• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Never been more proud...

The big 10 will shut it down. No link...no proof...i just can't see them letting anyone go rogue over this.

Why would the Conference try to infringe on the University under circumstances in which the Conference is not able or willing to uphold their obligation under the contract this season? I don’t think they would interfere with any program going their own way if we’re not going to have Conference football.

Why would the Conference try to infringe on the University under circumstances in which the Conference is not able or willing to uphold their obligation under the contract this season? I don’t think they would interfere with any program going their own way if we’re not going to have Conference football.
I'm willing to bet that if the Big 10 doesn't play NU doesn't either. Is it RIGHT? No. But that's how I see it going. They are not going to set a precedent of programs going against the conference successfully.

I REALLY want NU to go out on their own and try to put a season together but I think the lawyers would crap all over that. Not sure how you deal with TV revenue...say NU and KSU decide they want to play. What network gets it? How do they work it out financially since existing TV deals are are lump sum deals with conferences and not $X/per game on Network Y, etc. Seems like the complexities of making it work would be a big hurdle.
If the Big Ten cancels football Fox will have a lot of air time to fill

Last edited:
Conferences don't mean much if after a vote in favor of one course of action, one or more teams go their own way opposite that. The universities get together, not just the athletic departments. I think that kind of action contrary to the conference would be a big mistake. You either are or are not a member of the conference. If you are, you abide by its rules that are properly decided in the group. Seems fundamental.

But you think Frost would have cleared such an unequivocal statement with the president of the university and the Board of Regents. Maybe they want out of the Big 10 -- but wait - they make so much money while being a member. Do they want to make that up somewhere else?

I don't think Nebraska as an independent would be much of a draw. It might have 30 years ago, but not now. Someone on the board said they should do so "like Notre Dame." Do they really think NU has the nationwide fan base that ND has, or the cache?

So what next? Back into the Texas conference?

Nu
Conferences don't mean much if after a vote in favor of one course of action, one or more teams go their own way opposite that. The universities get together, not just the athletic departments. I think that kind of action contrary to the conference would be a big mistake. You either are or are not a member of the conference. If you are, you abide by its rules that are properly decided in the group. Seems fundamental.

But you think Frost would have cleared such an unequivocal statement with the president of the university and the Board of Regents. Maybe they want out of the Big 10 -- but wait - they make so much money while being a member. Do they want to make that up somewhere else?

I don't think Nebraska as an independent would be much of a draw. It might have 30 years ago, but not now. Someone on the board said they should do so "like Notre Dame." Do they really think NU has the nationwide fan base that ND has, or the cache?

So what next? Back into the Texas conference?
NU isn't going anywhere obviously...that's why this is all talk. Your points about what being in a conference is all about are why NU isn't going rogue ultimately.

Interesting information flying around. The piece I like is about Iowa. A team and state very often vilified on this forum. Maybe they don't look so bad now. I hope other members of the BIG rethink their position on playing this year. GBR

I would assume (and hope) that NU's legal team and Bill Moos have at least been inquiring about this for a while now in case this situation came up. I can't imagine publicly saying we're open to playing anyone if there is zero chance of it happening. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.
Sip talked about this a week or 2 ago. Now doubt if all the I’s are dotted but they have been looking into this for awhile.

The big 10 will shut it down. No link...no proof...i just can't see them letting anyone go rogue over this.

There's a lot of assumptions going on right now on all sides, but I would be shocked if NU is the only school pushing to play. Maybe NU couldn't get away with this plan on it's own, but get a few others on board, and things could change.

I'm willing to bet that if the Big 10 doesn't play NU doesn't either. Is it RIGHT? No. But that's how I see it going. They are not going to set a precedent of programs going against the conference successfully.
If one party doesn’t hold up their end of the contract then I don’t know why they would expect the other party to do so. I don’t think it would even be a legal battle. I don’t think the B1G would interfere at all. Hopefully the B1G does the right thing and plays this fall and we don’t have to find out.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back