• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Poll: Who Has Been the Biggest Disappointment So Far: Scott Frost or Fred Hoiberg?

Who Has Been the Biggest Disappointment So Far: Scott Frost or Fred Hoiberg?

• A: Scott Frost

Votes: 85 68.0%
  • B: Fred Hoiberg

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • C: Both have been equally disappointing

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • D: Neither; both are doing fine so far

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • E: Neither has been a disappointment; I had low expectations for both

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

Watch out ya'll. Squatchsker is simply Not Amused with the shenanigans on this thread! I do think better times are ahead for both Husker coaches. When those better times will happen I cannot say, but, I do believe that they will happen!
1616156751010.png

Last edited:

I’ve never figured out why anybody gives a rip if people pump sunshine or pump the brakes. We aren’t curing cancer here. It’s a flipping sports team.

We are currently in the “other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?” timeline for Nebraska major men’s sports. It’s easy to get a little salty.

Watch out ya'll. Squatchsker is simply Not Amused with the shenanigans on this thread! I do think better times are ahead for both Husker coaches. When and/or where those better times will happen I cannot say, but, I do believe that they will happen

Added the bolded... Just my CYA mindset these days. ;)

Last edited:
The only real disappointment I have with Scott Frost was his "cocky comments" when he arrived on campus, and not being able to back up those comments. Maybe he made those comments to give the players confidence to rise to the challenge even though he knew the team wasn't physically or mentally ready. Fake it till you make it. That hasn't worked out very well.

I'm always disappointed when any Nebraska team loses, from football to the rifle team. But losses don't mean that changes and improvements aren't taking place. My untrained eyes see both changes and improvements in football, and men's and women's basketball. Do I see national championships in any of the 3 sports next season? No, but I want to see some (a lot of) improvement in the play and coaching.

Both Frost and Hoiberg are changing over the rosters. As was stated earlier in this thread, Hoiberg job is easier to do. Much easier to change over 13 players than 130 players, thus it will take longer for Frost to accomplish this task. I also believe (again, my untrained mind) is it takes longer to develop a football player than it does a basketball player. Another hurdle for Frost to overcome in a comparison of the two coaches.

I still want both coaches to succeed beyond our wildest dreams. And I still believe it is going to require more patience.

As a side note, anyone who makes a 7+ digit salary, better be perfect in all thought, word, and deed from day 1. If not, they are being horribly overpaid.

Both are disappointing thus far. However, I expected better results from Frost in year three than I did in Hoiberg in year two.

There's no doubt our football team has unperformed in relation to our talent compared to the rest of the conference (West division, in particular).

You can't really say the same with the basketball team -- not yet anyhow. Hoiberg is, however, pulling in some of our best recruits ever, so expectations will rise soon. Fred did choose to blow up the roster upon arrival, so it was obviously going to be a chore.

Also, the Big Ten is a significantly better basketball conference than it is in football. Heck, the Big Ten just set the record for the most teams that conference has ever had in the NCAA Tournament -- and it was simply the best basketball conference in the nation this season. Four of the top eight teams in the tournament, based on seeding, are from the Big Ten -- along with five other teams. And there are no Big Ten divisions for basketball -- so Nebraska is competing against all of the schools equally -- no easy chore for one of the least experienced, least talented teams in the conference.

That said, I am expecting significant improvements from Hoiberg's team next season. Year three should start to show that for any sport -- or else my concern grows quickly.

At this point, however, Frost has underachieved more. He's had a year longer than Fred, has better all around talent, and plays in a division where the Huskers should be competing for the top spot given that talent.

agree with a lot of this, especially Frost!

With Rutgers making the NCAA hoops tourney, Nebraska has vaulted into first place for P5 futility in football and basketball. We are the only team without a bowl game or NCAA tourney appearance in the past 4 seasons.

At some point, it's gonna turn in our favor.
Wow. I did not know that. Isn’t the basketball team the only one who has never won an NCAA tourney game? Power 5 wise? I think there might be one other school. Not sure.

I didn’t participate in the poll but would say that I’m disappointed that our records in both sports aren’t better and it is frustrating to see the losses in winnable games due to game management mistakes and poor execution. On the flip side, I’m personally still remaining patient and optimistic in football, largely because there were some extraordinary circumstances in each of the first three football seasons - the thunderstorm and Martinez injury cost us 3 games IMO in year 1, the fluky kicker injuries in year 2, Covid in year 3 have slowed progress. That said, Our coaches are still learning and persevering which, again in my opinion, well lead us to improvements. They are getting better equipped for the rugged nature of the B1G, improving special teams, defense etc. From where we were, it would have been difficult to have the instant gratification we all desired. But feel free to ask me again after the 2021 season!

Wow. I did not know that. Isn’t the basketball team the only one who has never won an NCAA tourney game? Power 5 wise? I think there might be one other school. Not sure.

Correct. We had the company of Northwestern until 2017. The Wildcats went almost 5 decades without going over .500 in conference play and had never even made the tournament field until getting invited and winning their first round game in 2017.

GET TICKETS

Back