• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New assistant coaches.

Hville

Blackshirt
5 Year Member
Thought of this while reading another thread. Maybe we can keep this a little more on topic. My concern with the belief of keeping SF and forcing him to change out some assistants is the effectiveness of it.

There have already been many posts on whether we would get quality assistants to come to the titanic so that one has been beat to death. My question is how welcome would Scott be to the change they would try and bring. First off they’d have to learn Scott’s offense, abide by his practice schedule and his coaching style. It would be a one year learning process there alone. Does anyone really believe changing out some assistants will make this team look like they should in the 5th year?

You have too see that this team is not that far off. It seems to me it makes more sense to just replace one thing that could make all the difference rather than to start all over with a complete new coaching staff.

You have too see that this team is not that far off. It seems to me it makes more sense to just replace one thing that could make all the difference rather than to start all over with a complete new coaching staff.
One thing? Which " one thing" ? IMO there is much more than one thing that needs to be changed for this team to reach " not that far off". You know, little things like discipline. Will a new asst coach or two change that?

One thing? Which " one thing" ? IMO there is much more than one thing that needs to be changed for this team to reach " not that far off". You know, little things like discipline. Will a new asst coach or two change that?
Change at OL has been well discussed here.

I’d say he’d have to look at some other teams running what he’s running for assistants. As the OP pointed out, there would be a learning curve. From that point, you’d need to look at guys very familiar with what NU is doing. Really need a big time OL coach.

It's a unique situation.

Frost would have been canned at any other school based on his record. But the whole native son thing plus the fact that the team seems to pass the eyeball test will likely earn him another season. If we make a bowl, he's kept around for another season for sure.

I also think that in the Double Secret Hush-Hush conversations between Alberts and Frost is where Frost can buy himself some more runway by promising an assistant coaching turnover. If he plays his cards right, he's pretty much guaranteed another year, so long as we don't lose out with ugly blowouts the rest of the year.

The real question is Frost's loyalty to his coaches, his recruits and his system.

Defense is looking great. As far as I'm concerned, keep Chinander around until the cows come home. He's got the Blackshirts looking like an elite unit, despite us having graduated a bunch of talent in recent years. We have a bunch of 2-3 star athletes that are playing like 5-star recruits, which tells me that player development on the defensive side of the ball is in good shape. We can look at new wrinkles or plays, but the overall system is working.

Offense is a tale of two cities. If we get another Adrian Martinez, we can continue to have big production and yardage gains. We also seem to be building a good OL pipeline and attracting under-the-radar WR and TE talent. From my perspective, though, the QB and RB rooms aren't anything elite. We have capable and serviceable players at both positions, but I don't see a lot of elite talent - yet. We have a LOT of potential in the RB room, but less on the QB side. I think Smothers can be the guy, but I'm not convinced that Frost+Coach V is the right combo to get him there. Martinez has alternatively looked like a hero and a goat, depending on the game. When we're pinning our hopes on Martinez to be clutch and not choke the game away, it tells me that the rest of the offense hasn't been developed enough. We either need much more talent in the ball carrier department (allowing a "game manager" QB) or we need a really elite QB who can distribute the ball effectively. While I enjoy the history of rushing QBs at Nebraska, my gut says that we have a deep enough RB room to allow us to grab a more traditional pocket passer.

Special Teams is a hot mess. We need an experienced SPT coach, ASAP. There's nothing really more to say here. Botched kicks, punts, returns, blocking, everything. We look more like Special Ed. than Special Teams.

If I'm Frost and I get another year, I look at hiring a SPT Coordinator and rejiggering the offensive coaches. Lawson is technically the Outside LB and SPT Coordinator, while Barrett Ruud is only the Inside LB coach. I'm looking to streamline that and put one coach over all LBs and one coach over SPT. Not sure Coach V is getting the job done with Martinez, so I look at hiring another QB coach and maybe rearranging the fact that Austin is both OL and Run Game Coordinator.

Thought of this while reading another thread. Maybe we can keep this a little more on topic. My concern with the belief of keeping SF and forcing him to change out some assistants is the effectiveness of it.

There have already been many posts on whether we would get quality assistants to come to the titanic so that one has been beat to death. My question is how welcome would Scott be to the change they would try and bring. First off they’d have to learn Scott’s offense, abide by his practice schedule and his coaching style. It would be a one year learning process there alone. Does anyone really believe changing out some assistants will make this team look like they should in the 5th year?
I don't think so. I think that the new assistants argument is just wishing and hoping that it is a way to keep Frost and to help him be successful. The biggest deficiencies on the coaching staff are on the offensive side of the ball which Frost controls. The defensive staff looks competent for the most part.

That is my concern. Can a couple of assistants change all the problems we have. I just don’t see SF letting an assistant coach…..especially a new one……have significant control over change.

Change at OL has been well discussed here.
My concern with the offensive line isn’t as much being bullied. It’s more scheme. We literally have defensive lineman almost heads up on our guy and our lineman down blocking left or right on a double team thinking someone else is going to get the guy. Is that a mental mistake on the lineman or a design. In one case a new assistant might help. If it’s scheme it won’t.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back