in what you have. I thought he would start for us in 2019. He had the best linemen grade out of all guys for 2018.

I worry about his explosiveness at WR for Hickman, but to your point,, he's more explosive than Warner and we sorely missed Warner in 2019. Hickman may be at the mercy of if we can land Fidone for the 2021 class. We get thin in a hurry at TE especially if we lose Rafdal (speculation).

I said before 2019 that we would do a ton of 2 TE sets due to the lack of WR depth coming back and I was sorely wrong. Though I would argue I should have been right (if that makes sense).
Hickman at wr would upgrade our perimeter blocking by 200%. It was pathetic last year. Huge for our running game. Add in manning and warner we would have a blocking machine.

That's what will be tough, missing the spring and the gains he could have made on this 2020 class. We only had 4 scholarship guys at WR for the spring so he was going to have a ton of reps.

WR is really hard to project, Robinson is the known variable. But after that we have Warner who was hurt all 2019, Nance and Houston who didn't see the field in 2019, Hickman who hasn't really played WR, and then a bunch of first year guys. Quite honestly any WR depth chart is just a "throw against the wall and see what sticks" because we haven't even factored in their new coach has seen 2 practices.
This is far more of an issue than most fans realize (although I know *** realizes it is one).
Scott's offense, far more than most, uses WR's and QB's understanding on the fly what the defense is offering on each play and making the correct read in their routes so that the ball will then go to the right spot on the field.
No spring practice, the likelihood of little fall camp and very inexperienced WR/QB timing makes it likely that for the first 4-6 games the offense is not, repeat not going to be the dominant factor Scott needs it to be.
On the good side, we may have the most athletic offensive line grouping in the last ten years, so the athleticism of our QBs will be a real asset when the plays break down.
Some one amongst these WRs needs to give us "big plays" that were lacking last year, to make up for the inconsistence that we will see early on or no winning season in 2020 IMHO.

GBR

This is far more of an issue than most fans realize (although I know *** realizes it is one).
Scott's offense, far more than most, uses WR's and QB's understanding on the fly what the defense is offering on each play and making the correct read in their routes so that the ball will then go to the right spot on the field.
No spring practice, the likelihood of little fall camp and very inexperienced WR/QB timing makes it likely that for the first 4-6 games the offense is not, repeat not going to be the dominant factor Scott needs it to be.
On the good side, we may have the most athletic offensive line grouping in the last ten years, so the athleticism of our QBs will be a real asset when the plays break down.
Some one amongst these WRs needs to give us "big plays" that were lacking last year, to make up for the inconsistence that we will see early on or no winning season in 2020 IMHO.

GBR

If we can get solid play at outside WR - with a number of good possibilities there - then our QB and WRs should start out pretty well. We already know that Warner can be relied on. Wandale can definitely be relied on at the inside position.

I think Mills can handle a very heavy workload and wants that kind of load, but development behind him has my attention more than WRs going into the season. I like what we have on paper behind Mills as well as the devleopment that has occurred at that position every year. Ozigbo got a lot better year 1. Mills got a lot better over the course of year 2. Finally we will get a returning RB who has been developed in the system in year 3.

If we can get solid play at outside WR - with a number of good possibilities there - then our QB and WRs should start out pretty well. We already know that Warner can be relied on. Wandale can definitely be relied on at the inside position.

I think Mills can handle a very heavy workload and wants that kind of load, but development behind him has my attention more than WRs going into the season. I like what we have on paper behind Mills as well as the devleopment that has occurred at that position every year. Ozigbo got a lot better year 1. Mills got a lot better over the course of year 2. Finally we will get a returning RB who has been developed in the system in year 3.

I hear you, we have solid players, but there is not substitute for reps with the same players at WR and QB especially in Scotts system IMHO.
GBR

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back