• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Place Kicking

Sorry Guys, I fat fingered it. I meant to type 1.2 or under which is what we are consistently (my HS kickers).

agree about the protection ... although would add that IA just doesn't look comfortable/confident, perhaps it's that whole lefty thing ;)

Didn’t matter who was kicking Armstrong or Mcallum (sp), I always got about 1.3 seconds give or take a few hundredths.

Thanks ADP, it means it was the blocking on the edge on two of them and if Isaac was hitting it low like thom said, it could have been either reason. The good news is that it's all fixable and if I see then they definitely see it!

Last edited:
I think for professionals that is extremely slow. OUr HS kicker was routinely 1.4 to 1.5,
I knew nothing about the quantity of time before this thread started - obviously they try to get it away pretty quick. I thought I had isolated Armstrong’s problem as the ball being in the holder’s hands before he finished his first step. Then I watched the 49er kicker not move until the holder was moving the ball down toward the spot.

Thanks ADP, it means it was the blocking on the edge on two of them and if Isaac was hitting it low like thom said, it could have been either reason. The good news is that it's all fixable and if I see then they definitely see it!

If it is that IA kicks low, is it possible they are being more aggressive in their blocking to limit penetration? A little forward push as opposed to just setting feet and holding them at bay? This would give the guy off the edge a more direct angle to the ball.

If it is that IA kicks low, is it possible they are being more aggressive in their blocking to limit penetration? A little forward push as opposed to just setting feet and holding them at bay? This would give the guy off the edge a more direct angle to the ball.

Blocking for FG/PAT is a technique that is often called "die a slow death" or "just be sure to die slowly". The interior linemen all step to the inside protecting their inside gap no matter where or how the defense is aligned. The interior blocking scheme is designed to prevent any penetration other than right through the lineman and not a gap so often times one might see a lineman get stood up or even knocked backwards. While that is not ideal if it prevents clear penetration to the ball then the lineman did his job. The wing protector on the edge is a different story. While he must also block down 100 out of 100 times he must also align himself so that edge rushers do not have a short path to the ball. They have the hardest job in that the most dangerous man on FG block is the inside gap of the wing, the second most is the edge rusher and he has to prevent both of them getting there. The inside gap is protected by always stepping down and punching hard to that inside gap. The outside is protected by aligning your outside foot at a roughly 45* angle to prevent the edge from getting a straight shot to the ball. Some guys are really good at stepping down and also punching the edge rusher as he goes around. I always have a tight end type player that is disciplined, smart and strong at the wings. I hope this make some sense!

Blocking for FG/PAT is a technique that is often called "die a slow death" or "just be sure to die slowly". The interior linemen all step to the inside protecting their inside gap no matter where or how the defense is aligned. The interior blocking scheme is designed to prevent any penetration other than right through the lineman and not a gap so often times one might see a lineman get stood up or even knocked backwards. While that is not ideal if it prevents clear penetration to the ball then the lineman did his job. The wing protector on the edge is a different story. While he must also block down 100 out of 100 times he must also align himself so that edge rushers do not have a short path to the ball. They have the hardest job in that the most dangerous man on FG block is the inside gap of the wing, the second most is the edge rusher and he has to prevent both of them getting there. The inside gap is protected by always stepping down and punching hard to that inside gap. The outside is protected by aligning your outside foot at a roughly 45* angle to prevent the edge from getting a straight shot to the ball. Some guys are really good at stepping down and also punching the edge rusher as he goes around. I always have a tight end type player that is disciplined, smart and strong at the wings. I hope this make some sense!
Very clear, thanks!

On the second block FG it came off his foot very low which was also a contributing factor.

thom, I just watched a video from Husker Online HOL HD: Nebraska vs. Northern Illinois Sights & Sounds:

Go to the 23 second mark and watch the holder for IA, #16 Vedral. If he was the holder in the game for IA this will show you why he was kicking the ball low. Vedral placed his right hand on the ground where IA wants him to place the ball. Watch where Vedral taps the ground (the Go signal) and watch where he places it. It is a good 3 to 4 inches forward of his initial hand placement which is just the same as a kicker landing his plant foot too far back resulting in striking the ball to high up which creates more of a line drive kick. If he did this during the game then that would be a big contributing factor. There is a reason teams practice FG every day because more than any other play in football, timing, rhythm spacing, steps, distance, placement etc etc play a crucial role for it to work. One thing off and it all blows up. The question I have is was Vedral IA's holder during the game and was he also the holder for the right footed sub later on? That may answer some questions.

Being such a special teams nerd, I cannot leave well enough alone!

Last edited:
thom, I just watched a video from Husker Online HOL HD: Nebraska vs. Northern Illinois Sights & Sounds:

Go to the 23 second mark and watch the holder for IA, #16 Vedral. If he was the holder in the game for IA this will show you why he was kicking the ball low. Vedral placed his right hand on the ground where IA wants him to place the ball. Watch where Vedral taps the ground (the Go signal) and watch where he places it. It is a good 3 to 4 inches forward of his initial hand placement which is just the same as a kicker landing his plant foot too far back resulting in striking the ball to high up which creates more of a line drive kick. If he did this during the game then that would be a big contributing factor. There is a reason teams practice FG every day because more than any other play in football, timing, rhythm spacing, steps, distance, placement etc etc play a crucial role for it to work. One thing off and it all blows up. The question I have is was Vedral IA's holder during the game and was he also the holder for the right footed sub later on? That may answer some questions.

That is some serious deep analysis my friend, Good job.

Think I remember the announcers saying Armstrong was actually the holder late in the game.

Vedral was the holder early for Armstrong, IIRC. On one of the replays, I was scrutinizing the hold, and other than not spinning the laces, it looked good. Didn’t think to look at placement of the hold.

Vedral was the holder early for Armstrong, IIRC. On one of the replays, I was scrutinizing the hold, and other than not spinning the laces, it looked good. Didn’t think to look at placement of the hold.

Looking at the placement of the hold fore and aft is near impossible from the EZ view, you need a sideline view which you rarely get on a broadcast. We get 4 views in my HS games so it's easy to do. Years ago when they banned the FG tee's in college it wasn't just the fact that the ball was no longer teed up that made it more difficult, there was also no "target" for the holder to place the ball. Every year I have kickers that want to kick off the ground and I only let them if our holder is good enough to place the ball exactly where the kicker wants it.

Last edited:

What is Jorgenson's status? Is he also banged up or just ineffective? Hard to believe during fall camp it was stated he was battling Pickering for the job. Probably mythology.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back