• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Outside Perception of the Nebraska Job

jpmandm

Long time listener, first time caller
10 Year Member
Piggy backing off Parnell’s new article, which covers this in detail, I wanted to share an outsiders view of the Nebraska job. Chris Childers and his cohost on Full Ride this morning on ESPNU radio ranked the current vacancies and said NU and Wiscy were “cherry” because they are in one of the two major conferences. Every job outside those two conferences, they said, is now much worse than a few months ago and none can hold a candle to NU or Wisconsin.

Basically, with the new playoff and media rights deals, the winners are the SEC, B1G, and “Group of Five” schools. The losers are the Big 12, ACC, and PAC 12. Thus, every team in the Big Ten and SEC now has a huge advantage in hiring coaches over every other school outside those conferences, which are now largely indistinguishable from one another. This gives Nebraska a huge advantage in its coaching search right now because most coaching jobs in the two major conferences are secure. On top of that, Nebraska’s biggest traditional disadvantage, lack of a recruiting base, has been largely mitigated by the transfer portal and NIL success.

We have, understandably, developed a bit of an inferiority complex over the last 20 years. But given the new game as it is today, we can be optimistic we will get a shot at any coach we want. It may not guarantee success, but thanks to getting in the Big Ten when we did, we can expect to get in the playoff any year we are 10-2 or better. We should be able to do that with the right coach, because we can get the players and have the money.

In a 4-team playoff, Nebraska had a real uphill struggle becoming elite again, but given its seat at the Big Boy Table, it has a much easier shot at a playoff especially is scheduling breaks its way. And any team with that kind of a shot (i.e., major football schools in the SEC and Big Ten) is going to be the preferred destination for players and coaches.

In essence, there are 25-35 programs that are willing to play the new big-time game and are vying for 12 playoff spots. That’s pretty good odds. We can feel good about the future.

Last edited:

Piggy backing off Parnell’s new article, which covers this in detail, I wanted to share an outsiders view of the Nebraska job. Chris Childers and his cohost on Full Ride this morning on ESPNU radio ranked the current vacancies and said NU and Wiscy were “cherry” because they are in one of the two major conferences. Every job outside those two conferences, they said, is now much worse than a few months ago and none can hold a candle to NU or Wisconsin.

Basically, with the new playoff and media rights deals, the winners are the SEC, B1G, and “Group of Five” schools. The losers are the Big 12, ACC, and PAC 12. Thus, every team in the Big Ten and SEC now has a huge advantage in hiring coaches over every other school outside those conferences, which are now largely indistinguishable from one another. This gives Nebraska a huge advantage in its coaching search right now because most coaching jobs in the two major conferences are secure. On top of that, Nebraska’s biggest traditional disadvantage, lack of a recruiting base, has been largely mitigated by the transfer portal and NIL success.

We have, understandably, developed a bit of an inferiority complex over the last 20 years. But given the new game as it is today, we can be optimistic we will get a shot at any coach we want. It may not guarantee success, but thanks to getting in the Big Ten when we did, we can expect to get in the playoff any year we are 10-2 or better. We should be able to do that with the right coach, because we can get the players and have the money.

In a 4-team playoff, Nebraska had a real uphill struggle becoming elite again, but given its seat at the Big Boy Table, it has a much easier shot at a playoff especially is scheduling breaks its way. And any team with that kind of a shot (i.e., major football schools in the SEC and Big Ten) is going to be the preferred destination for players and coaches.

In essence, there are 25-35 programs that are willing to play the new big-time game and are vying for 12 playoff spots. That’s pretty good odds. We can feel good about the future.
Very nice post! Agreed!

The SEC and B1G are the premier conferences, especially adding UCLA and USC. In addition, Wisconsin and Bigger Red have excellent fan bases. If I was looking for a job, both of those would be my first considerations. (That's a long way of saying, they're right.)

I agree with most of what you shared from the radio hosts. Yes, there's no better position for a coach to be in than with a Big Ten or SEC school moving forward, as there are no guarantees for the rest of FBS.

