• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska Coach Bowl.

After tonight, I think we may need to add Klieman in this "steel a Big 12 coach" contest. Four Big 12 coaches battle it out for the chance to fix a trainwreck in Lincoln.
Doesn’t 2AM still have a freebie Covid year or something after this one? :pirate:

The question is, how long do you wait before pulling the trigger. Seems to me after three years you have a pretty good indication which direction a coach is going. Three years of Frost was plenty.
After year 3 I was at where most people were at last year. Didn’t think Frost would make it but willing to give him a 4th year with everything he had coming back. Of course he flubbed it at historical levels

I agree. Frost situation was a different cat. As much as I was anti frost I still believed he had the capabilities. I just knew it was an effort/commitment/hobby issue. The last couple of years it got to where we could all see he wouldn’t turn it around here.
This is what I can't grasp.
We all knew the competitive nature of Frost as a player.
We all knew of his ego, which varied from confidence to arrogance to cockiness.
I felt assured that he, as a coach would have died trying to improve this teams win / loss record as a matter of self pride.

I felt assured that he, as a coach would have died trying to improve this teams win / loss record as a matter of self pride.
I have to say that the first red flag for me was when Scott kept blaming Riley and Riley's culture. The good coaches seem to review the players they have to work with and coach them up -- AND leave the last coach out of the discussion. In other words, they own it, like many managers and officers that I work with. If they find someone who can't / won't get the job done, they replace them.

. I think saying support is a pretty wide and vague reference. Some mean support as as unquestioned allegiance. I can support his as part of our Nebraska program and yet reserve the right to question his actions and even whether he is the right person for the job.

Bottom line is I’m 100% over unchecked blind support. I’m going to need to see it.
I believe support is the correct term at least from my pov. That means to me giving any new coach some breathing room before being critical or questioning his coaching methods. In other words give the new coach time to get this program installed even if I do not agree with everything being done. I also need to see results but realize it's probably not going to be instant. Therefore I'll give my full support at least for a couple of seasons but yes need to see results.

Not to disparage Aranda's coaching acumen in any way, but the whole "letting players be themselves" thing made me wonder if he might be the walking mic stand reincarnate. I think it was post game on the field interview where he said the same thing and seemed to get pretty emotional about it.
Not a strike against him at all, just a nit on my part.
I saw that same thing. I'm not sure the "simple" people in Nebraska would be ready for that heady talk. I like his coaching style but they'll be a bunch of people that will be very critical.

Actually Bo’s winning percentage was higher his last 3 years than it was his 3 first years. And that included transitioning into a new conference.

Actually, it was the exact same number of wins. One less game played between the first three seasons and the last three -- as Bo didn't coach in the final bowl game.

2009 and 2010 teams were the last two NU teams (Bo and since) to finish ranked inside the top 20. Those were Bo's best teams. His defenses were not nearly as good when we transitioned into the Big Ten. And the Big Ten wasn't nearly as good as it is now.

Last edited:

100%.

I don't know how to align what my vision of him as a competitor is/was to how his coaching tenure at NU played out.

It just doesn't add up. At all.

100%.

I don't know how to align what my vision of him as a competitor is/was to how his coaching tenure at NU played out.

It just doesn't add up. At all.
It's why the stories coming out about him seem very plausible. Frost failing on his own merits seems unlikely, but him failing because of uncontrolled off the field issues makes a lot more sense.

It's why the stories coming out about him seem very plausible. Frost failing on his own merits seems unlikely, but him failing because of uncontrolled off the field issues makes a lot more sense.

I guess I'm a different kind of competitive.

If something I'm doing doesn't make me better or more competitive, I'm not doing that.

If the stress of the position and the resultant expectations were beyond his ability to handle, I get that. I may have mentioned that as a potential problem in 2017. I'd have thought twice about coming back as the conquering hero, even as competitive as I am and as much as I love Nebraska.

Three years of Riley was certainly plenty, and dude at least won half his games
And went to 2 bowl games.

Frost immediately divided the team while telling everyone what a “terrible coach” Riley was. He pissed players off so much they started leaving to be with Riley at OSU until Frost banned anymore transfers to OSU.

Turns out Riley was a better coach. What a big slice of humble pie shoved right down big baby Frost’s throat.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back