• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

OT. Walter Rouse Is N (Transfer From Stanford) Update: Flips To OU

They're trying to get some players, yes... but it seems as though he's hesitant to get into bidding wars with other schools. Seems like he makes an offer, and if another school makes a counter-offer, he backs off. Not saying I'm right with that assumption, just the feel I'm getting.
Keep in mind, Rhule can't actually offer anybody anything except a scholarship. If students aren't feeling the NIL love, that's the fault of the people with the NIL money.

Strongly disagree. If the NCAA hadn't drawn such a hard line in the sand about paying players the players wouldn't have gone to the courts. The NCAA put all their chips in the "student athlete" defense while trying to draw attention away from how much money was being generated by college football. It was only a matter of time before the players wanted more. Whether you agree with paying players or not, this mess was inevitable due to the actions (or inaction) of the NCAA.
That would have just kicked the can down the road. Players were already getting stipends and cost of attendance. They would have always wanted more. Their inaction simply accelerated the eventual conclusion.

They're trying to get some players, yes... but it seems as though he's hesitant to get into bidding wars with other schools. Seems like he makes an offer, and if another school makes a counter-offer, he backs off. Not saying I'm right with that assumption, just the feel I'm getting.

I don’t think coaches are making cash offers to portal recruits.

Exactly. Fans would praise Rhule and the 1890 collective for not giving up and continuing to recruit him.
Its different when an adult agrees to terms with money involved and then renegotiates. Its slimy. The back and forth before a gentleman's agreement is one thing, but to agree on a price or deal, make the agreement public, then keep working the deal and saying god told him to do it is different. This is not a 17-18 year old changing his mind after a 5 month commitment, its a full grown adult saying we have a deal while he is still trying for better terms. I would not shake my real estate agents hand on a deal and keep calling other agents on other properties when I could only buy 1, it is not how you conduct yourself.

Its different when an adult agrees to terms with money involved and then renegotiates. Its slimy. The back and forth before a gentleman's agreement is one thing, but to agree on a price or deal, make the agreement public, then keep working the deal and saying god told him to do it is different. This is not a 17-18 year old changing his mind after a 5 month commitment, its a full grown adult saying we have a deal while he is still trying for better terms. I would not shake my real estate agents hand on a deal and keep calling other agents on other properties when I could only buy 1, it is not how you conduct yourself.

So you would have protested getting him had the situation been reversed?

You've gotta remember that these are young men, many from unwealthy backgrounds. Having great integrity and character plays second fiddle in many of these negotiations. We're not in a position right now like the Georgias and Bamas and Ohio States that get elite talent just because of who we are. NIL $ is what helps us to even the playing field somewhat. Gotta use it to our advantage.
I didn't come from a wealthy background, but in South Omaha, the culture was to keep your word. Again, he agreed to come here as was getting something from NIL. He's going to graduate from Stanford with a meaningful degree, so he's not going to starve. He reneged on his word, pure and simple. If you okay with that, God bless you.

So you would have protested getting him had the situation been reversed?
If that was the way it happened, yes. As previously stated, this is a 4 year college player and he would have gone to the NFL without the injury. This is not some confused and highly pressured 17 or 18 year old kid.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back