• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Outside Perception of the Nebraska Job

2 years ago, I was at a wedding talking to a former MSU QB & later Saban reformed retread coach, Miami OC & I believe he’s now OC at MD. We were discussing His perception of NEB job. Even then while I complained to him about the lack of tangible progress of FHCSF back then, this guy was adamant that the worst thing NEB could do was fire Frost early… He said after firing of 10 win Pelini, coaches across the country looked at NEB job as career suicide due to the impatience of the administration which cow towed to an irrational Husker fan base. He Was adamant the only way to change this perception was to give Frost an extremely long leash.

I think TA did that by giving FHCSF another chance this year & now believe that if that thought process towards NEB was even slightly prevalent back then, it could potentially dissuade prospective coaches from looking at Wisky. But what do I know?

I agree with most of what you shared from the radio hosts. Yes, there's no better position for a coach to be in than with a Big Ten or SEC school moving forward, as there are no guarantees for the rest of FBS.

But I'm not so sure that if/when college football does develop into the Big Ten and SEC running the whole show that there will be 12 playoff spots for roughly 30 or so teams. The move toward 12 playoff spots was done based on the current landscape in FBS football. That could very well change if the playoff only includes the Big Ten and SEC and they become the conferences running the show and making the rules. I could see 8 playoff spots, however, which could equate to roughly a quarter of the teams. If it is a 12-team playoff, I'd bet that would only happen if the Big Ten and SEC expanded to about 40 teams.
The way I understand it, the top 4 teams get a first round bye. So it will essentially be an 8 team playoff as far as the Big Ten and SEC are concerned because they will usually have 3 of the top 4 teams: the Big Ten champ, SEC champ, and SEC #2 if it’s a one-loss team from the opposite division. Then ND or the best of the other conferences.

What I am not sure of is what conferences get the automatic bid? B1G, SEC, Big 12, PAC 12, ACC, and who? American? Or is it the top ranked power 5 conference champ? I suppose I could look that up.

Then there are six at-large berths, which will probably scoop of 4+ Big Ten/SEC teams.

If the Big Ten keeps divisions, and the Big Ten West winner has 3 losses, they’re not getting in the playoff. But a 1 or 2 loss West champ might still get in as the 10-12 seed. A one-loss second place finisher in the Big Ten East would also get in for sure, and a 2 loss one likely would, you might even have a 1-2 loss third place team from the B1G East get in.

Do we really know the NIL setups at each school enough to be able to rank and compare?

The schools I'm most familiar with NIL -- Texas and Texas A&M -- are far ahead of the bits and pieces of NIL news that's come out of Lincoln. But maybe those Texas universities are far ahead of everyone else -- not sure.

Regarding the Big Ten ... you can find this sort of thing from Wisconsin, for example:

There's a lot more detail at the link.

My point being, do we really know that Nebraska's NIL program is superior to Wisconsin's (or Iowa, or another Big Ten West school)? Or are we just guessing based on fan bias?

Here's some of Wisconsin's NIL deals, including Pepsi for Mertz and Allen: https://www.on3.com/nil/news/wiscon...aelon-allen-nil-deals-pepsi-college-football/

On3 does a great job of tracking NIL: https://www.on3.com/nil/deals/

Really hard to find NIL rankings by team but here is a real old one. Wisky is not even top ten but NU is 3rd.

State rankings based on laws.

C

Last edited:
You almost have to feel like Leonhard had a hand in this, right? Because if he didn't, why on earth would he want to work for a boss that would do something like this?
Just asking but would the Mickey/Trev situation compare? After all Mickey was one that went to Trev over some Frost stuff.

In the Navy I had to show grown ass adults where Nebraska was on the map. It made my brain hurt that they didn’t know where our state was.

If you are talking to people that live on the east coast and specifically the NE coast. A lot of them have no clue about anything in the mid west. To them there is east coast and west coast and Chicago is a fort in between.

I'm not joking when I say this. I went to a week long student government thing in DC when I was in HS. I met people from all over the country. There were people that thought I rode a horse to the airport and it is like Little House on the Prairie in Nebraska.

Listening to Wisconsin sports radio this is the feeling of most of the commentators and callers:

1) Leonard is the odds-on favorite to be next UW head coach.

2) He has to show, during his interim tenure, improvement in the program in the form of consistency. He doesn't have to win a lot of games but most feel there is two certifiable wins left on their schedule - Northwestern and Nebraska. If he were to go winless then he might not get the job.

3) Most feel Wisconsin in the better program ... higher floor, consistency in performance the last 20 years. Most think Nebraska is a complete tear-down and Wisconsin is a fine-tuning/tweaking endeavor.

4) Most feel Wisconsin's issues have been recruiting and a very bland offense. Assuming they do not have a huge exodus of players they have a decent foundation in the trenches.
Wisconsin fans think Wisconsin is a better program than Nebraska?

Wisconsin will not let Leonhard go, he is the guy, I don't care what anyone says. That administration saw his name pop up on potential HC jobs including ours and pulled the trigger on Chryst.
Disagree. He’s a different cat. Very family oriented. Passed up the GB Packers DC job because of the time commitment.

I suspect he’d have been comfortable being DC for several more years … and even if he did leave I’d also be very concerned he’d go running back to his alma mater home state they moment they called his name.

When I Lived in New Mexico and went to a conference in Utah, there were several people from California who told me I speak English very well...lol

Really hard to find NIL rankings by team but here is a real old one. Wisky is not even top ten but NU is 3rd.

State rankings based on laws.

C

Yeah, unfortunately, articles from 2021 are ancient in the NIL era. Thanks for digging around!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back