• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Orgeron's firing.......

Where do we keep coming up with this B1G championship caliber defense? Our defense just got shredded by Minnesota. They are ranked 43rd in the nation in total defense. Our offense is ranked 12th in the nation in total offense.
The defense is good... not great or elite. 21 points allowed to Illinois, 28 to Minnesota, 32 to Michigan were not great performances. They have been very good in the other games.

Ya know, I thought Riley was the worst hire of the post Osborne era but now Im not so sure.
Riley would be a bad hire anywhere. Even if Frost ends up not working out, I’d still have taken him in 2015 over Riley. There was no hope with Riley. At least with Frost, there was at least some upside potential there worth the gamble.

NU may not be a Top 10 job, but I think it is still a Top 25 job. That's based on conference, facilities/resources, tradition, competent administration (haven't always had this), fan support, etc.

Really no excuse for four straight losing seasons, especially with the division we play in. At this point, the expectations for a new coach would be to beat Minnesota and Illinois regularly and win a few vs. Iowa and Wisconsin. Not unreasonable.
Nebraska has everything you could ask for to succeed. If there were 15 million people in Nebraska, it would be a top 5 job. You won’t find more passionate fans, better support, anywhere.

NOTE: You must be willing to travel, a lot. This is the only drawback. This is why it’s probably falls to 20 or so.

In this case, he hasn't had any reported scandals/bad behavior. Simply, he is only 9-8, with "only" 2 wins over top 20 teams in that period, 2 years after he won the MNC.
Incorrect:
"Orgeron has a 49-17 record at the school, but the downturn didn't only come on the field. The football program has also been involved in several off-field problems involving sexual misconduct and Title IX issues, and Orgeron himself was named in at least one Title IX lawsuit."
The Athletic".

Didn't read the whole thread, but just responding to the OP: The issues with Frost's NU go way deeper simply than a change in culture or toughness. Yeah, no doubt the culture under Riley sucked and was likely still toxic from the Pelini exit. But even with the proper culture in place, Frost's play calling has been questionable since day one and it largely cost us the Minnesota game Saturday. Player recruiting and development are also sadly lacking in year 4.
Frost can flip the culture, but if he is going to continue to have a four-year starter at QB making high school mistakes, then we will never win consistently. If he is going to play Big Ten football yet go for it on 4th and short out of the gun, then we should plan on more failing. If he is going to continue to trot out a kicker that is arguably the worst we've ever had, then how can we ever expect to compete for titles? Most of the losses this year fall right in Frost's lap. He's been out-coached in nearly every loss. Play-calling, time management, lack of development, freshmen mistakes at nearly every level of the offense. It takes a special kind of poor coaching to totally dominate a game like MSU and still lose. I wanted him to succeed as much as anyone else here, but you have to trust your eyes. This is poorly coached football.

I don't buy into LSU can get away with it but we can't.

IMO just because we haven't, doesn't mean we don't have the resources, history and tradition of success to attract an equally attractive HC'ing hire as an LSU.

Unfortunately you just summarized the predicament precisely.
The inability to recruit is why, unless SF runs the table or at worst win 3 of remaining 4 games, it would be malpractice for Trev not to fire SF.

If SF is allowed to coach next season and has another losing season again which is almost assured given his history and then is fired, we will be looking at a bigger roster dumpster fire than frost even created after he took over with his arrogant attitude

The only safe move is to fire SF either now or at season's end. Yes we will have a bad recruiting class but that is already assured anyways. Yes we will have to cough up a god awful amount of money but not as much as fan apathy turning fan avoidance

With a current bottom feeder recruiting class and many seniors leaving after this year, it would seem this would be the most opportune time to pull the plug.

Didn't read the whole thread, but just responding to the OP: The issues with Frost's NU go way deeper simply than a change in culture or toughness. Yeah, no doubt the culture under Riley sucked and was likely still toxic from the Pelini exit. But even with the proper culture in place, Frost's play calling has been questionable since day one and it largely cost us the Minnesota game Saturday. Player recruiting and development are also sadly lacking in year 4.
Frost can flip the culture, but if he is going to continue to have a four-year starter at QB making high school mistakes, then we will never win consistently. If he is going to play Big Ten football yet go for it on 4th and short out of the gun, then we should plan on more failing. If he is going to continue to trot out a kicker that is arguably the worst we've ever had, then how can we ever expect to compete for titles? Most of the losses this year fall right in Frost's lap. He's been out-coached in nearly every loss. Play-calling, time management, lack of development, freshmen mistakes at nearly every level of the offense. It takes a special kind of poor coaching to totally dominate a game like MSU and still lose. I wanted him to succeed as much as anyone else here, but you have to trust your eyes. This is poorly coached football.
Well said. One caveat, this is a poorly coached team in two phases of the game: offense and special teams. The fish rots from the head and in our case it starts with SF which is why no amount of changes with assistant coaches resolves this. He has four years of losing under his belt and that is what a SF coached team is

With a current bottom feeder recruiting class and many seniors leaving after this year, it would seem this would be the most opportune time to pull the plug.
Maybe we will learn the next time that the flag football conference Riley and Frost came from will not cut it in the physical, no nonsense, and disciplined play you need to run to compete in the Big 10.

I’m not sure the average Anti Frost fan is demanding he be fired right now without evaluating the rest of the season. It could be argued that you aren’t at this point either as you seem to believe he needs to be retained. And that is fine. The Scott Frost period has certainly brought the opposite sides of a spectrum into light due to 4 years bad performance. I’d ask one thing of you. Consider taking your advice and measure both the good and the bad. You appear….just my opinion…..to be putting a lot of program improvement performance stock into 3 close losses to ranked teams.
LOL! The average anti-Frost fan was calling for Frost to be fired before the season started! Let’s be honest here. There has been a silent group of individuals who have wanted him gone for two years but couldn’t feel comfortable ”coming out” until the NCAA investigation was revealed. At that point the AF’s came out of the woodwork and have been prevalent throughout the season. I remember a cadre of folks demanding Frost be fired on Monday after the Illinois game. So let’s not pretend the AF’s are trying to be objective.

On the other issue, you seem critical that I am looking at the play on the field in EVERY game and crediting Frost and company with the obvious objective improvement that was evident in 5 out of 7 of them. You suggest that this is a false picture and that I should be looking at something else. Am I supposed to look at the two bad games and ignore the rest?

I could build a case against Frost if I desired to do so. But my agenda is not to try and build momentum for gutting the program. To the extent I have an agenda, it’s to be objective, understanding that the information I have as a fan is not sufficient to think I have all the answers. Roast may ultimately go down in flames, but I won’t be throwing gasoline at him on the way there. It’s counter productive to try and destroy your own coach.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back