• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Place Kicking

coherbie

Booster of Substance
20 Year Member
:O O:

nice to see McCallum kick those last three extra points... prior to that, FG & PAT attempts were an absolute cluster.

Very little confidence in this area, hopefully as DONU moves into conference play & tight games, this all can get worked out.

If Pickering is lost for the season, then it will be dicey....even if he comes back at some point, expect there to be rust as he will basically be starting from scratch after a long lay off, though i would expect him to get into his rhythm sooner than later.

If Pickering is lost for the season, then it will be dicey....even if he comes back at some point, expect there to be rust as he will basically be starting from scratch after a long lay off, though i would expect him to get into his rhythm sooner than later.

Has there ever been any clarification to the nature of his injury?

nice to see McCallum kick those last three extra points... prior to that, FG & PAT attempts were an absolute cluster.

Just a comment here as a longtime specials coach. The blocked field goal was because our right end inexplicably blocked out on the man that was the wing's responsibility. 100 out of 100 times you need to block down into a zone whether there is someone there or not. Why they doubled I don't know but that gave a clear path to the ball for the tackle in that gap. The two extra points were blocked from either edge which was 100% due to the wings misalignment pre-snap. The outside foot of the wing needs to be out at about a 45* angle and each block was the result of the wings foot being too far upfield which gave their edge rusher a shorter path to the ball. When the sub came in to kick neither of these things happened and the kicks were good. I didn't put a stopwatch to the snap-hold-kick for Armstrong but that didn't seem to be the issue, at least to me. If someone recorded the game and can time the snap-hold-kick for either kickers that would be most helpful and could prove me wrong on the kicks blocked on the edge. It needs to be 1.1 seconds or under.

Last edited:

Just a comment here as a longtime specials coach. The blocked field goal was because our right end inexplicably blocked out on the man that was the wing's responsibility. 100 out of 100 times you need to block down into a zone whether there is someone there or not. Why they doubled I don't know but that gave a clear path to the ball for the tackle in that gap. The two extra points were blocked from either edge which was 100% due to the wings misalignment pre-snap. The outside foot of the wing needs to be out at about a 45* angle and each block was the result of the wings foot being too far upfield which gave their edge rusher a shorter path to the ball. When the sub came in to kick neither of these things happened and the kicks were good. I didn't put a stopwatch to the snap-hold-kick for Armstrong but that didn't seem to be the issue, at least to me. If someone recorded the game and can time the snap-hold-kick for either kickers that would be most helpful and could prove me wrong on the kicks blocked on the edge. It needs to be 1.1 seconds or under.
On the second block FG it came off his foot very low which was also a contributing factor.

Good explanation, thanks.

I didn't time it, but it looked like snap-hold was fast enough, but Armstrong got into his steps a little late. I get it, he's a punter being asked to kick... it's not his thing. I think it can be fixed relatively easily.

I also thought I heard Frost say that he expects to be at full kicking strength soon. He also said McCallum will continue to get opportunities. I haven't heard anything specific about Pickering, so who knows?

Didn’t matter who was kicking Armstrong or Mcallum (sp), I always got about 1.3 seconds give or take a few hundredths.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back