• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New D-Line coach

Swinney seems to be doing a good job of hanging on to assistants at Clemson. Osborne used to turn down pay raises in order to give more to his assistants. I've heard that Dabo has done the same. It's hard to hang on to good assistants, especially if they're ambitious for promotion, but on the bright side, people quit bad bosses and are reluctant to leave good ones. Frost appears to be the sort of boss that people want to work for. It had to be incredibly difficult for Fischer and Beckton to leave their alma mater as it was reaching its pinnacle, yet they came with Frost to Nebraska. That was incredibly impressive. I can't remember seeing that happen before.

As for the necessity of having ties to Nebraska, I'm not buying it. Devaney didn't. Melton didn't. McBride didn't. Ron Brown didn't. George Darlington didn't. Bo Pelini didn't. It certainly helps, but I'd rather have a great coach with character who can recruit than requiring a Nebraska connection.

Can't argue, but, if we can have a great coach with character who can recruit and have a husker connection, isn't that like the cherry on top of a sundae (provided you like cherries on top of sundae's)? I think we are on the same page, get the best coach here no matter if there are connections or not.:thumbsup:

So going undefeated requires a person to retain their entire staff? Is there not a gray area here? Dawson is gone after one year and some players will be on their third DL coach. Many people felt SF should have kept JP from the previous staff and voiced that on here after he was hired.

C

In hindsight, that’s an easier decision.

You were critical of him hiring Ruud, however, and, in hindsight, it’s easy to see that was a great decision by Frost.

I get it, each coach has to make a decision based on what is best for themselves and their family, I would never judge/condemn them for their decisions, my HOPE is that we can find a staff that, for lack of a better word is 'content' with staying at Nebraska for multiple years, mainly for the benefit of the kids they coach and the program. Selfish on my part as well, I guess I see a coach with some type of ties being more 'content' than someone without.

I believe Scott will make the best hire he can, no matter what. Looking forward to next year.
If you have an opportunity for a significant pay raise as well as an increase in responsibility in your profession, are you not going to take it? In my eyes, if we have coaches that are "content" here and not wanting to continue to move up the ladder, then I'm concerned that we may not have the best coaches available. I want motivated coaches who want to be great and who want to continue to grow, whether that's here or somewhere else. In most cases they will be the hardest workers. Of course I want them to stay for the sake of continuity, but in today's world, I don't think that's realistic when you're dealing with top talent.

Just wondering who that would be. At least for a DL coach.
Your guess is a good as mine.

If you have an opportunity for a significant pay raise as well as an increase in responsibility in your profession, are you not going to take it? In my eyes, if we have coaches that are "content" here and not wanting to continue to move up the ladder, then I'm concerned that we may not have the best coaches available. I want motivated coaches who want to be great and who want to continue to grow, whether that's here or somewhere else. In most cases they will be the hardest workers. Of course I want them to stay for the sake of continuity, but in today's world, I don't think that's realistic when you're dealing with top talent.

There was a reason I put 'content' in these little thingys ' ', I didn't want it to seem like content was a bad word. I will use FSU offensive line coach Rick Trickett as an example, he was at FSU for about 11 years, I think he new what he was capable of and maybe even what he liked to do and was 'content' making good money coaching the O line, didn't mean he was not the best coach, he found his niche. Again I don't blame coaches for moving onward and upward, they need to do what is best for them but you can be happy being a position coach at one place for a number of years and be a good coach. Sometimes the grass is greener moving on, sometimes, the grass is just fine where you are, to each their own.

You don't have to want to move up to continue to grow. I always wanted a mix of people on my staff; those that loved their job and wanted nothing more, and those that wanted my job. The ones that loved their job still grew and got better, they just didnt want to be managers.

Your guess is a good as mine.

There was a reason I put 'content' in these little thingys ' ', I didn't want it to seem like content was a bad word. I will use FSU offensive line coach Rick Trickett as an example, he was at FSU for about 11 years, I think he new what he was capable of and maybe even what he liked to do and was 'content' making good money coaching the O line, didn't mean he was not the best coach, he found his niche. Again I don't blame coaches for moving onward and upward, they need to do what is best for them but you can be happy being a position coach at one place for a number of years and be a good coach. Sometimes the grass is greener moving on, sometimes, the grass is just fine where you are, to each their own.
It won't really matter now but Jason Ankrah just got a job as head coach a local Nebraska high school so he may be worth watching in the future.

You don't have to want to move up to continue to grow. I always wanted a mix of people on my staff; those that loved their job and wanted nothing more, and those that wanted my job. The ones that loved their job still grew and got better, they just didnt want to be managers.
Apparently I misinterpreted Jon's use of the word content. I agree, it's good to have a mix of employees. But as a head coach, I want a healthy number of assistants who want to take my job. And as head coach it is my job to prepare them to do so...and if not here somewhere else.

It is very difficult in this day and age to maintain continuity within a coaching staff for a long period of time. And the more successful you are, the more turnover you will experience. And as fans we have to accept that. There is simply too much money being thrown around by these schools looking for the next great young coach.

Hire some old fart! Young guys when they start having success get scooped up by someone. Old guy more apt to stay

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back