• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

PJ Fleck to Martinez: "I’m really proud of how good you’ve gotten."

Watching my grandson play baseball the last couple of summers (he's 10 now) I've seen umps and opposing coaches aknowledge a well-played out or a great hit. I kinda thought that's what sportsmanship was all about: appreciating good work even when it's on the opposing team.

I don't know Fleck from Adam, so I don't know if he has ulterior motives, but telling a kid you think he's done good work can't be all that bad.

I don't know Fleck from Adam, so I don't know if he has ulterior motives, but telling a kid you think he's done good work can't be all that bad.
Actually, it can be.

Example:
"You did good work. Great accomplishment!"

Vs.

"You did good work. Great accomplishment for someone like you!"

I know that's not what Fleck said, and like you I don't have a strong opinion of him one way or the other. But I know that others do have an opinion of him that he's a little greasy, and I'm just saying if he is, then his comment doesn't necessarily absolve him of that perspective.

Some people are enamored with perfunctories and platitudes, and others aren't.

It SEEMED like a classy move. That's what I thought at the time. As I watched the BTN show last night, I thought PJ may just be playing it up for the cameras, as he knew they were profiling his program last week. I don't know. Just seems like his messages aren't always consistent.

He probably is sincere in what said to AM. But he is playing to the camera. Everything he does is for an effect.

I don’t know about that. There is probably many coaches that know how talented he is, and think, hey, I can correct those mishaps. I think there would be many who’d want him, should he decide to do that.
Put a half way decent O-line in front of him and he can be very effective. Or in the alternative, only play against teams that don't have good D-lines, like Northwestern.

You may be right. Unfortunately I don’t see this ever happening. I can’t argue about something that I can’t actually see. I loved option football. I enjoyed the fullback and Nebraska crushing people. Your point about what high schools are running is spot on.
Look at army? They are doing that with 0* athletes. Highly competitive. There isn’t anything to argue. If you could get the players, like what NU used to get, in this finesse football that’s played today, NU would kill people. Like I said, I don’t think the talent to operate it, is skilled enough. Everyone is running the spread, in different variations. It would also, take years to build and commit to. Was just saying, no question, it would absolutely be dominant.

Everyone is finding ways to dog Fleck on how he pandered to the cameras... after beating Nebraska.

Say what you will about his motivations or mind games, but the guy can coach football.

Yes, he is a good coach. But he is all about cultivating an image and that is what people don't like about him. That and he talks a mile a minute and says nothing a lot of the time or is giving a back handed compliment about someone or something. Those were Damon Bennings words the other day.

You can have a row the boat slogan and be all rah rah without all the other stuff. Greg Schiano does it, and so did Pete Carroll.

Look at army? They are doing that with 0* athletes. Highly competitive. There isn’t anything to argue. If you could get the players, like what NU used to get, in this finesse football that’s played today, NU would kill people. Like I said, I don’t think the talent to operate it, is skilled enough. Everyone is running the spread, in different variations. It would also, take years to build and commit to. Was just saying, no question, it would absolutely be dominant.

Triple option wishbone type football would definitely work, but getting the players would be almost impossible. No one would want to do it because it is all about getting to the Show. The funny thing is that back in OU's wishbone hayday of the 70's and 80's they used to put plenty of offensive guys into the NFL. Keith Jackson, Steve Sewell, Kenny King, David Overstreet, Billy Sims, Spencer Tillman just to name a few.

He’s “proud” of him? That hits the ear wrong. Pride implies Fleck’s involvement, and makes the compliment about Fleck, not AM.

I’m not proud of the kid who puts up our Christmas lights. He does a good job, though.
Huh? How is that about PJ?
Can you imagine the film they watched on AM knowing he is the very one on the field that could beat your team.

The effort it took to take away the tendencies AM shows? To improve your chances. Maybe not cause SF say we don’t have time to practice that.

I'm in the corner that what PJ said to AM was genuine. If he was mugging for the cameras he wouldn't have pulled him close and talked in his ear. He would have done it loud to ensure everyone could hear.

I watched a video of him talking to his team about feeling pressure and how pressure is a good thing because it shows your life has meaning. I'm paraphrasing and not doing it justice, but I think it's a great message for young people who often deal with behavior health issues. It wasn't the showman locker room speech where he pulled a "diamond" out of a bag, it was just a from the heart talk with the team.

His story of how he came to "row the boat" is nothing if not genuine.

Yes, he's an energizer bunny and can rub people the wrong way, but I've watched one of his coaching clinic videos where he fully admitted he's known as he "slogan coach" and that he is hyper. But, he knows who he is and the culture he wants for his team.

That said, I'm not a fanboy of his, and do think he's a bit of a hype man / used car salesman, but I can also acknowledge his success and that he can, at times, be genuine.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back