• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Poll: Who Has Been the Biggest Disappointment So Far: Scott Frost or Fred Hoiberg?

Who Has Been the Biggest Disappointment So Far: Scott Frost or Fred Hoiberg?

• A: Scott Frost

Votes: 85 68.0%
  • B: Fred Hoiberg

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • C: Both have been equally disappointing

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • D: Neither; both are doing fine so far

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • E: Neither has been a disappointment; I had low expectations for both

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

I don’t think either is doing fine, but I’m not sure I understand the incessant piling on.
I agree with CraHu. Except that this was a dominant victory for Fred Hoiberg, and I'll enjoy it since those have been few and far between. Other than that, total agreement. ;)

Both are disappointing thus far. However, I expected better results from Frost in year three than I did in Hoiberg in year two.

There's no doubt our football team has unperformed in relation to our talent compared to the rest of the conference (West division, in particular).

You can't really say the same with the basketball team -- not yet anyhow. Hoiberg is, however, pulling in some of our best recruits ever, so expectations will rise soon. Fred did choose to blow up the roster upon arrival, so it was obviously going to be a chore.

Also, the Big Ten is a significantly better basketball conference than it is in football. Heck, the Big Ten just set the record for the most teams that conference has ever had in the NCAA Tournament -- and it was simply the best basketball conference in the nation this season. Four of the top eight teams in the tournament, based on seeding, are from the Big Ten -- along with five other teams. And there are no Big Ten divisions for basketball -- so Nebraska is competing against all of the schools equally -- no easy chore for one of the least experienced, least talented teams in the conference.

That said, I am expecting significant improvements from Hoiberg's team next season. Year three should start to show that for any sport -- or else my concern grows quickly.

At this point, however, Frost has underachieved more. He's had a year longer than Fred, has better all around talent, and plays in a division where the Huskers should be competing for the top spot given that talent.

Both are disappointing thus far. However, I expected better results from Frost in year three than I did in Hoiberg in year two.

There's no doubt our football team has unperformed in relation to our talent compared to the rest of the conference (West division, in particular).

You can't really say the same with the basketball team -- not yet anyhow. Hoiberg is, however, pulling in some of our best recruits ever, so expectations will rise soon. Fred did choose to blow up the roster upon arrival, so it was obviously going to be a chore.

Also, the Big Ten is a significantly better basketball conference than it is in football. Heck, the Big Ten just set the record for the most teams that conference has ever had in the NCAA Tournament -- and it was simply the best basketball conference in the nation this season. Four of the top eight teams in the tournament, based on seeding, are from the Big Ten -- along with five other teams. And there are no Big Ten divisions for basketball -- so Nebraska is competing against all of the schools equally -- no easy chore for one of the least experienced, least talented teams in the conference.

That said, I am expecting significant improvements from Hoiberg's team next season. Year three should start to show that for any sport -- or else my concern grows quickly.

At this point, however, Frost has underachieved more. He's had a year longer than Fred, has better all around talent, and plays in a division where the Huskers should be competing for the top spot given that talent.

Without bringing up either coach, and I do agree with you for the most part assessing both coaches, it is much easier to improve quickly in bball than football. Less players to upgrade the roster, more good players that are possible to get, the three point line, etc.

The Oregon problem, as I've long said on here, was physical meat-grinder defenses. The teams that could hamstring Oregon's speed were always Big Ten and SEC schools, plus Stanford, who's basically a B1G style bruiser in the Pac-12. Oregon could outrun and outgun the likes of Washington, USC or Arizona State, but they could NEVER outmuscle Ohio State, Auburn or Wisconsin very effectively.

I like Frost --a lot-- but his idea of "Oregoning" the Big Ten is foolish at best.

I am not sure if you are arguing with me or agreeing with me.

I agree with everything you are saying to a degree. You make it sound like they were getting killed by the power football teams which isn't really true. Those teams totally gave them the most problems, but they still won more of those games than they lost. Heck if not for a fluke, the runner was never down, play they probably beat Auburn for the NC in what 2011? Those were all really good teams they were playing.

I do agree that trying to play this type of offense over a 9 game conference schedule is too much. It just needs to be tweaked some. You saw that against Rutgers this year. You saw it against Wisconsin the year before. The whole offense can't just be about how many guys are in the box. Sometimes you have to run the ball when there are 7+ guys in the box. I think he is learning this.

Good post. Well thought out and definitely not "piling on," just stating reality.

GET TICKETS

Back