• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska vs North Dakota Game Thread (9/3/22) BTN Tailgate From Lincoln Today

Grant is a gamer... will help the line.... the O-line needs to gel... they had some good moments, but still a ways to go. The DL will improve with each game.... still got to figure out the tackling... the sky has not fallen.... I haven't even cracked a beer yet.... tough sky.

Lot of work Gene but we needed the win

Hopefully the momentum we need

The meltdown on this board was epic at halftime. True comedy.

Grant is a winner. If he has an offensive line that can just tie the line of scrimmage we have someone we can work with.

Listen I know it's ND but with the long flight and the way we lost and the hangover. Take the win and move on.

I said to a friend before the game two long flight like that in a week is brutal. Had to do that a time in two in the AF and it rough

So the sluggishness not a surprise in half one

We needed the win

Now we need to work to get better

Final Game thoughts.

The mood was beyond somber in Memorial Stadium.

Fourth quarter, Nebraska clinging to a 24-17 lead with 11 minutes remaining. Nebraska had already blown a double-digit lead . . . again . . . and in spectacular fashion.

Earlier, Anthony Grant had put Nebraska on his back to get NU back to its 7 point lead. But things weren’t smooth—far from it. On its next possession, Ajay Allen had replaced Grant and it was one of those ugly looking “drives” where Nebraska failed to execute even one semi-competent play.

Then the defense held again (two times in a row by the way) and now Nebraska started from its 11.

And of course, NU gets cute but narrowly averts disaster on the first play. A bad run later and another false start.

Here it comes. Let the meltdown commence.

Third and ten . . . staring a program humiliating defeat that would once again lower the bar of the lowest point in NU history in the face, Casey Thompson chucks one up and Trey Palmer went up and out-wrestled a defender for the ball.

Nebraska fans had to be thinking . . . what is that?

It was a guy making a play (really two guys) when the team was on the ropes. Something we haven’t seen in a long, long, long time.

Nebraska never looked back.

Nebraska wins its first game in two years that was contested in the second half.

Trey Palmer picked up Casey Thompson. A great throw that doesn’t mean anything if he doesn’t make that play.

It is after all, a team game.

Anthony Grant was the difference. Early in the game, there just wasn’t enough Grant. We discovered Grant in the second quarter on our last drive. But a false start, a missed FG, and a pathetic defensive performance closed out the half.

Grant’s excellence in the second quarter drive was long forgotten by the time Nebraska limped into the locker room.

That is an example of players NOT playing for each other.

See the difference?

Trey Palmer made Casey Thompson’s throw a winner. The false start, missed FG, and horrible defensive series obliterated Grant’s effectiveness.

Stop me if I am going too fast.

Two guys came to play today. Garrett Nelson and Anthony Grant. They were sensational all game long.

Defensively, Nebraska needs a tutorial on open field tackling. When a ball carrier catches a pass on his 25 year line . . . back to the line of scrimmage. The player coming up to make the tackle CANNOT run to the22. That is bad. He usually CANNOT run to the 25. Because by the time he gets there, the receiver won’t be there anymore.

Stop me if I’m going too fast.

You need to run to the 26, 27, 28 . . . depending on the distance and the angle. This helps prevent you from waving at the player on your by as you do your Forest Gump impression running into the tunnel at the end of the field.

Instead of trying to run faster than you can run to get there faster because you just want to tackle the guy on the 25, you tip your cap to the offense for the 2 or 3 yards they just got . . . and tackle the guy after a couple of yards.

Watch the first half of the Colorado game (Frost’s the second year) when we were up 17-0 at half. And compare to the second half when our defense melted down. Great example to study to illustrate the point just made.

I’m not sure, but Casey Thompson may have more fourth quarter wins in his two game Nebraska career than Adrian Martinez had in his four year career. I could be wrong about that though. Maybe over the top there.

Anthony Grant had 189 yards and at times looked like he was playing with North Dakota defenders. He gets tough yards, he gets bounce back yards . . . he is the man now for this offense.

Ajay Allen looked pretty good in his time late. We have a nice problem at RB.

The offensive line is a major work in progress. The left side is struggling with two young players coming off injuries. Hopefully, they can get better because I really do believe the talent is there. Meanwhile, not hearing too much about Benhart. Didn’t really watch him but hopefully, no news is good news there.

Loved the QB runs with Thompson. As long as we don’t get addicted to running him too much, it is a great way to keep defenses honest.

Great to see Manning out there with a couple of catches.

Down our starting TE, two TD catches for the two backups. When was the last time that happened?

Back to the defense, there were serious tackling issues and they gave up way too many yards . . . but once again . . . they only gave up 17 points—and 7 came after the interception.

The bend don’t break defense is making NU fans more than a little agitated—myself included. But once again, there it is. The problem is—other than the fact we will play better offenses down the road—that it usually leads to bad field position and less opportunities for the offense to get the ball.

I thought that Caleb Tannor played a good game and was all over the field. Great to see the Mathis sack. And of course, Nelson blowing up the QB was like instant sanity therapy for many fans.

