• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Obviuosly NU is our favorite, but who is your #2??

when I was young: LSU - Chinese Bandits/Dietzel/Billy Cannon etc.

A couple of tidbits regarding your LSU comments. Coach Stovall who played for Dietzel and McLendon brought back the Chinese Bandits name in 1980. The band played the stereotypical "Chinese" riff when the defense hit the field. It didn't last past 1982 and would have NEVER happened today. We thought it was so cool to bring it back, I think back on it now and cringe about how bad it really was.

I played against Billy Cannon jr in high school and he was a man among boys. He replicated his dad's famous Halloween night 89 yard punt return 20 years to the day which was really cool; went 89 yards for a td vs Istrouma which is where his dad went to high school.

No one specifically, often pull for the underdog. Also, whoever our conf/division rivals are playing (or if each other, generally the underdog). In bowl games, I tend to pull for our conference, some more than others. That said, there's a long list of teams I never pull for (Tejas, ND, Tejas, Miami, Meechicken, Tejas,...)

If pressed on a second favorite, truly hard to choose one... always root for the service academies, often find myself having rooted for nearby underdogs long enough (decades) that I like them (CSU, ISU) but wouldn't say I follow them.

& of course, whoever I've bet on.

I will also offer, that since departing the B12 - my longtime respect for OU has evidently turned into an association - again, not actively rooting, but find that I enjoy when they do well & am left thinking, what's wrong with me? - may need to seek help for that. :O O::Biggrin:

Last edited:

My second favorites are two schools I attended -- NAVY and South Dakota U.

A couple of tidbits regarding your LSU comments. Coach Stovall who played for Dietzel and McLendon brought back the Chinese Bandits name in 1980. The band played the stereotypical "Chinese" riff when the defense hit the field. It didn't last past 1982 and would have NEVER happened today. We thought it was so cool to bring it back, I think back on it now and cringe about how bad it really was.

I played against Billy Cannon jr in high school and he was a man among boys. He replicated his dad's famous Halloween night 89 yard punt return 20 years to the day which was really cool; went 89 yards for a td vs Istrouma which is where his dad went to high school.

I was just a kid at the time of Cannon, etc. We left La. about the time Stovall became 'the man'...hell of a player. LaGrange HS ( Lake Charles) was kicking arse and taking names back then. Some of the best years of my childhood were at Chennault AFB in Lake Charles. Story after story over some single malt scotch perhaps one day. Props for your football career in Louisiana. That's real football. Where it all began for me in 5TH GRADE...( Thanks for the Stovall and Cannon, Jr. references - I honestly had lost track...)

A number of others have mentioned LSU and I’m going to pile on with them. I’m a big fan of Cajun culture anyway; I know a handful of folks from down there and anyone who give Alabama a toss now and again is alright in my book.

1. Nebraska above all others
2. BIG West teams
3. BIG East teams
(Had a friend who taught me to pull for the teams in your group. That way when you beat them, it makes you look better)
4. Big 8 teams (my friend was talking about the Big 8 when he taught me that bit of wisdom)
(never did care too much for the other Big 12 teams)
5. Ohio (till Frankie leaves)
6. FSU (leftover from the Bobby Bowden days. Always thought Bobby was one of the good guys.)
7. LSU (leftover from the Bo days)
8. One of the coaches I have liked is Mack Brown (was sorry he worked for such a disreputable institution) Glad he is at UNC.

I should add that my first grad program doesn't have a football team or else I'd support them as well. CU mountain lions lol

im a UCLA season tix holder, not cause i was a big fan, but living so far away from Mecca, i needed a football fix. The tailgating there is unparalleled, a big chunck of it is on a large golf course, so lots of folks, lots of shade, nice weather, that part is ideal, and i have quite a few friends who like to go.

I used to attend quite a few UCLA games when I lived in Palm Springs roughly 20 years ago. Yes, the tailgating is spectacular. But man, inside the Rose Bowl, it felt more like a tea party.

Nebraska is the only college team I openly root for. Or even quietly root for. ;)

Philadelphia Eagles are my second team. They -- and Nebraska -- are the only football teams capable of tugging on my emotions.

I have softened on a couple teams I once hated. Texas and Penn State. Probably because I've lived in Pennsylvania and had a working relationship with the Penn State meteorology program. And with Texas, well, I live in downtown Austin and not far from the campus. I know quite a few Longhorns, and they are all good people. It's hard for me to hate a team when I only know good people associated. Besides the fact, they really don't have any ill feelings toward Nebraska. It has always been OU 1 and A&M 2. Though A&M may have been 1b before leaving for the SEC. UT generally hates OU, and I respect that quite a bit. That's the only time I find myself rooting for Texas -- is when they play Oklahoma. Otherwise, I'm impartial.

Hate: Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, any team from Florida.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back