• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NCAA Tournament Discussion: 2022 Champions - Kansas

More about the greatest Cinderella in tournament history ...

As mentioned above, St. Peter's is the only team seeded lower than 12 to ever make the Elite 8. And the only team to ever win multiple games as double-digit underdogs.

But also consider .... there were two 12 seeds to make the Elite 8 in tournament history. Missouri in 2002 and Oregon State in 2021. But both of those teams were battle-tested by playing in major conferences (and the gap between a 12-seed and 15-seed is typically huge). And both of those 12-seeds played at least one game on the path to the Elite 8 that was also there due to an upset (an easier path than St. Peter's). St Peter's has faced the highest possible seed in each of their three wins (wasn't the case for Mizzou or OSU). And again, no 13-seeds nor 14-seeds have ever made it this far (and obviously no 15 or 16 seeds).

15-seeds were a combined 7-138 in tournament history prior to St. Peter's. They are now 10-138.

St. Peter's is everything that makes sports great. It may be a long time before we ever see a Cinderella playing as well as they have for as long as they have. Embrace the Peacocks!
I don’t disagree. It’s just too soon and too painful.

Elite Eight:

(#4) Arkansas vs (#2) Duke
(#5) Houston vs (#2) Villanova
(#8) No Carolina vs (#15) St. Peter's
(#1) Kansas (#10) Miami

More about the greatest Cinderella in tournament history ...

As mentioned above, St. Peter's is the only team seeded lower than 12 to ever make the Elite 8. And the only team to ever win multiple games as double-digit underdogs.

But also consider .... there were two 12 seeds to make the Elite 8 in tournament history. Missouri in 2002 and Oregon State in 2021. But both of those teams were battle-tested by playing in major conferences (and the gap between a 12-seed and 15-seed is typically huge). And both of those 12-seeds played at least one game on the path to the Elite 8 that was also there due to an upset (an easier path than St. Peter's). St Peter's has faced the highest possible seed in each of their three wins (wasn't the case for Mizzou or OSU). And again, no 13-seeds nor 14-seeds have ever made it this far (and obviously no 15 or 16 seeds).

15-seeds were a combined 7-138 in tournament history prior to St. Peter's. They are now 10-138.

St. Peter's is everything that makes sports great. It may be a long time before we ever see a Cinderella playing as well as they have for as long as they have. Embrace the Peacocks!

The financial impact for a university like St. Peter's is almost immeasurable. The Forbes article talks about short term immediate gains. I also read elsewhere that it might mean up to $100M for their endowment.

Will be interested to see if they are able to hold onto their head coach ... although it is almost too late in the hiring cycle for this year.

Elite Eight:

(#4) Arkansas vs (#2) Duke
(#5) Houston vs (#2) Villanova
(#8) No Carolina vs (#15) St. Peter's
(#1) Kansas (#10) Miami

My picks:
Duke ... I hate picking them but they're going to ride the Coach K wave a little bit more.
Villanova
UNC ... St. Peter's ride ends.
Kansas

I believe UNC would play Duke in the next round.

Last edited:

Kansas has had a relatively easy path.

Texas Southern (16-seed)
Creighton (9)
Providence (4)
Miami (10) is up next

KU played Creighton after the Jays small upset over San Diego State. Providence (after many picked them to lose in the first round) and now the 10-seed, Miami, as both the #2 and #3 seeds were previously upset in that region.

That's a gift path to the Final Four.

By chance I had the St Peters - Kentucky game on Tv and happened to see it all.
There was a moment about 8 minutes into the game, it was tied, and the St Peters Coach felt two of his players had blown their assignment, and the Coach was taking them to task.
And it was clear that Coach expected his team to win.
I got +18 of points at that moment and bet St Peters.

Anyone that thinks St Peters is some kind of fluke hasn't watched them.

Last edited:
By chance I had the St Peters - Kentucky game on Tv and happened to see it all.
There was a moment about 8 minutes into the game, it was tied, and the St Peters Coach felt two of his players had blown their assignment, and the Coach was taking them to task.
And it was clear that Coach expected his team to win.
I got +18 of points at that moment and bet St Peters.

Anyone that thinks St Peters is some kind of fluke hasn't watched them.

Agreed.

A fluke is when a low major upsets one team. St Peter's has upset three teams. That's great coaching and a lot of heart.

God, I'd love to see St. Peter's beat UNC. Duke and KU in the Final Four makes me ill. Let's not add UNC to that group.

Last edited:

Someone said today, that this is the first time North Carolina and Duke have ever met in the tournament.
How insane is that?

Over 200 meetings since 1921 and it's never happened. And it's only been close one time. 1991, they were both in the Final 4 but on opposite sides of the bracket. Duke upset defending champ UNLV, and Carolina lost to Kansas, who was coached by former UNC assistant Roy Williams.
I know most of the country is already sick of the media coverage that Duke-UNC is getting, and I totally understand it. But I can tell you that most die hard fans in NC didn't ever want to see this matchup.

We are working with a company to add a feature to Fanalytix that has an artificial intelligence prediction model based on past statistics. Here is their projections for the final four games today. Take it for what it is worth.

The Duke Blue Devils have a forecast 73% chance to win against The North Carolina Tar Heels with a spread of -5.5/5.5 and an over/under of 145.5. The Duke Blue Devils are 1 - 1 against The North Carolina Tar Heels in the 2021-22 Season.

Current odds are Duke minus 4.5 and O/U of 152.5. (Edit to update Kansas from 4 to 4.5)

The Kansas Jayhawks have a forecast 82% chance to win against The Villanova Wildcats with a spread of -6/6 and an over/under of 144.5. The Kansas Jayhawks are 0 - 0 against The Villanova Wildcats in the 2021-22 Season.

Current odds are Kansas minus 4 and O/U of 133.

This tells me to go with Duke and the unders and Kanas with the overs.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back