• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Projecting Offensive Depth Chart

We were the leader for Fidone but i've been hearing there's been some pause there. Iowa making a real push with their TE development and he's listening.

I think you will see some packages for McCaffrey, just not sure if it's a series at QB or to give a guy like Wandale a rest in certain spots at the Duck R. We don't have to worry about preserving the redshirt and that kid is one of our most explosive players.

So I had Johnson as my guy behind MIlls but Morrison and Scott could come in ready to earn some serious snaps as well. I just struggle to project RBs into what they can do right away at the Power 5 level.

I could see Scott as he is a grown ass man... I hope some of these RB's we are bringing in pan out. Hell, I hope the WR's do the same. We need some good juju to finally happen.

Farniok to start practicing at RG with Jamie’s at LT

That’s interesting.

LT Jaimes
LG Piper
C - Jurgens
RG - Farniok
RT - Banks

Has Piper already surpassed Wilson? Is Gaylord the swing tackle? Intrigue!

Farniok to start practicing at RG with Jamie’s at LT

I've mentioned before that I like Farniok at RG instead of LG. Good move.

Farniok said himself in the spring that the biggest difference for him between guard and tackle was actually being on the left instead of the right, where he'd played his whole career. Even when he was a RS Frosh in 2017 and started a couple games at guard, it was on the right side.

The veteran angle is smart too. I think this opens the door for Ethan Piper to slide in at LG next to Jaimes as well. Have multi-year starters next to a pair of RS freshmen with huge upsides.

Gotta like our line going into the year, but I am a bit hesitant to pencil in Piper at LG. There will be a lot of competition there and I would imagine Boe Wilson could factor in there, as well. multi-year starter for a reason.

Either way, I like the looks of that line.

Who factors in at #2 at RT? Seems like we are thinking Banks steps in for Jaimes, so who is behind Benhart at RT? I am sure they will be thinking about who steps in for Farniok after this year as well.

OL is a position with the most starting experience coming back and we could end up starting 2 RSFreshman who have never started before. 2 seniors, 2 rFreshman, 1 rSoph. Interesting.

Gotta like our line going into the year, but I am a bit hesitant to pencil in Piper at LG. There will be a lot of competition there and I would imagine Boe Wilson could factor in there, as well. multi-year starter for a reason.

Who factors in at #2 at RT? Seems like we are thinking Banks steps in for Jaimes, so who is behind Benhart at RT? I am sure they will be thinking about who steps in for Farniok after this year as well.

OL is a position with the most starting experience coming back and we could end up starting 2 RSFreshman who have never started before. 2 seniors, 2 rFreshman, 1 rSoph. Interesting.
Gaylord behind Benhart.

If Piper starts over Hixon and Wilson I say props to the kid :thumbsup: That would show just how deep we would be. I love how we are rebuilding this line. I too love this line, actually ..... the potential of this line.

Last edited:
If Piper starts over Hixon and Wilson I say props to the kid :thumbsup: That would show just how deep we would be. I love how we are rebuilding this line. I too love this line, actually ..... the potential of this line.

I get what you're trying to say, but to be honest, who would be really be replacing? Boe Wilson is a C- player and Hixson has a pretty limited ceiling. Neither is the caliber of player that starts on a contending team.

I see guys like Benhart, Piper and Banks as positive signs that Austin is starting to get his room where it needs to be, but he's still a year or so away from it really being right. Those three are legit talents, but let's be honest, in a perfect world Benhart and Piper aren't where they are in the pecking order until next year if the line was where it should be.

I don't want to take away from the job Austin is doing. I'm a huge fan of his (IMO he'll be the first assistant on staff to be a HC someday). But I'd pump the breaks on being too impressed with replacing subpar talent like Wilson and Hixson. Frankly, it's what Nebraska has to do to get back to really being a legit player in the conference. It's a positive sign, though, absolutely.

I get what you're trying to say, but to be honest, who would be really be replacing? Boe Wilson is a C- player and Hixson has a pretty limited ceiling. Neither is the caliber of player that starts on a contending team.

I see guys like Benhart, Piper and Banks as positive signs that Austin is starting to get his room where it needs to be, but he's still a year or so away from it really being right. Those three are legit talents, but let's be honest, in a perfect world Benhart and Piper aren't where they are in the pecking order until next year if the line was where it should be.

I don't want to take away from the job Austin is doing. I'm a huge fan of his (IMO he'll be the first assistant on staff to be a HC someday). But I'd pump the breaks on being too impressed with replacing subpar talent like Wilson and Hixson. Frankly, it's what Nebraska has to do to get back to really being a legit player in the conference. It's a positive sign, though, absolutely.
Why do posts like this one give me a glass-half-full kind of feeling? Seems like this is the case at nearly all of the positions, but I think OL is an interesting study in rebuilding contending depth.

Three kids from the 2019 class are getting a lot of run. There are three others in that class that fit the model of this staff's OL. The next year our highest ranked recruit in a long time comes in with another border state kid and now here we are with three monstrously large bodies coming in again. When the 2019 class are seniors - all of them redshirted - 5th year seniors, they will have 4 classes of similar types behind them.

I can clearly see this same process taking place at LB, Secondary, What else? I will still be interested how we discuss all of this when the 2019 OL class hits their 5th year

Why do posts like this one give me a glass-half-full kind of feeling? Seems like this is the case at nearly all of the positions, but I think OL is an interesting study in rebuilding contending depth.

Three kids from the 2019 class are getting a lot of run. There are three others in that class that fit the model of this staff's OL. The next year our highest ranked recruit in a long time comes in with another border state kid and now here we are with three monstrously large bodies coming in again. When the 2019 class are seniors - all of them redshirted - 5th year seniors, they will have 4 classes of similar types behind them.

I can clearly see this same process taking place at LB, Secondary, What else? I will still be interested how we discuss all of this when the 2019 OL class hits their 5th year

To the bolded, because the glass is half full.

Outside of quarterback and the DL group from 2019, it's been a guy here and a guy there surrounded by lessor talent.

Lots of reasons why, but when we've been behind the curve. So right now we're looking at potentially finally playing out in some spots. Still a mixed bag though across the board.

I've mentioned before that I like Farniok at RG instead of LG. Good move.

Farniok said himself in the spring that the biggest difference for him between guard and tackle was actually being on the left instead of the right, where he'd played his whole career. Even when he was a RS Frosh in 2017 and started a couple games at guard, it was on the right side.

The veteran angle is smart too. I think this opens the door for Ethan Piper to slide in at LG next to Jaimes as well. Have multi-year starters next to a pair of RS freshmen with huge upsides.
Interested what this does for Wilson. Hixson/Wilson/Piper should be interesting at LG.

As Frost said, losing the spring for Benhart hurts. But everyone’s going to be dealing with that at at least one position.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back