• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

N2FL Ranks the 2022 Commits

I think you can infer from that there will be focusing more on kids in the general area and less on kids from far away. The transfers of all the FL kids being probably the #1 reason for the change.
Once again I would argee with that point but to support the narrative of 2010 you would have to say or agree that Scott Frost wasn’t recruiting character or cultural fit guys previously. Then to infer that we with concerns are some kind of dolts because we didn’t see this coming gets under my skin. Let’s face facts and just admit that recruiting isn’t go so well right now and you can’t totally explain that away due to some change in philosophy.

I think we should have seen a drop coming because this was always going to be a really small class. The biggest reason other than that is the record under Frost. There's no denying that. But I also don't think it's a disturbing trend if the team improves on the field this year.
Look at average rated rankings, we are tied for fifth, not great, but theres a ton with an average in the .86 range. This is class rated by talent not number of kids

I think it's a stretch to see the head coach outright saying we need to recruit a certain kind of kid to avoid the type of issue that was happening with the kids he brought in... and think he's not referring to a change.

"Fit," "character," "culture," etc. aren't binary, you-either-have-them-or-you-don't qualities. They're more like attribute ratings you see on a video game, and we're increasing the focus or minimum requirement there. There's a very direct cause and effect to that on who's being targeted/prioritized, which explains a part of the lower star rating.
It’s your right to believe that’s why we are having issues right now and it’s my right to think it’s an excuse. Just don’t presume all of us that may have concerns should’ve seen this coming due to an “obvious” recruiting shift and not due to much more concerning issues.

Once again I would argee with that point but to support the narrative of 2010 you would have to say or agree that Scott Frost wasn’t recruiting character or cultural fit guys previously. Then to infer that we with concerns are some kind of dolts because we didn’t see this coming gets under my skin. Let’s face facts and just admit that recruiting isn’t go so well right now and you can’t totally explain that away due to some change in philosophy.

I don't think that's what he's saying. Take the term "character" out of it for a second, because you're right, that implies that kids from other parts of the country don't have character. But cultural fit is a better way to put it, and that can mean a lot of different things. The Midwest, and Nebraska in particular, is COMPLETELY different than other parts of the country. Now imagine a kid from south Florida coming to Lincoln, that has to be a huge culture shock. Some kids get used to it,others don't (as evidenced by some of the transfers). Instead of focusing so much on Florida, it might be a better cultural fit to go after a kid from KC metro, St. Louis, Chicago, etc. Doesn't mean those kids have more character than the Florida kids, but just that might be more used to the culture in the Midwest.

It’s your right to believe that’s why we are having issues right now and it’s my right to think it’s an excuse. Just don’t presume all of us that may have concerns should’ve seen this coming due to an “obvious” recruiting shift and not due to much more concerning issues.

Even if things were going as well as they had the last 3 years in recruiting, this class still wouldn't be rated that high because of how small it is.

Even if things were going as well as they had the last 3 years in recruiting, this class still wouldn't be rated that high because of how small it is.
Agreed but that doesn't mean the individual recruits wouldn't be rated higher. I also think we are not the only school that is dealing with a larger roster right now.

Agreed but that doesn't mean the individual recruits wouldn't be rated higher. I also think we are not the only school that is dealing with a larger roster right now.

Well Northwood stated if you go by average star rating, we would be 5th in the Big 10. Not great, but not as bad as it seems.
And you're right, we're not the only school. But unless I'm missing something, we have less room for this class than any school in the Big 10.

We all knew (or should have known) that this class was never going to be ranked high because it will end up being historically small. 13-15 is probably the best guess right now. The staff did say they were focusing more on fit, and they also said they were really focused on the 500 mile radius more than they maybe they had previously. There have been some misses on their top guys, which suck but unfortunately isn't surprising considering the record of the last few years. But there are also guys to get really excited about. Another thing is many on this board have been clamoring for the staff to recruit the state better. The byproduct of bringing in a guy like Jake Appleget is he will bring the class ranking down. It's just a reality that NE kids generally aren't rated as high as in other states.
I don't think the sky is falling in recruiting at all. If they improve on the field this year, recruiting will trend upward very quickly.

