• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Post Spring, Pre Fall Camp News Thread

I understand that we are not on it. We have not earned it. But why Iowa? They are going down IMHO because the head coach is afraid to fire his son as OC. so a huge anchor on the program.
And OU? A sub-500 team with more new transfers in than us? Pat Jones isn’t buying it and neither am I.

I understand that we are not on it. We have not earned it. But why Iowa? They are going down IMHO because the head coach is afraid to fire his son as OC. so a huge anchor on the program.

I can't say you'll be wrong, but I'll offer you a reason why Iowa could very well bounce back this season.

Last year, the Hawkeyes went 8-5, which were their most losses since 2017. Other than 6-2 in the 2020 Covid-shortened season, Iowa hasn't won fewer than 8 games since 2014. All of those seasons since 2017 were with Brian Ferentz as OC -- and they've never really had a good offense with him. But they do consistently have a top 10 type of defense. They are also expected to have top 10 special teams units, and they return all key pieces there (they were #12 nationally in overall special teams efficiency last season).

Iowa did bring in Cade McNamara, who should be the best QB they've had quite some time.

Last year, Iowa played both Ohio State and Michigan. This year, neither is on their schedule.

So again, 8 wins has been their floor for almost a decade. Even with Brian Ferentz. So if Cade McNamara can simply elevate Iowa's offense to subpar -- instead of the worst in the nation -- and take into account no Ohio State or Michigan to play this year -- there's a pretty good chance they top 8 wins in 2023. And if they don't, maybe Kirk will finally wake up and fire his son -- which again, I won't discount the offense weighing down an otherwise very good squad.

Last edited:
I can't say you'll be wrong, but I'll offer you a reason why Iowa could very well bounce back this season.

Last year, the Hawkeyes went 8-5, which were their most losses since 2017. Other than 6-2 in the 2020 Covid-shortened season, Iowa hasn't won fewer than 8 games since 2014. All of those seasons since 2017 were with Brian Ferentz as OC -- and they've never really had a good offense with him. But they do consistently have a top 10 type of defense. They are also expected to have top 10 special teams units, and they return all key pieces there (they were #12 nationally in overall special teams efficiency last season).

Iowa did bring in Cade McNamara, who should be the best QB they've had quite some time.

Last year, Iowa played both Ohio State and Michigan. This year, neither is on their schedule.

So again, 8 wins has been their floor for almost a decade. Even with Brian Ferentz. So if Cade McNamara can simply elevate Iowa's offense to subpar -- instead of the worst in the nation -- and take into account no Ohio State or Michigan to play this year -- there's a pretty good chance they top 8 wins in 2023. And if they don't, maybe Kirk will finally wake up and fire his son -- which again, I won't discount the offense weighing down an otherwise very good squad.
Iowa has 5 returning starters on defense, 8 on offense, including 2 potentially decent receivers plus that QB

Iowa has 5 returning starters on defense, 8 on offense, including 2 potentially decent receivers plus that QB

Regarding receivers -- for Iowa, it's typically all about the tight end position. They return their top TE (and leader in receiving TDs in 2022) and add a Michigan transfer, who was honorable mention in 2021 (had surgery last year and missed most of the season). As always, they'll be in the mix for the top tight end play in the nation. They also return their starting RB, who had just under 800 yards rushing last season. All five o-linemen are back -- and continuity matters on the line.

Defensively, when was the last time they weren't good? Credit to their defensive coordinator. That's a factory. They return a first team all-Big 10 CB, and a sophomore 5-star recruit is expected to take over at safety.

Iowa is probably the most predictable, consistent team in the Big Ten West. 8 wins has been the floor for almost a decade, they've been to a bowl game 14 of the past 15 years, and they've only had two losing seasons in the past 22 years. The odds are good the Hawkeyes can maintain or exceed those trends in 2023 -- especially with an easier schedule and a better QB.

Regarding receivers -- for Iowa, it's typically all about the tight end position. They return their top TE (and leader in receiving TDs in 2022) and add a Michigan transfer, who was honorable mention in 2021 (had surgery last year and missed most of the season). As always, they'll be in the mix for the top tight end play in the nation. They also return their starting RB, who had just under 800 yards rushing last season. All five o-linemen are back -- and continuity matters on the line.

Defensively, when was the last time they weren't good? Credit to their defensive coordinator. That's a factory. They return a first team all-Big 10 CB, and a sophomore 5-star recruit is expected to take over at safety.

Iowa is probably the most predictable, consistent team in the Big Ten West. 8 wins has been the floor for almost a decade, they've been to a bowl game 14 of the past 15 years, and they've only had two losing seasons in the past 22 years. The odds are good the Hawkeyes can maintain or exceed those trends in 2023 -- especially with an easier schedule and a better QB.
Agreed with everything but the D only has 49% production returning, thin at O line as well.
All this portends for lack of the consistency they're known for, similar to their O line last year

I think you forgot the original point. The original point was the they will have a "BREAKOUT" season. Maintaining 8 wins would not be considered a break out. For a team that wins 8 games minimum you should at least make 10 games.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back