• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

PJ Fleck to Martinez: "I’m really proud of how good you’ve gotten."

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member

Fleck embraced Martinez after the game and told him that he was proud of Adrian's progress. He indicated that he watches a lot of guys around college football and monitors progress from afar.

Maybe I'm wrong about Fleck on a personal level, but I've always thought of him as one of these coked-up used car salesman types. I can't really think of any major scandal or reason to think he's a colossal douchebag, but that image of him still persists in my mind.

Anyway, I thought it was a classy move on his part. Maybe we can lure him away from the Goofers after Frost gets fired.

I say the boat captain should put his money where his mouth is, and offer AM a grad transfer slot to MN for his sixth year of eligibility. Something tells me that wont happen...
I will continue to be in AM's corner and say again-I think he is much more appreciated and respected by coaches and fans across the conference than he is in our own program which I think is sad. People that know appreciate what he brings to the game. Look what Lamar Jackson has done and continues to do for the Ravens. Dude is a fumbling machine but probably regarded as one of the top five qbs in the game right now. Yes this is a crazy comparison but Baltimore has learned to live with the mistakes for what he brings to the table. I'm pretty sure we still have three wins this year with Smothers but I am also pretty sure we are not in the game with Michigan, Oklahoma, or MSU if he is leading the charge. That's not a knock on Smothers it just a reality that AM is our offense and when he is off (first half of Minnesota and Illinois) you see what we look like. Last I checked college QB's have off days.

I will continue to be in AM's corner and say again-I think he is much more appreciated and respected by coaches and fans across the conference than he is in our own program which I think is sad. People that know appreciate what he brings to the game. Look what Lamar Jackson has done and continues to do for the Ravens. Dude is a fumbling machine but probably regarded as one of the top five qbs in the game right now. Yes this is a crazy comparison but Baltimore has learned to live with the mistakes for what he brings to the table. I'm pretty sure we still have three wins this year with Smothers but I am also pretty sure we are not in the game with Michigan, Oklahoma, or MSU if he is leading the charge. That's not a knock on Smothers it just a reality that AM is our offense and when he is off (first half of Minnesota and Illinois) you see what we look like. Last I checked college QB's have off days.
Don't get me wrong...I think AM is a fine young man and a good personal representative for the university. Having said that, Frost's W/L record is AM's W/L record for all practical purposes. My point is that PJ can be proud of AM's progress (so am I, in some warped way), but I don't believe neither Fleck or any other P5 coach will be beating down AM's door to be a grad transfer for his final year of eligibility (it that is AM's preferred route).

I’m hard on the kid and will never really appreciate him. As a person I think he’s a great one. I don’t really think he’s as appreciated as you do but I understand your point. The local fan base will ales be harder on their own guy. For me it’s even more an issue with the offense. I don’t like run first quarterbacks. I like mobile quarterbacks who are better passers. It’s not just AM it’s every quarterback we’ve had since leaving option football behind. Football has morphed into an offensive game where the best quarterbacks are throwing for 300-400 yards per game. The really bone headed mistakes stick with me. I’m still mad at Taylor Martinez for flipping the ball back in bounds. Though some of the greatest to ever play made multiple mistakes. Brett Favre and Mahomes are great examples. The difference is they also could bring a team back late on a last drive and win the game. Obviously play calling abd a piss poor offensive line affect this too.

Don't get me wrong...I think AM is a fine young man and a good personal representative for the university. Having said that, Frost's W/L record is AM's W/L record for all practical purposes. My point is that PJ can be proud of AM's progress (so am I, in some warped way), but I don't believe neither Fleck or any other P5 coach will be beating down AM's door to be a grad transfer for his final year of eligibility (it that is AM's preferred route).
I don’t know about that. There is probably many coaches that know how talented he is, and think, hey, I can correct those mishaps. I think there would be many who’d want him, should he decide to do that.

I’m hard on the kid and will never really appreciate him. As a person I think he’s a great one. I don’t really think he’s as appreciated as you do but I understand your point. The local fan base will ales be harder on their own guy. For me it’s even more an issue with the offense. I don’t like run first quarterbacks. I like mobile quarterbacks who are better passers. It’s not just AM it’s every quarterback we’ve had since leaving option football behind. Football has morphed into an offensive game where the best quarterbacks are throwing for 300-400 yards per game. The really bone headed mistakes stick with me. I’m still mad at Taylor Martinez for flipping the ball back in bounds. Though some of the greatest to ever play made multiple mistakes. Brett Favre and Mahomes are great examples. The difference is they also could bring a team back late on a last drive and win the game. Obviously play calling abd a piss poor offensive line affect this too.

I'll see your pocket passer and raise you a pair of sevens:

Frost-and-Crouch-poll.jpg

However many, lol. I just think there would be a lot of coaches that would take him. He is very talented, so you have the basis to work with. Coaching could change bad habits and sloppy play.
Rumours say AM asked Fleck about transferring to Minny, Fleck said he thought AM should stay in NU for as long as possible :thumbsup:

Different era and yes I loved the option and both those guys.
Doesn’t matter. If NU could have that system, and get the players, it would be lethal to this day. Problem is getting the right talent today since there isn’t as much true option being run in high schools. If you could clone Barry Switzer or Tom Osborne today as a young version of themselves, they’d crush people with that offense. The 1997 Nebraska offense in 2021, would kill people.

Doesn’t matter. If NU could have that system, and get the players, it would be lethal to this day. Problem is getting the right talent today since there isn’t as much true option being run in high schools. If you could clone Barry Switzer or Tom Osborne today as a young version of themselves, they’d crush people with that offense. The 1997 Nebraska offense in 2021, would kill people.
You may be right. Unfortunately I don’t see this ever happening. I can’t argue about something that I can’t actually see. I loved option football. I enjoyed the fullback and Nebraska crushing people. Your point about what high schools are running is spot on.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back