• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Poll: Who Has Been the Biggest Disappointment So Far: Scott Frost or Fred Hoiberg?

Who Has Been the Biggest Disappointment So Far: Scott Frost or Fred Hoiberg?

• A: Scott Frost

Votes: 85 68.0%
  • B: Fred Hoiberg

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • C: Both have been equally disappointing

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • D: Neither; both are doing fine so far

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • E: Neither has been a disappointment; I had low expectations for both

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

Blue Howl

Team Dogo Argentino
10 Year Member
This was a tough call for me. I had high expectations for both. Both had big hills to climb, but their resumes indicated that both were up for the job. Hoiberg has had one less year so far, but basketball is usually easier to make a quick turnaround due to the small rosters and the fact that young players are frequently key contributors.

In the end, I voted for Frost primarily because Nebraska football has a history of success whereas Nebraska basketball has historically been mediocre or worse. So I am used to Nebraska basketball ineptitude, but not so with Nebraska football. I really thought that by the end of year 3 under Frost we would see significant improvement.

Also, this article makes a pretty good case on behalf of Hoiberg.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2021/02/18/nebraska-cornhuskers-fred-hoiberg-has-been-dealt-a-bad-hand/

High hopes with a disappointing trajectory. Still hope he finds the winning way in DONU football.

With Rutgers making the NCAA hoops tourney, Nebraska has vaulted into first place for P5 futility in football and basketball. We are the only team without a bowl game or NCAA tourney appearance in the past 4 seasons.

At some point, it's gonna turn in our favor.

Last edited:
I am probably disappointed in both equally, but for different reasons.

First of all I will say this about playing in the B1G in football or basketball, it is a pretty tough conference top to bottom. Its a grind and both sports play a rugged physical style of game. Both Frost and Hoiberg came into the league wanting to play a more finesse style of game and it hasn't worked.

Frost has made 4 big mistakes IMO.
1. He wanted/wants his team to play like Oregon 2010 to 2014. Lots of speed, outscore opponents. Nebraska doesn't have anything close to the speed that Oregon has even now. Nebraska is not scoring 45 pts a game. Part of that is not having enough speed to run his offense and part of that is #2
2. The B1G plays defense. It plays defense better than the PAC 12 and it plays defense better than the AAC. This goes back to the physical style of play. You have to at least be able to play middle of the league defense to be successful.
3. Frost shot his mouth off unnecessarily prior to the 2018 season and I think he really rub a lot of coaches the wrong way. Even if Nebraska isn't that good, the coaches in this league know Nebraska's history. It is always a big thing to beat Nebraska. They don't need any more incentive.
4. I don't think he realized how good overall the B1G is nor did he realize how Nebraska's roster was unprepared to play in the B1G.

I think Frost is rectifying all of these things.
I think he is tweaking his offensive philosophy to more of a down hill run spread team. Run a little more clock. Its OK to score on a 10 play drive instead of 5 play drive.
I think they are starting to play more physical defense. Its OK to win the game 31-21 instead of 52-41.
I think he is humbled and is keeping his mouth shut better.
I think he understands that the B1G is a big boy conference which means it is a linemen conference. Linemen take time to develop that is starting to come around.

I can see Nebraska getting better, because I have coached a lot of football. Basketball I know a lot less about.

With Hoiberg I see him wanting to play like an NBA team without the NBA talent. he wants to shoot 3's and make layups but they they don't do any of that well.

I knew they were not going to be very good his first year here, but I never thought they would be that bad. I thought something like 12-18 bad not what it was. I knew they would get killed on the glass, but I thought they were suppose to at least be able to shoot 3's for a decent rate and make some free throws. They did none of that and on top of that were a TO machine. That was the 2019-2020 season.

So lets get rid of almost all the players and start over. The 2020-2021 season was a repeat of the year before. Poor rebounding, poor 3 point shooting, can't finish at the rim, 18 TO a game, and still can't shoot free throws.

I guess we will see what Next year brings.

With Rutgers making the NCAA hoops tourney, Nebraska has vaulted into first place for P5 futility in football and basketball. We are the only team without a bowl game or NCAA tourney appearance in the past 4 seasons.

Were Number 1

1. He wanted/wants his team to play like Oregon 2010 to 2014. Lots of speed, outscore opponents. Nebraska doesn't have anything close to the speed that Oregon has even now. Nebraska is not scoring 45 pts a game. Part of that is not having enough speed to run his offense and part of that is #2
2. The B1G plays defense. It plays defense better than the PAC 12 and it plays defense better than the AAC. This goes back to the physical style of play. You have to at least be able to play middle of the league defense to be successful.

The reason Oregon shot into power wasn't because of flashy Nike uniforms and bags of money from Phil Knight (although it helped).

The primary reason was that Oregon has been a long time power in all manner of running sports. Bowerman and Knight basically invented the modern running shoe and Eugene has been Track Town USA for decades. There have been a lot of fast athletes here for a long, long time.

Chip Kelly was smart and started recruiting track stars to play football. He notably got guys like De'Anthony Thomas who consistently ran 4.20-4.30 times in the 40 yard dash. As far as the linemen go, you don't need top end speed, but just a quick step and fast acceleration. Think Ndamukong Suh. Once you establish a core of WR/RB/DB speed on both sides of the ball, you can get serviceable linemen in the trenches. Before you know it, you're outrunning sluggish Pac-12 defenses and scoring 70ppg.

The Oregon problem, as I've long said on here, was physical meat-grinder defenses. The teams that could hamstring Oregon's speed were always Big Ten and SEC schools, plus Stanford, who's basically a B1G style bruiser in the Pac-12. Oregon could outrun and outgun the likes of Washington, USC or Arizona State, but they could NEVER outmuscle Ohio State, Auburn or Wisconsin very effectively.

If you see a trend there, you're smarter that Scott Frost. He took the Oregon playbook and tried to not only run it against a team that was well-suited to defend it... he took that playbook to AN ENTIRE CONFERENCE of teams well-suited to defend it. The B1G is full of 350lb monsters who will crush your skull and chew your bones. There's no speed or finesse when a Wisconsin TE or FB knocks your LB on his ass 15 yards past the LOS. There's no shiftiness when a bunch of Michigan DBs crack your WR's ribcage when getting underthrown on a slant route.

I like Frost --a lot-- but his idea of "Oregoning" the Big Ten is foolish at best.

GET TICKETS

Back