• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New D-Line coach

Hire someone who has top recruits already on the line.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him pull from Florida. As you say, someone with ties to the area high schools who has relationships with the coaches and kids. He would also have to have to be a proven teacher.

I believe Frost will have some nice options, especially with Moos writing the checks.

Larry Brown, now at OSU?
Is that where he is now? He was a hell of a basketball coach. :0)

Do you mean Larry Johnson? I'm thinking more of a young, up and comer. Johnson's about ready to retire Probably not a good time to move.

Ask Mike Reilly.

Frost has this handled. He’s currently out scouting the golf courses for a pro teacher and mentor. ;)

A few thoughts:

1. I can't see him pulling in someone to coach DL who doesn't have technical teaching experience (we aren't at a point where we need to experiment and take a chance.. .doesn't mean they can't be young, but I don't think someone who hasn't done a good bit of DL coaching already).. as someone else said, Moos has a big checkbook
2. I can't see him getting someone who isn't connected to his coaching tree in some way. I think all of his staff is connected in some way
3. I think we look for someone young who can be here and provide stability on D with Chin.
4. Someone who has some relationships in a good recruiting area will also be a likely target

Technical DL coaching experience for 3-4
Connected to Frost
Young and up and coming guy (Chin's input likely important)
Recruiting connections

addendum, this name fits a few of the criteria -- Ron Aiken. Think he crossed paths with Frost in Oregon, has B10 experience, isn't young, but definitely knows the technical side.

Last edited:

There are a lot of world class assistant coaches who either never wanted to be a head coach or else figured out that they preferred being an assistant instead. Especially for either coordinator position, it makes a lot of sense to be okay with getting to call the shots without having to deal with the B.S. that a head coach does. For position coaches, you find a lot of quality old salts who love coaching linemen on either side of the ball who are content doing that, and they're worth their weight in gold.

Rick Trickett's book on coaching O-line is one of the better ones that I've ever read. He clearly knew his stuff.

I agree. See what I wrote above.
Please see my follow up post for clarification. My overall point was I dont want a "content" staff. Being content could breed laziness, or prevent you from going the extra mile. That was my only point. I probably wouldn't even have responded if not for that word. Personally, I despise that word in relation to a profession. I know some people are fine doing the same thing for 30 years, not growing in their role, and receiving their 3% raise each year. I am not one of those people. Lol.

Please see my follow up post for clarification. My overall point was I dont want a "content" staff. Being content could breed laziness, or prevent you from going the extra mile. That was my only point. I probably wouldn't even have responded if not for that word. Personally, I despise that word in relation to a profession. I know some people are fine doing the same thing for 30 years, not growing in their role, and receiving their 3% raise each year. I am not one of those people. Lol.

I think we are all on the same page, while 'content' wasn't a great word, again that is why it was in quotes, maybe I should have said 'Happy';). With all the clinics, camps, seminars coaches can go to, they can still grow in their profession without moving up the tree. Again, I will reference Coach Trickett from Florida State. Eleven years at FSU, the prior 7 at West Virginia, I don't think he would ever be considered lazy. I would assume that we all can agree a revolving door at one particular position is not good for the kids or the team, just need to find the right guy and all will be well.

Talking heads on ESPN 1480 this morning (Chris Schmidt, Gary Sharp, Jay Moore) were speculating on Craig Kuligowski, a casualty of Sabin's staff overhaul announced at Alabama yesterday. Coached Dline at Bama, and before that 2 years at Miami, and many years with Gary Pinkel at Missouri, where he coached numerous draft picks. Ohio native; played and coached at Toledo.

Last edited:

Talking heads on ESPN 1480 this morning (Chris Schmidt, Gary Sharp, Jay Moore) were speculating on Craig Kuligowski, a casualty of Sabin's staff overhaul announced at Alabama yesterday. Coached Dline at Bama, and before that 2 years at Miami, and many years with Gary Pinkel at Missouri, where he coached numerous draft picks. Ohio native; played and coached at Toledo.
OHio native, good connections and coached in the SEC, good connections. Not that it matters what I think but sounds good if that is the direction they go.

I'm not much of a social media guy & this is a couple days old -- list includes some names raised on these boards:

- Kenechi Udeze - Craig Kuligowski - Jerry Montgomery - Angus McClure

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back