• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska vs Northwestern Game Thread (8/27/22)

So that means Whipple walks away from a big paycheck? Maybe, but seems well worth it to let it play out and walk away with a suitcase full of cash. But not everyone thinks like me. Maybe Whipple is thin skinned and has more money than he could ever spend already.

My post wasn’t about Whipple. It was about Frost. Publicly throwing your offensive staff under the bus and then needing to work with them was another dumb, arrogant and undisciplined move.

Whip won’t quit unless SF really really really POs him this week (everybody has a breaking point so it is possible).

I think Whip most likely knows there are only 5 weeks to endure and then at the end of the season he gets a big pile of cash.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: paid administrative leave. (I think this is the best thing Trev could do for Frost, The coaches, the team, and the fans.)

I have no reason to suspect that Whipple is unprofessional. But yea, it is theoretically possible that they have a terrible relationship and hate each other to the point that Whip leaves. Highly unlikely though. I certainly don’t have inside information on that.

I’m not sure I know how paid administrative leave is any different than Frost being at the helm the rest of the season. The result is going to be the same. Those who think all that needs to happen is remove Frost and the team will suddenly start winning are perhaps over simplifying things.

Besides, I think team sentiment matters as well. Does the team want him gone at the beginning of October. Don’t know the answer. I trust that Trev has a plan. He seems pretty sharp.

My post wasn’t about Whipple. It was about Frost. Publicly throwing your offensive staff under the bus and then needing to work with them was another dumb, arrogant and undisciplined move.
We are in agreement. But my post was about Whipple, and you responded to my post. I was just clarifying. I think we are on the same page.

I have no reason to suspect that Whipple is unprofessional. But yea, it is theoretically possible that they have a terrible relationship and hate each other to the point that Whip leaves. Highly unlikely though. I certainly don’t have inside information on that.

I’m not sure I know how paid administrative leave is any different than Frost being at the helm the rest of the season. The result is going to be the same. Those who think all that needs to happen is remove Frost and the team will suddenly start winning are perhaps over simplifying things.

Besides, I think team sentiment matters as well. Does the team want him gone at the beginning of October. Don’t know the answer. I trust that Trev has a plan. He seems pretty sharp.
To me putting Frost on leave is just a loop hole to get around his contract.

Whether the team wants it or not, SF is a dead man walking. I don’t think getting rid of SF magically causes us to win games, but it does allow for a change in culture (better starting that sooner than later) and also allows Trev to evaluate anybody currently on the staff. I don’t think we have a HC on the staff, but if that is a thought, try it and see what they can do

You are asking and answering a different question. You are focused on addressing whether Frost should have seemingly “called out” his OC from the podium. I was questioning whether Whipple could or would simply leave because he was offended by the assumed slight. He is under contract after all. I suggested it is not in his interest to be thin skinned unless he is just loaded with cash as he enters retirement. i was also suggesting that the assertion that Whipple would walk out is based on an unproven premise, that SF and MW have not developed a supportive relationship and that Whipple is fragile and unprofessional.

To answer your question though, no, there was no reason for SF to make the comment he made. If he wanted to say something, it should have started with “we” need to be more creative in play calling, not his coaches need to be. He seems not to recognize that any failure by his staff is his failure too. If his coaches aren’t prepared for calling games in B1G games, it is his fault. He should have prepared them.

But I certainly don’t know SF enough to know for sure what goes on his head. But it’s clearly a bad look and a breach of the leadership principle of praising in public and criticize in private. Having said that, we may be overthinking things. It could simply be that SF simply ”not have way with words”.
Absolutely spot on with the bolded, you nailed it.

To me putting Frost on leave is just a loop hole to get around his contract.

Whether the team wants it or not, SF is a dead man walking. I don’t think getting rid of SF magically causes us to win games, but it does allow for a change in culture (better starting that sooner than later) and also allows Trev to evaluate anybody currently on the staff. I don’t think we have a HC on the staff, but if that is a thought, try it and see what they can do
if there are no realistic candidates on staff, then I don’t see the benefit of sacking SF in October. Even if there were a candidate on staff, such as MJ, their chance of success in that circumstance would be even smaller than SF‘s. Because of that, you doom whoever fills that role to failure. (Or they pull off a miracle)

There may be some benefit under the contract to letting him go early, I don’t know.

In any event, we may be getting a little ahead of our skis. We have 5 more games to get through before anything is likely to happen. We will likely be 2-2 going into the B1G season. Those first two games will give us a better picture of how it’s going. It was always going to be tough to get this team back on track with all the new faces. Maybe they will put things together as the season goes on.

Firing a head coach in college during the season is pretty rare. But if fans stop showing up for games, if big doners end up buying unsold tickets to keep the sellout streak alive, Trev will start feeling the pressure. No chance huskers beat Oklahoma, they might give North Dakota a game and might beat Georgia Southern but once the conference games takeover the schedule Frost isn't going to win with the defensive line he had yesterday. Not one game in the Big Ten.

if there are no realistic candidates on staff, then I don’t see the benefit of sacking SF in October. Even if there were a candidate on staff, such as MJ, their chance of success in that circumstance would be even smaller than SF‘s. Because of that, you doom whoever fills that role to failure. (Or they pull off a miracle)

There may be some benefit under the contract to letting him go early, I don’t know.

In any event, we may be getting a little ahead of our skis. We have 5 more games to get through before anything is likely to happen. We will likely be 2-2 going into the B1G season. Those first two games will give us a better picture of how it’s going. It was always going to be tough to get this team back on track with all the new faces. Maybe they will put things together as the season goes on.
SF will coach the rest of the season, but if hes gone at seasons end, that decision will be made in late october/early november if theres no chance for a bowl game. reason i say that because Trev will want to move quickly to get a new HC in place for recruiting purposes.

SF will coach the rest of the season, but if hes gone at seasons end, that decision will be made in late october/early november if theres no chance for a bowl game. reason i say that because Trev will want to move quickly to get a new HC in place for recruiting purposes.
Unfortunately, that’s probably how this is going to play out. But there is still time for the team to change the trajectory.

I think it's throwing them under the bus for the very thing he did not do hi.self when he came into the BIG

Next thing you know he will take play calling again.....wait what
Big Red Overreaction quoted him as saying: “WE as an offensive staff need to be more creative”, so I think the narrative that he threw Whipple under the bus is being a little over played. He includes himself in the group of offensive staff. If you stretch it a little bit, and make some assumptions, you can make the claim, but it is a stretch. If he threw the staff under, he threw himself right there with them.

Having said that, I think there is a more fair criticism. He has called plays for four years in this conference and is making that statement in year 5. What is he waiting for? How has he prepared Whipple and company for play calling in the B1G over the last 8 months? Why isn’t he already being more creative?

Personally, I believe they are looking right now. Trev gave Frost another year so he (Trev) could survey the market for another year in an attempt to bring in someone else.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back