• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New D-Line coach

Scott felt strongly about keeping his staff intact, and he offered them the opportunity to join him IF THEY CHOSE TO. There were some who hesitated, but decided to stay with him. Dawson was in the NFL previously, and obviously was well respected. Had he decided not to join the rest of the staff, we may very well have Parella, but honoring his commitment to the group, we had a very good coach who has taken an opportunity in the professional ranks.

I don't dispute any of that. I know exactly how it went down, thanks for the history lesson.

C

I'm surprised you ask this question as Frost's trait of loyalty to his staff has been well documented as well as his knowledge of T.O.'s similar loyalty to his own staff when Frost was here as a player. That loyalty and continuity is what helped NU win championships. Frost wasn't going to leave Dawson out of his winning staff just because Parrella was a former Husker. Frost had never even worked with Parrella. Why would he make that move?
Frost had zero idea that Dawson would be offered a gig in the NFL, which by the way, only highlights that bringing Dawson was a smart move as he is apparently a great coach that was wanted at the next level.

I am very well aware of his loyalty, and I am very aware of what helped NU and TO finally win championships. I wish this entire staff had the same loyalty, I don't fault Dawson at all though. I also would not be surprised if another assistant leaves next year, it is part of college football. Just a feeling I have and that is okay.

C

not everyone wants to be the head coach. some happy as position coaches, some oc or dc's. most everyone likes succeeding. most people like more money (and of course faster horses, younger women, ect.)

not everyone wants to be the head coach. some happy as position coaches, some oc or dc's. most everyone likes succeeding. most people like more money (and of course faster horses, younger women, ect.)

In hindsight, that’s an easier decision.

You were critical of him hiring Ruud, however, and, in hindsight, it’s easy to see that was a great decision by Frost.

None are here are perfect in their prognostications and opinions of staff and players.

C

Larry Brown, now at OSU?
Do you mean Larry Johnson at OSU, formerly of Penn State? If so, I talked about him earlier as my unrealistic wish for a hire. All N pointed out that he makes $750,000 and has been promoted to Assistant Head Coach, so he's unlikely to take a pay cut and a demotion to come to UNL. I didn't think that he would anyway, but he'd be my dream pick for that opening.

If you have an opportunity for a significant pay raise as well as an increase in responsibility in your profession, are you not going to take it? In my eyes, if we have coaches that are "content" here and not wanting to continue to move up the ladder, then I'm concerned that we may not have the best coaches available. I want motivated coaches who want to be great and who want to continue to grow, whether that's here or somewhere else. In most cases they will be the hardest workers. Of course I want them to stay for the sake of continuity, but in today's world, I don't think that's realistic when you're dealing with top talent.
There are a lot of world class assistant coaches who either never wanted to be a head coach or else figured out that they preferred being an assistant instead. Especially for either coordinator position, it makes a lot of sense to be okay with getting to call the shots without having to deal with the B.S. that a head coach does. For position coaches, you find a lot of quality old salts who love coaching linemen on either side of the ball who are content doing that, and they're worth their weight in gold.
Your guess is a good as mine.

There was a reason I put 'content' in these little thingys ' ', I didn't want it to seem like content was a bad word. I will use FSU offensive line coach Rick Trickett as an example, he was at FSU for about 11 years, I think he new what he was capable of and maybe even what he liked to do and was 'content' making good money coaching the O line, didn't mean he was not the best coach, he found his niche. Again I don't blame coaches for moving onward and upward, they need to do what is best for them but you can be happy being a position coach at one place for a number of years and be a good coach. Sometimes the grass is greener moving on, sometimes, the grass is just fine where you are, to each their own.
Rick Trickett's book on coaching O-line is one of the better ones that I've ever read. He clearly knew his stuff.
You don't have to want to move up to continue to grow. I always wanted a mix of people on my staff; those that loved their job and wanted nothing more, and those that wanted my job. The ones that loved their job still grew and got better, they just didnt want to be managers.
I agree. See what I wrote above.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back