• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska vs Colorado (9/7/19)

We have a lot of issues on offense.

The offensive line does not run block very well.
Mills does not see the holes very well.
Washington is just a perimeter runner and defenses will know that.
We have two receivers who have caught one pass between them the entire year. That leaves only Spielman, Robinson, the TE and RB as pass options. Allen and Noa are not going to scare any defense and they cannot get open.
Martinez does not get out of the pocket enough.
Our play calling based on personnel sets is pretty predictable.
All of those things make it tough to be consistent offensively.

The O line play could get better, but the issues at WR and RB are going to be tough to fix unless there are some young guys who can step up.

I’m surprised we haven’t seen any of Rahmir Johnson or Bradley. At WR it’s time to let Mike Williams, Darien Chase, Miles Jones or even McQuitty get time over Noa. It’s bad enough for a starting WR to have 0 catches, but only 1 target through two games says he’s not getting open and/or doesn’t have the QBs trust.

Anyone disagree with me?
I do. The defense pitched a shut out in the first 40 minutes. The offense played solid for 30 minutes. Scott’s entire system revolves around the offense scoring 40 plus points a game. The offense laid a big fat goose egg in the 3rd quarter and hung the defense out to dry. Scott and the O lost this game

This coaching staff can’t get out of their own way and now they need to get this team mentally ready against a Northern Illinois that beat them 2 years ago at home. Good luck with that.

Problem is...it won’t be an upset. :Banghead:

Martinez accounted for over 350 yards of total offense, 4 touchdowns, 1 interception that should have been a PI and a fumble on a hit that would have made Jerome Bettis cough it up.

For those blaming AM, do you honestly Vedral or Bunch would have done better?!?!!
Actually he fumbled twice.

Wow, apparently Frost just said this offense “needs” big plays to make it work, not sustain 12 play drives.

That’s either an indictment of his scheme or the players.

Martinez accounted for over 350 yards of total offense, 4 touchdowns, 1 interception that should have been a PI and a fumble on a hit that would have made Jerome Bettis cough it up.

For those blaming AM, do you honestly Vedral or Bunch would have done better?!?!!
Most ships bilges are generally loaded with rodents who quickly leave the ship when it appears to be sinking!

This was hardly a season ending disaster with lots of football left......... Should never be surprised with the complete and total fan over reaction of any loss........ Frost and company back to the drawing board!

Last edited:

Wow, apparently Frost just said this offense “needs” big plays to make it work, not sustain 12 play drives.

That’s either an indictment of his scheme or the players.

That's cfb in 2019 for about 90% of the offenses out there.

Final Game thoughts.

No team in America finds creative ways to lose than Nebraska. No one!

I guess I just don’t understand the mentality. You play an almost perfect half of football. Then you decide to take the entire second half off. You pass a partition in the locker room (otherwise known as naptime) pledging to take the second half off.

For 15 years we have watched this crap. Nothing ever changes.

Sleepwalking out of the locker room after naptime, Frost has to call a timeout because his entire offense was still too sleepy to run a play.

Are you kidding me?

The first drive was vintage BAD Martinez. He couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn all of a sudden.

We’ve seen this before, haven’t we?

Nine for nine in the first half, missing receivers badly in the second half. Something about NU QB’s with big leads at halftime.

Washington lazily allows himself to be tackled short of the first down on a play he should have had the first down easily. Luckily, we sneak for the first. But the bad play generator is just revving up.

Then Stoll picks up a big penalty, and Martinez misfires badly a few times before fumbling on a sack play. But we recover.

But the machine is just revving up.

When we decide to stink, we really decide to stink. Everybody signs the petition.

Then the defense. Missed tackles suddenly are a steady part of the gameplan. But we sleepwalk our way to a stop—3 missed tackles on a play to force a fourth down.

It goes like this for awhile. We have another sleepy time timeout after a change of possession. Seriously? How does that keep happening?

The lead holds for awhile but you can feel that our guys aren’t in the game anymore. They checked out. It wasn’t fatigue. It wasn’t the altitude. It was the ATTITUDE.

