• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ok, So who goes ?

So we are going to transition to a new coach and he is going to find an uncommitted dual threat quarterback good enough to start next year as a true freshman? Not a lot of uncommitted guys out there. Sounds like a pretty tall order for Frosty.

Has nothing to do with Riley. I don't see any of them being the style of
QB Frost would want. All three transferring out in fact might be unlikely, especially if Frost wants to give one shot. But on paper Frost wants something different than these guys are strong at.

And I think Frost would be foolish to stick with one of these guys instead of bringing in a transfer or Juco or even a Frosh of his own.
Provided Frost is offered the job or takes it. WSU is going to be looking for a stiff statuesk QB because Falk is graduating. Gibbea could be the next great one, time will tell.

So we are going to transition to a new coach and he is going to find an uncommitted dual threat quarterback good enough to start next year as a true freshman? Not a lot of uncommitted guys out there. Sounds like a pretty tall order for Frosty.

We might not have the best QB right away. It sure seems like a lot of posters are so concerned with not having the right QB as a reason not to go after the right coach. I don't recall so much concern firing the last guy because his QB's might not fit and he was at least winning 9+ a year.

Maybe easier to get Hawaiian kids to go to tropical Florida than NE
There's probably reasons he is there. I guess my counter would be why can Wazzu get them? Oregon? I get there is proximity on the west coast. But why is he willing to take a 12 hour flight to Orlando or whatever it is and not to Nebraska? Did Frost have that much better of a relationship? Why is Wisky's starting NG Polynesian? I just can't believe we weren't able to bring a single one in the first 3 years of a recruiting class with the relationships I thought were built.

Last edited:
We might not have the best QB right away. It sure seems like a lot of posters are so concerned with not having the right QB as a reason not to go after the right coach. I don't recall so much concern firing the last guy because his QB's might not fit and he was at least winning 9+ a year.

The issue is Riley came in and this board had a large amount of posters saying he didn't have a clue on how to use TA correctly and never figured it out. So two years round peg into square hole at QB position and Riley was often hit hard on that. I am just spitballing here and that is will SF (if he would end up here) be given a pass on that because he does have three pocket passers.

Agreed. I think we should go after the best possible coach if that is the direction chosen. That said, flip flopping between pro style coaches and coaches who like a running QB hasn't treated us well.

I do find the debate about how long a new guy should get to install his system pretty interesting. I have a sneaky suspicion that Eichorst made that very promise to Riley, which would explain his process--which has been long term--change culture, change system, build for the future. Not a lot of JUCO's, etc. Husker fans just aren't that patient, not that any fan base with a history like ours should be patient.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jace-Ruder-93569

if you're looking for a candidate i have one. Ruder is a STUD. 250 miles away from Lincoln. I'm biased because Jace is from my small hometown (proud Norton Bluejay here). I have been living in a consistent state of shock that NU has not been fawning all over this talented kid in their BACK YARD - seriously Norton is like 12 miles from the Nebraska Border. they're closer than Goodland, KS (where Brook Berringer came from) 4.46 40-time and built thick (his dad is a giant of a man as well). regardless of who is coaching at NU i wish that they would put on a full-court press for this Kid. but - to me - he seems like a dream fit for SF's offensive style.

i would love to know what @N2FL thinks of Jace Ruder

Yeah...odd. You hire the coach you want. The QB situation will have to work itself out. POB and/or Gebbia can do just fine under Frost. They may not be the prototype he seeks but they aren't Ryker Fyfe.

It seems as though the SF crowd are all in on him, and for all I know he may be the next great coach.

It is also my understanding that SF is set in his ways of the offense he wants to run, as the stats show UCF's second leading rusher is their QB. We currently have three QBs that don't really want to run 10-15 times a game. Let's say SF is hired , do we say goodbye to all 3 ? TL will never run that offense, POB might, Gebbia is a gunslinger who would not want to run that offense. Who gives ? SF retools his playbook ? We have 3 QBs transfer and we play a JC transfer dual threat ? 2 transfer ? Or SF recruits his guy right away and plays as a freshman.
Obviously, the QB position is extremely important. However, in my humbler opinion, we have more pressing issues than the QB, starting with the line play.

It would seem possible that today's recruits might be as familiar or more so with the coach of an undefeated, top 20 program as they are with the coach at a sub-500 former elite program.
Oh yeah? Did the Boise States, Hawaii's and Western Michigan's of the world have recruits knocking down their door after their top 20 seasons?

Yeah...odd. You hire the coach you want. The QB situation will have to work itself out. POB and/or Gebbia can do just fine under Frost. They may not be the prototype he seeks but they aren't Ryker Fyfe.

Would you say TA did "just fine" under Riley ?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back