• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Projecting Offensive Depth Chart

the farn to guard. corcoran to rt by october

That is an interesting take that I had not heard before. I did not place Corcoran anywhere on my 2 deep and there were a couple other guys coming in or already there that I think might have a thing or two to say about all of this, but I had not thought about that one. Jumping Benhart will be hard, I think, but now I am wondering if I should have put Corcoran on there somewhere.

If Gaylord is going to go through the trouble to come back for a 6th year, and if the staff is keeping him on scholarship, then I suspect he will at least be on the second team. Moving M. Farniok to Guard, as others have mentioned, could facilitate that change. Corcoran may also fit into the OL mix as a True Freshman... perhaps as a "second team" guy who is intentionally limited to 4 games.

The WR corp would actually look pretty damn good if Spielman came back. Doesn't seem as though that is likely though.

I could see that as a a good possibility for Corcoran. They will have a chunk to replace going into next year and will want some experience, I would imagine.

Spielman? Or are we just counting on him being gone?

I didn't include him because I felt like the lack of news bodes unwell for us. Again, I haven't heard anything, but I have come to think that he might be done with football. Not in the transfer portal. I am thinking he is back here or nowhere. If it was me, I would say "We absolutely want you back, but we want you to be fully committed and all in if you come back. Let us know how we can help you answer that question." But I didn't include him. I thin Warner gets his name on the first line for that position to start the year with a really even split of reps there to a few guys.

I don't get why Spielman is being written off. Didn't declare for the draft, didn't enter the transfer portal. Is the collective thought pattern that he's done with football or just the Huskers?

Prior to the pandemic, I could have seen Corcoran getting some work on the right side. But with no spring I suspect a lot of these true freshmen are going to be way behind considering they probably won't be getting reps until August.
I'm up in the air on this.
Normally,O line is body development and experience, and frosh rarely play.
But, near or five star players are five stars because they come in body ready plus their skill set/athleticism.
Missing practices hurts him more than most, but he wont be sitting around waiting once things get going.

If after a time, he's just clearly better, he may earn a spot at some point this season. I could see that happening.

I'm up in the air on this.
Normally,O line is body development and experience, and frosh rarely play.
But, near or five star players are five stars because they come in body ready plus their skill set/athleticism.
Missing practices hurts him more than most, but he wont be sitting around waiting once things get going.

If after a time, he's just clearly better, he may earn a spot at some point this season. I could see that happening.
You may very well be right. I've always felt he would eventually become part of the rotation, even if they slid him down to guard to get him reps. I'm just not as confident at this point as he not only has to develop physically, but he also has to tackle the mental part of the game. Not having reps in the spring will set all the newbies back to varying degrees... and for a true freshman offensive lineman, to a larger degree. If he does become part of the rotation this year that's really good news for the offensive line. Fingers crossed

You may very well be right. I've always felt he would eventually become part of the rotation, even if they slid him down to guard to get him reps. I'm just not as confident at this point as he not only has to develop physically, but he also has to tackle the mental part of the game. Not having reps in the spring will set all the newbies back to varying degrees... and for a true freshman offensive lineman, to a larger degree. If he does become part of the rotation this year that's really good news for the offensive line. Fingers crossed
Wasn't it Georgia, or was it Clemson who started two frosh O linemen after guys left early?
Both of those guys were a little better than Corcoran maybe, but I like the comparison!
Yep, it was Georgia

Last edited:

Freshman OL guys seem to have two issues to get through in order to start, or even play. The first is being physically, and also mentally ready to go against older seasoned competition. The second is to gel with the OL flow and have that 'I got your back' trust with the other four guys. Everyone moving and thinking at the same pace every play.

The new 4 game redshirt rule may allow Corcoran to see some time in four games. I just don't see him being ready this season to be a full contributor myself. Berhart is a beast and Farniok, while not necessarily suited to OT, has been there done that too. Why rush a guy if you can preserve that year.

Done right you develop your OL guys years 1 and 2, you play them years 3-5. The Pipeline is getting closer to where we can do that.

You don't let near five stars sit though. They come in all but physically ready, and athletically superior.
Building and developing doesn't mean plug n play, or as near as one can get even for the O line, all things considered, that plug n play doesn't exist.
That two year wait is most often curtailed with these guys, mainly because of the quality they bring vs what they have to do to earn a spot.
Teams like Georgia, whose two tackles sat out the bowl game playing it safe for the pros, their frosh tackle replacements went out and helped win their bowl game, wth very little playing times, and retained their redshirts.
Our level of play determines how soon top guys start. Teams with depth, like Georgia held them out until they had to play them.

Prior to the pandemic, I could have seen Corcoran getting some work on the right side. But with no spring I suspect a lot of these true freshmen are going to be way behind considering they probably won't be getting reps until August.
I think you are spot on. Potential does not equate to readiness. Too many guys ahead of him that have done the weight training, studying the playbook, taken reps, etc. Now on the other side of that ....... IF he was to make the two deep ..... what a future we have.

Freshman OL guys seem to have two issues to get through in order to start, or even play. The first is being physically, and also mentally ready to go against older seasoned competition. The second is to gel with the OL flow and have that 'I got your back' trust with the other four guys. Everyone moving and thinking at the same pace every play.

The new 4 game redshirt rule may allow Corcoran to see some time in four games. I just don't see him being ready this season to be a full contributor myself. Berhart is a beast and Farniok, while not necessarily suited to OT, has been there done that too. Why rush a guy if you can preserve that year.

Done right you develop your OL guys years 1 and 2, you play them years 3-5. The Pipeline is getting closer to where we can do that.
Well spoken sir!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back