And the attitude was bad.

Then suddenly, our defense folded. With the offense sound asleep and lacking any sense of urgency, CU begins moving the ball at will. After shutting down CU all game, suddenly we are getting no pressure on their QB and CU can do anything it wants.

Sound familiar?

Remember Northwestern? How Frost said that all we had to do is someone make a play—anybody—just one play in the last 6 minutes and we win. But no one ever did. Everyone signed the stink petition. And you couldn’t have scripted a loss any better.

Fast forward to today. So many opportunities to win. So many guys failed to play for their teammates.

We beat our opponents. We beat ourselves. And sometimes we beat our opponents again. Today, we took an oath at nappy time . . . we weren’t going to beat anybody . . . no matter what it took.

How do we get a coaches sideline penalty with under 6 minutes to play after recovering a fumble near midfield up by 7? Did the coaches sign the petition during nappy time too? Think about that penalty. It is mindboggling. What a change of field position that was.

Nebraska starts to finally wake up in the fourth quarter after their somnambulant third quarter. Of course, now fatigue really is setting in—self induced fatigue.

Washington takes a pass to the house—75 yards on a simple swing pass. Suddenly, there is hope.

Then the defense has a major bust in the secondary and CU scores all too easily.

A Martinez careless fumble later, and CU ties the game.

Suddenly tied and no momentum in spite of the Washington play, NU finally mounts a good drive. A horrendous drop by Wan’Dale Robinson reminds fans of the Morgan and Spielman drops last year. But Martinez bails him out with some nifty running and Washington again bust loose for a bit run. NU goes for it on 4th down inside the 10 and takes the lead.

Then NU gets creative. They decide to kick short (why?) and CU has a big return. During the return, you can see Taylor-Britt chasing the ball carrier—his intent is not just to tackle the guy (a good idea by the way) but to create a fumble. He succeeds. NU gets the ball and a chance to salt the game away. But a coaches sideline interference call negates the field position.

Nebraska does very little right for the rest of the game. About the same time as the Northwestern meltdown occurred last year.

Once again, NU goes into overtime and holds CU to a FG. Normally, you feel pretty good when that happens. Not the way NU plays. Two busted running plays lead to 3rd and 9 and Martinez takes an awful sack to force a long 4th down with our starting kicker not available. A 48 yard shank later . . . and CU is the latest recipient of a Husker chokedown.

Enjoy the gift Buffaloes. It really is a special gift that we just keep giving.

By the way, when we say they were held to a FG, did anybody notice we picked up not one, but two penalties on the FG try?

Nothing ever changes. Coaching staff after coaching staff after coaching staff.

I watch other teams. And yes, they occasionally melt down. But no one does it as religiously as Nebraska.

Any Husker fan who says he is shocked by this loss . . . I’m calling you a liar. We have all seen this too many times.

You can set your watch by it. Your calendar. You could probably go to Vegas and make a ton of money predicting it—if you were so bold.

When did this slop become our identity?

I’m sure we will hear the usual statements.

We are a great team, we just keep making silly mistakes over and over and over and over and over again.

We learned our lesson. We will never let up on a team like that again. Yeah, right?

Okay, nowhere to go from here but onto the next game. Some of the players in the locker room need to really look in the mirror. That second half performance and effort was unmistakably unacceptable. Look at your team mates and don’t lie to them. Tell them “I thought you were going to make the plays. I wasn’t going to do it.”

Sorry to be so negative. But we beat ourselves again—CU just came along for the ride. The rest is just window dressing. I could have written this very wrap up to cover countless other games over the years sans some of the specifics. Come to think of it, I think I have.

But we learned something today. Halftime naps are not a good idea.

I wonder if we will ever learn.

Take care all.

Last edited:

Excuse for what? He ran pretty well today. Not being able to get the IZ runs for our backs is what is holding back the run game.

Once the backs were stymied and the receivers could t get open, and the line was unable to block, I would have thought we would try to move the pocket. Instead, we kept AM as a stationary drop back passer. What is the excuse for expecting success without using AM’s feet, either as a runner or at least moving him around to buy time?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back