But I'm not so sure that if/when college football does develop into the Big Ten and SEC running the whole show that there will be 12 playoff spots for roughly 30 or so teams. The move toward 12 playoff spots was done based on the current landscape in FBS football. That could very well change if the playoff only includes the Big Ten and SEC and they become the conferences running the show and making the rules. I could see 8 playoff spots, however, which could equate to roughly a quarter of the teams. If it is a 12-team playoff, I'd bet that would only happen if the Big Ten and SEC expanded to about 40 teams.

Last edited:
I agree with most of what you shared from the radio hosts. Yes, there's no better position for a coach to be in than with a Big Ten or SEC school moving forward, as there are no guarantees for the rest of FBS.

But I'm not so sure that if/when college football does develop into the Big Ten and SEC running the whole show that there will be 12 playoff spots for roughly 30 or so teams. The move toward 12 playoff spots was done based on the current landscape in FBS football. That could very well change if the playoff only includes the Big Ten and SEC and they become the conferences running the show and making the rules. I could see 8 playoff spots, however, which could equate to roughly a quarter of the teams. If it is a 12-team playoff, I'd bet that would only happen if the Big Ten and SEC expanded to about 40 teams.
I wouldn’t make too much out of the B1G and SEC getting all of the playoff attention. There will be plenty of losses to go around within these two power conferences and a few undefeated and others with one loss in the other P5 conferences.

Within the Big, we are ahead of Wiscy, Iowa,others in NIL. This has impact on coaching as well.
In todays transfer portal coaches have to keep recruiting their team, how much harder is that going to be for teams with poor NIL setups?

CBS Sports did a ranking of the current job openings yesterday.
They listed Wisconsin #1 and Nebraska #2.
This was mostly based on Wiskey's success over the past 20 years.
Personally I think Nebraska is a better job because I think with the history, the financial commitment, the new facilities, NIL, etc. there is a higher ceiling at Nebraska (for the right coach).

Last edited:

14 of 32 make the NFL playoffs and they seem to be modeling their future after the league, at least to some degree, so perhaps it does stay at 12?

Within the Big, we are ahead of Wiscy, Iowa,others in NIL. This has impact on coaching as well.
In todays transfer portal coaches have to keep recruiting their team, how much harder is that going to be for teams with poor NIL setups?

Do we really know the NIL setups at each school enough to be able to rank and compare?

The schools I'm most familiar with NIL -- Texas and Texas A&M -- are far ahead of the bits and pieces of NIL news that's come out of Lincoln. But maybe those Texas universities are far ahead of everyone else -- not sure.

Regarding the Big Ten ... you can find this sort of thing from Wisconsin, for example:

"Wisconsin has built an award-winning NIL program that stands among the nation's best," said Opendorse CEO Blake Lawrence.

There's a lot more detail at the link.

My point being, do we really know that Nebraska's NIL program is superior to Wisconsin's (or Iowa, or another Big Ten West school)? Or are we just guessing based on fan bias?

Here's some of Wisconsin's NIL deals, including Pepsi for Mertz and Allen: https://www.on3.com/nil/news/wiscon...aelon-allen-nil-deals-pepsi-college-football/

On3 does a great job of tracking NIL: https://www.on3.com/nil/deals/

Personally I think Nebraska is a better job because I think with the history, the financial commitment, the new facilities, NIL, etc. there is a higher ceiling at Nebraska (for the right coach).

Listening to Wisconsin sports radio this is the feeling of most of the commentators and callers:

1) Leonard is the odds-on favorite to be next UW head coach.

2) He has to show, during his interim tenure, improvement in the program in the form of consistency. He doesn't have to win a lot of games but most feel there is two certifiable wins left on their schedule - Northwestern and Nebraska. If he were to go winless then he might not get the job.

3) Most feel Wisconsin in the better program ... higher floor, consistency in performance the last 20 years. Most think Nebraska is a complete tear-down and Wisconsin is a fine-tuning/tweaking endeavor.

4) Most feel Wisconsin's issues have been recruiting and a very bland offense. Assuming they do not have a huge exodus of players they have a decent foundation in the trenches.

Great summary, and post!

Wisconsin's HC job is not open, contrary to what the media think, unless Leonhard gets hit by a train next week.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back