Scott Frost with 3 timeouts to end the first half with the other team driving is something I just can’t fathom. His clock management is atrocious and sometimes it gets lost (how bad it is)in all of the other insanity taking place on Saturdays. Once again, the end of a half didn’t go well for NU. That needs to change. Instead of leading 7-3 at the half, it is 7-7 and his tired defense had to grind out an extra three or four plays that our coach inexplicably gave them. And I stress the word ‘gave.’

By the way, when the other team converts a fourth down, you don’t celebrate the tackle like you just won the Super Bowl. Another indication our players just aren’t mentally there.

When a punt stops rolling, there really is no reason for a receiving team player to risk picking it up and fumbling.

The helmet to helmet non-call ticks me off to no end. Brewington was absolutely lit up by a guy who launched, banged his helmet into an offensive player with his back to him. Then the replay analyst trips over himself to fabricate ridiculous observations to justify the refs not doing their jobs. I HATE this stupid rule. Either call it . . . or don’t. It doesn’t matter if it is inconvenient at times. If it’s a rule . . . YOU CALL IT!

EVERY . . . SINGLE . . . TIME!

Otherwise, it’s called ‘cheating.’

For the record, I was okay with the other call that was reversed.

The onside kick wasn’t an onside kick—you know which one. ND started the drive on the 32, I think. It’s a non-topic for me.

Well, NU snaps a brutal 7 game losing streak. It was ugly. And then it got more ugly. And then it got really ugly.

And after the ugliness . . . there was more ugliness.

BUT . . . the team found a way to beat themselves to the tune of a victory instead of yet another demoralizing loss.

I think the defense will improve . . . lots of new faces coming together. But I don’t know how much yet. The OL can improve. I think Corcoran and Prochazka need some time to leave their recent injuries behind them. Inside center and right guard . . . that is what it is.

We have a ‘bell cow’ now at RB and solid players behind him.

Our WR’s have some promise although why do our top receivers seem to disappear for long stretches?

So . . . maybe we get better. The problem is . . . our opponents will get better as well.

It’s hard to have faith in the product we have seen so far.

But luckily, us fans don’t have to coach or play. We just have to cheer.

We deserve a raise, by the way.

On to Georgia Southern? Is that who we play?

Let’s get to 2-1 and worry about the rest later. Maybe a couple of wins will settle the new players and coaches down a bit. Stranger things have happened.

Really. They have.

Enjoy the win Husker fans. Don’t think too much.

Take care all.

I said to a friend before the game two long flight like that in a week is brutal. Had to do that a time in two in the AF and it rough

So the sluggishness not a surprise in half one

We needed the win

Now we need to work to get better

Anyone who travels for a living understands. If they would have won week 0 it may have been a little different in the 1st half. This team is still getting to know each other as are the coaches. My goodness people lighten up. It was not barely beating Arkansas St or an awful Purdue team under Riley. It was not barely beating McNeese under Bo. It was not losing to Troy or Northern Illinois. Enjoy the win. Beat the Eagles of GA Southern. Then get ready for Oklahoma.

Last edited:
Anyone who travels for a living understands. If they would have won week 0 it may have been a little different in the 1st half. This team is still getting to know each other as are the coaches. My goodness people lighten up. It was not barely beating Arkansas St or an awful Purdue team under Riley. It was not barely beating McNeese under Bo. It was not losing to Troy or Northern Illinois. Enjoy the win. Beat the Eagles of GA Southern. Then get ready for Oklahoma.
The only way they'll be ready to play Oklahoma is if they actually start practicing football during practice.

Final Game thoughts.

The mood was beyond somber in Memorial Stadium.

Fourth quarter, Nebraska clinging to a 24-17 lead with 11 minutes remaining. Nebraska had already blown a double-digit lead . . . again . . . and in spectacular fashion.

Earlier, Anthony Grant had put Nebraska on his back to get NU back to its 7 point lead. But things weren’t smooth—far from it. On its next possession, Ajay Allen had replaced Grant and it was one of those ugly looking “drives” where Nebraska failed to execute even one semi-competent play.

Then the defense held again (two times in a row by the way) and now Nebraska started from its 11.

And of course, NU gets cute but narrowly averts disaster on the first play. A bad run later and another false start.

Here it comes. Let the meltdown commence.

Third and ten . . . staring a program humiliating defeat that would once again lower the bar of the lowest point in NU history in the face, Casey Thompson chucks one up and Trey Palmer went up and out-wrestled a defender for the ball.

Nebraska fans had to be thinking . . . what is that?

It was a guy making a play (really two guys) when the team was on the ropes. Something we haven’t seen in a long, long, long time.

Nebraska never looked back.

Nebraska wins its first game in two years that was contested in the second half.

Trey Palmer picked up Casey Thompson. A great throw that doesn’t mean anything if he doesn’t make that play.

It is after all, a team game.

Anthony Grant was the difference. Early in the game, there just wasn’t enough Grant. We discovered Grant in the second quarter on our last drive. But a false start, a missed FG, and a pathetic defensive performance closed out the half.

Grant’s excellence in the second quarter drive was long forgotten by the time Nebraska limped into the locker room.

