• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Orgeron's firing.......

What a coincidence. I just responded to someone making that very case - that you are what your record says you are.

Yes, you are a losing team if you have more losses than wins. But that doesn’t define your team. This team defines itself by what they do tomorrow and the next day and the next.

As far as the mental error comment; you cannot rid the game of mental errors. It happens every game and always will. You define yourself by overcoming them.
I love your passion but this very posts tells me you are struggling to justify what you are thinking. You are stating we are a losing team because of our record. In an earlier post you said we are a much better mental and tend to suggest that is what defines this team. Now you also state the mental mistakes are part of the game but how you overcome them defines you. Well we don’t overcome them.

I’m just really worried about recruiting as long as this situation keeps going. How can a coach recruit on the hot seat, or with an ultimatum? It’s a very bad spot to be in.
He can’t. But if you believe Trev giving him an extension or making a definite announcement that he is back next year will help recruiting, it will most likely have little positive effect. The ONLY thing that will help recruiting is winning and earning his way off the hot seat. This is a very important statement……he earned himself onto the hot seat.

Probably true. That's bizarre to me. Scott Frost is set to make what at least $35M from Nebraska? His house in Lincoln can't be worth much more than $2M. So he could go back to Orlando and play golf the rest of his life if he wanted to. I don't see how upping that to $7M makes a difference but that's the market for head coaches.
He’s building a second house north of Ashland on the lake for more than 2mil.

He can’t. But if you believe Trev giving him an extension or making a definite announcement that he is back next year will help recruiting, it will most likely have little positive effect. The ONLY thing that will help recruiting is winning and earning his way off the hot seat. This is a very important statement……he earned himself onto the hot seat.
Then the choice is easy then. You can’t continue in limbo, one way or the other. By what you’ve said, NU would need to be 5-0 in 2022, before it could start assembling a class for 2023. That’s too late. He’s going to recruit all off season long not knowing if he’ll make it past 2022? Yeah, that’s not going to work. This is a big big problem.

Then the choice is easy then. You can’t continue in limbo, one way or the other. By what you’ve said, NU would need to be 5-0 in 2022, before it could start assembling a class for 2023. That’s too late. He’s going to recruit all off season long not knowing if he’ll make it past 2022? Yeah, that’s not going to work. This is a big big problem.
Unfortunately you just summarized the predicament precisely.

Unfortunately you just summarized the predicament precisely.
Man dude, this is a huge huge problem. How do you overcome it, if they decide to stay the course, and give him another year? How? The more I think about it, this is quite serious. You could conceivably go 2 straight years with crap recruiting. One you can probably get by with, but not 2. I’m very concerned with this.

Last edited:
I love your passion but this very posts tells me you are struggling to justify what you are thinking. You are stating we are a losing team because of our record. In an earlier post you said we are a much better mental and tend to suggest that is what defines this team. Now you also state the mental mistakes are part of the game but how you overcome them defines you. Well we don’t overcome them.
I’m not struggling at all to explain my position. You may be struggling to understand. It’s very simple to me. I reject the notion that Frost “deserves” to be fired because, after 4 years he hasn’t had a winning record. (I’m taking a leap of faith that he won’t have a winning record this year.). That way of thinking is toxic because is suggests the decision to be made is whether to punish Frost. I think the decision to be made is whether the program is trending in the right direction. Some people on this board simply lack the ability to understand the difference. I could care less if Frost failed the last four years in the win loss column if it looks like the program is headed in the right direction. Win/loss is one factor of course. But it is not the only factor if your goal is to fix the program and not just to punish the coach.

Before the season, I felt Frost could not likely get it done here. But I don‘t have enough inside information to know if my perceptions were accurate. After the Illinois game, my fears seemed confirmed. But then something unexpected happened. We had a run of games where Frost put a product on the field that showed substantial progress. We destroyed teams we should destroy and took top tier teams to the wire in such a way that showed we could win at that level. Then Minnesota came along and all of that progress comes into question. Now I‘m going to wait and see what happens in the Purdue game and the remainder of the season to estimate where I believe the program is.

You see, when you don’t have a pro-Frost or anti-Frost agenda, you look at the good and the bad. There is some of each to digest. But the anti-Frost guys, just like the anti-Bo guys before you, are seemingly incapable of objectively examine the program. They cant admit when something is trending positive because the agenda is to get rid of Frost rather than turn the program around. They have made up their minds on Frost, so they simply can’t tolerate the idea that Frost COULD still turn things around. They think the formula for success is simple. Make one magic hire and everything turns to gold. I can’t do that because I’m simply not as wise as the anti-Frost guys. I don’t have the years of coaching that they must have to make the call from 30,000 feet. I’m going to assume that Frost has the capability to turn it around as long as he is here.

This year has shown objectively observable positive trends followed by the pile of crap we left on the field in MN. Stay tuned for additional data. I for one will hope the solid team shows up for the games to end the season and not the team that showed up in IL and MN.

