• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Post Spring, Pre Fall Camp News Thread

Impressive how this staff has bonded with him and helped him get back online

Fully qualified

As much as I love football, it is good to see a young man get his life back on track optimizing his ability to be successful after football. This type of focus and caring by the coaches has to make a positive impression on recruits and parents of recruits. Bravo. And bravo for Mr Betts.

I can't say you'll be wrong, but I'll offer you a reason why Iowa could very well bounce back this season.

Last year, the Hawkeyes went 8-5, which were their most losses since 2017. Other than 6-2 in the 2020 Covid-shortened season, Iowa hasn't won fewer than 8 games since 2014. All of those seasons since 2017 were with Brian Ferentz as OC -- and they've never really had a good offense with him. But they do consistently have a top 10 type of defense. They are also expected to have top 10 special teams units, and they return all key pieces there (they were #12 nationally in overall special teams efficiency last season).

Iowa did bring in Cade McNamara, who should be the best QB they've had quite some time.

Last year, Iowa played both Ohio State and Michigan. This year, neither is on their schedule.

So again, 8 wins has been their floor for almost a decade. Even with Brian Ferentz. So if Cade McNamara can simply elevate Iowa's offense to subpar -- instead of the worst in the nation -- and take into account no Ohio State or Michigan to play this year -- there's a pretty good chance they top 8 wins in 2023. And if they don't, maybe Kirk will finally wake up and fire his son -- which again, I won't discount the offense weighing down an otherwise very good squad.
McNamara would be a rhythm passer at best. Not a deep shot guy. I don't see lil Ferentz adapting to a Purdue or Georgia Southern type rhythm offense. Not with there emphasis on ground game. If they lose their ground game their winning philosophy is out the door.

McNamara isn't the play action deep ball kind of QB. That is why he didn't stick in Michigan

McNamara would be a rhythm passer at best. Not a deep shot guy. I don't see lil Ferentz adapting to a Purdue or Georgia Southern type rhythm offense. Not with there emphasis on ground game. If they lose their ground game their winning philosophy is out the door.

McNamara isn't the play action deep ball kind of QB. That is why he didn't stick in Michigan
Only 49% returning production from their D. When we get them, they'll of course be better, but so will we.

I think you forgot the original point. The original point was the they will have a "BREAKOUT" season. Maintaining 8 wins would not be considered a break out. For a team that wins 8 games minimum you should at least make 10 games.

They don't define breakout -- but I simply suggested 8 wins minimum and possibly more -- given a better QB and an easier schedule. I did not give a win total, only suggesting Iowa is capable of exceeding last year's win total -- which to me, would be a breakout.

What exactly are you saying Iowa will do? 8 wins again? I can buy that as a possibility.

Last edited:

They don't define breakout -- but I simply suggested 8 wins minimum and possibly more -- given a better QB and an easier schedule. I did not give a win total, only suggesting Iowa is capable of exceeding last year's win total -- which to me, would be a breakout.

What exactly are you saying Iowa will do? 8 wins again? I can buy that as a possibility.
Honestly i see them at 6-7. I think as the teams around them are getting better. Theybare standing still and will go backwards.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back