That is an example of players NOT playing for each other.

See the difference?

Trey Palmer made Casey Thompson’s throw a winner. The false start, missed FG, and horrible defensive series obliterated Grant’s effectiveness.

Stop me if I am going too fast.

Two guys came to play today. Garrett Nelson and Anthony Grant. They were sensational all game long.

Defensively, Nebraska needs a tutorial on open field tackling. When a ball carrier catches a pass on his 25 year line . . . back to the line of scrimmage. The player coming up to make the tackle CANNOT run to the22. That is bad. He usually CANNOT run to the 25. Because by the time he gets there, the receiver won’t be there anymore.

You need to run to the 26, 27, 28 . . . depending on the distance and the angle. This helps prevent you from waving at the player on your by as you do your Forest Gump impression running into the tunnel at the end of the field.

Instead of trying to run faster than you can run to get there faster because you just want to tackle the guy on the 25, you tip your cap to the offense for the 2 or 3 yards they just got . . . and tackle the guy after a couple of yards.

Watch the first half of the Colorado game (Frost’s the second year) when we were up 17-0 at half. And compare to the second half when our defense melted down. Great example to study to illustrate the point just made.

I’m not sure, but Casey Thompson may have more fourth quarter wins in his two game Nebraska career than Adrian Martinez had in his four year career. I could be wrong about that though. Maybe over the top there.

Anthony Grant had 189 yards and at times looked like he was playing with North Dakota defenders. He gets tough yards, he gets bounce back yards . . . he is the man now for this offense.

Ajay Allen looked pretty good in his time late. We have a nice problem at RB.

The offensive line is a major work in progress. The left side is struggling with two young players coming off injuries. Hopefully, they can get better because I really do believe the talent is there. Meanwhile, not hearing too much about Benhart. Didn’t really watch him but hopefully, no news is good news there.

Loved the QB runs with Thompson. As long as we don’t get addicted to running him too much, it is a great way to keep defenses honest.

Great to see Manning out there with a couple of catches.

Down our starting TE, two TD catches for the two backups. When was the last time that happened?

Back to the defense, there were serious tackling issues and they gave up way too many yards . . . but once again . . . they only gave up 17 points—and 7 came after the interception.

The bend don’t break defense is making NU fans more than a little agitated—myself included. But once again, there it is. The problem is—other than the fact we will play better offenses down the road—that it usually leads to bad field position and less opportunities for the offense to get the ball.

I thought that Caleb Tannor played a good game and was all over the field. Great to see the Mathis sack. And of course, Nelson blowing up the QB was like instant sanity therapy for many fans.

Scott Frost with 3 timeouts to end the first half with the other team driving is something I just can’t fathom. His clock management is atrocious and sometimes it gets lost (how bad it is)in all of the other insanity taking place on Saturdays. Once again, the end of a half didn’t go well for NU. That needs to change. Instead of leading 7-3 at the half, it is 7-7 and his tired defense had to grind out an extra three or four plays that our coach inexplicably gave them. And I stress the word ‘gave.’

By the way, when the other team converts a fourth down, you don’t celebrate the tackle like you just won the Super Bowl. Another indication our players just aren’t mentally there.

When a punt stops rolling, there really is no reason for a receiving team player to risk picking it up and fumbling.

The helmet to helmet non-call ticks me off to no end. Brewington was absolutely lit up by a guy who launched, banged his helmet into an offensive player with his back to him. Then the replay analyst trips over himself to fabricate ridiculous observations to justify the refs not doing their jobs. I HATE this stupid rule. Either call it . . . or don’t. It doesn’t matter if it is inconvenient at times. If it’s a rule . . . YOU CALL IT!

EVERY . . . SINGLE . . . TIME!

Otherwise, it’s called ‘cheating.’

For the record, I was okay with the other call that was reversed.

The onside kick wasn’t an onside kick—you know which one. ND started the drive on the 32, I think. It’s a non-topic for me.

Well, NU snaps a brutal 7 game losing streak. It was ugly. And then it got more ugly. And then it got really ugly.

And after the ugliness . . . there was more ugliness.

BUT . . . the team found a way to beat themselves to the tune of a victory instead of yet another demoralizing loss.

I think the defense will improve . . . lots of new faces coming together. But I don’t know how much yet. The OL can improve. I think Corcoran and Prochazka need some time to leave their recent injuries behind them. Inside center and right guard . . . that is what it is.

We have a ‘bell cow’ now at RB and solid players behind him.

Our WR’s have some promise although why do our top receivers seem to disappear for long stretches?

So . . . maybe we get better. The problem is . . . our opponents will get better as well.

It’s hard to have faith in the product we have seen so far.

But luckily, us fans don’t have to coach or play. We just have to cheer.

We deserve a raise, by the way.

On to Georgia Southern? Is that who we play?

Let’s get to 2-1 and worry about the rest later. Maybe a couple of wins will settle the new players and coaches down a bit. Stranger things have happened.

Really. They have.

Enjoy the win Husker fans. Don’t think too much.

Take care all.

Anyone done reading this yet…I need to take another break. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back