In other words, it is possible to see both good and bad at the same time and be both encouraged and discouraged by what you see. I’m simply not as wise as the anti-Frost people to make a 50 plus million dollar change based on my feelings after a loss.

Last edited:

I’m not struggling at all to explain my position. You may be struggling to understand. It’s very simple to me. I reject the notion that Frost “deserves” to be fired because, after 4 years he hasn’t had a winning record. (I’m taking a leap of faith that he won’t have a winning record this year.). That way of thinking is toxic because is suggests the decision to be made is whether to punish Frost. I think the decision to be made is whether the program is trending in the right direction. Some people on this board simply lack the ability to understand the difference. I could care less if Frost failed the last four years in the win loss column if it looks like the program is headed in the right direction. Win/loss is one factor of course. But it is not the only factor if your goal is to fix the program and not just to punish the coach.

Before the season, I felt Frost could not likely get it done here. But I don‘t have enough inside information to know if my perceptions were accurate. After the Illinois game, my fears seemed confirmed. But then something unexpected happened. We had a run of games where Frost put a product on the field that showed substantial progress. We destroyed teams we should destroy and took top tier teams to the wire in such a way that showed we could win at that level. Then Minnesota came along and all of that progress comes into question. Now I‘m going to wait and see what happens in the Purdue game and the remainder of the season to estimate where I believe the program is.

You see, when you don’t have a pro-Frost or anti-Frost agenda, you look at the good and the bad. There is some of each to digest. But the anti-Frost guys, just like the anti-Bo guys before you, are seemingly incapable of objectively examine the program. They cant admit when something is trending positive because the agenda is to get rid of Frost rather than turn the program around. They have made up their minds on Frost, so they simply can’t tolerate the idea that Frost COULD still turn things around. They think the formula for success is simple. Make one magic hire and everything turns to gold. I can’t do that because I’m simply not as wise as the anti-Frost guys. I don’t have the years of coaching that they must have to make the call from 30,000 feet. I’m going to assume that Frost has the capability to turn it around as long as he is here.

This year has shown objectively observable positive trends followed by the pile of crap we left on the field in MN. Stay tuned for additional data. I for one will hope the solid team shows up for the games to end the season and not the team that showed up in IL and MN.

In other words, it is possible to see both good and bad at the same time and be both encouraged and discouraged by what you see. I’m simply not as wise as the anti-Frost people to make a 50 plus million dollar change based on my feelings after a loss.
I’m not sure the average Anti Frost fan is demanding he be fired right now without evaluating the rest of the season. It could be argued that you aren’t at this point either as you seem to believe he needs to be retained. And that is fine. The Scott Frost period has certainly brought the opposite sides of a spectrum into light due to 4 years bad performance. I’d ask one thing of you. Consider taking your advice and measure both the good and the bad. You appear….just my opinion…..to be putting a lot of program improvement performance stock into 3 close losses to ranked teams.

Man dude, this is a huge huge problem. How do you overcome it, if they decide to stay the course, and give home another year? How? The more I think about it, this is quite serious. You could conceivably go 2 straight years with crap recruiting. One you can probably get by with, but not 2. I’m very concerned with this.
That's why if you believe he is going to turn this ship you rip the band aid off now. This worrying about an additional buyout year and talk of patience is just delaying the inevitable IF Trev has serious doubts and concerns with Scott Frost. As I said earlier, we can afford to take a hit with this class, it's small, it's not highly rated, and you may salvage more than typical. Get a staff that creates some enthusiasm and excitement you might even surprise. Lose two recruiting classes in a row and we seriously handcuff this or the next staff. Problem is you are now already competing with USC and LSU which will have obvious benefits over Nebraska.

The bridge is burned to the ground.

Bo had a fair amount of success here coming off the Callahan lows. The next HC here won't be Bo, but we can absolutely find someone of that caliber.

Disagree.
-We are a desirable program
-We are in a very desirable Conference which is critical with conference realignment coming all too soon. HCs will want to be coaching amongst the "haves" who can be playing for bowls and National Championships which includes members of the Big Ten.
-We have tremendous physical resources, especially with the new facility being built.
-We have very, very good young athletes on campus: enough that a new staff knows they have a very good chance to win right now, with a few additions through the Transfer Portal: QB, Rush end, one or two experienced o-lineman.

Solich and Pelini won here. It can happen again.
NU may not be a Top 10 job, but I think it is still a Top 25 job. That's based on conference, facilities/resources, tradition, competent administration (haven't always had this), fan support, etc.

Really no excuse for four straight losing seasons, especially with the division we play in. At this point, the expectations for a new coach would be to beat Minnesota and Illinois regularly and win a few vs. Iowa and Wisconsin. Not unreasonable.

I keep hearing "You all need to hire Luke Fickell." All I say is "you need to change whatever you are smoking cause it ain't happening."
You can let those people know that Fickel has his choice of jobs- and I doubt Nebraska is on his list. (And I'm not saying he is a guy who should have hi choice of jobs, but it is what it is).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back