I think it's interesting that you bring up how fans are clamoring for the staff to recruit in-state better in a year where they're missing out on several four-star in-state kids. Now, it's not fair to expect any coach to clean sweep his in-state talent, but it's unexceptable to be outworked by not only border state schools like Missouri and Iowa, but schools that are a thousand miles away? Auburn, Miami, Florida, Arizona State, North Carolina, Tennessee, Oklahoma, several schools recruited the "Big 4" harder, better and more consistent then Nebraska. That just can't happen. Luckily it looks like 2023 will be a different story.

And as for a smaller class number leading to a lower ranked class, well last year 8 teams who signed less than 20 kids finished in the top 25. This year several teams won't sign 20. It's about the quality of the recruit, not the quantity.

With everyone signing smaller classes, this is actually where a school like Nebraska should be benefiting from the trickle down effect. When schools like Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, etc are all taking 5+ less kids, there's opportunity for the second tier schools to gobble those guys up.

Covid is definitely part of the blame as to why that's not happening. Nebraska needs to get kids on campus, which is why you're seeing more local flavor this class. But the losing is more to blame. Frost is struggling to sell his vision. When local coaches are encouraging in-state kids to look for progress, what do you think kids in Georgia, Florida, Alabama, New Jersey, Texas, etc are hearing?

I think it's interesting that you bring up how fans are clamoring for the staff to recruit in-state better in a year where they're missing out on several four-star in-state kids. Now, it's not fair to expect any coach to clean sweep his in-state talent, but it's unexceptable to be outworked by not only border state schools like Missouri and Iowa, but schools that are a thousand miles away? Auburn, Miami, Florida, Arizona State, North Carolina, Tennessee, Oklahoma, several schools recruited the "Big 4" harder, better and more consistent then Nebraska. That just can't happen. Luckily it looks like 2023 will be a different story.

And as for a smaller class number leading to a lower ranked class, well last year 8 teams who signed less than 20 kids finished in the top 25. This year several teams won't sign 20. It's about the quality of the recruit, not the quantity.

With everyone signing smaller classes, this is actually where a school like Nebraska should be benefiting from the trickle down effect. When schools like Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, etc are all taking 5+ less kids, there's opportunity for the second tier schools to gobble those guys up.

Covid is definitely part of the blame as to why that's not happening. Nebraska needs to get kids on campus, which is why you're seeing more local flavor this class. But the losing is more to blame. Frost is struggling to sell his vision. When local coaches are encouraging in-state kids to look for progress, what do you think kids in Georgia, Florida, Alabama, New Jersey, Texas, etc are hearing?

I was referring to signing a kid like Jake Appleget, who seems to be a quality prospect but his star rating won't help the rankings at all.

There are small classes, and then there is this class. 13-15 in a class is ridiculously small.

I mentioned the losing being the major reason for this class, and if they show improvement this year, this will probably be a one year blip.

Well Northwood stated if you go by average star rating, we would be 5th in the Big 10. Not great, but not as bad as it seems.
And you're right, we're not the only school. But unless I'm missing something, we have less room for this class than any school in the Big 10.
I don’t know where Northwood got his information but I do not believe we qualifier as fifth in the Big Ten in average star ranking.

Last edited:

I don't think that's what he's saying. Take the term "character" out of it for a second, because you're right, that implies that kids from other parts of the country don't have character. But cultural fit is a better way to put it, and that can mean a lot of different things. The Midwest, and Nebraska in particular, is COMPLETELY different than other parts of the country. Now imagine a kid from south Florida coming to Lincoln, that has to be a huge culture shock. Some kids get used to it,others don't (as evidenced by some of the transfers). Instead of focusing so much on Florida, it might be a better cultural fit to go after a kid from KC metro, St. Louis, Chicago, etc. Doesn't mean those kids have more character than the Florida kids, but just that might be more used to the culture in the Midwest.

I've been saying Nebraska should focus on areas like St. Louis, Denver, Chicago, Kansas City, Minneapolis and Indianapolis since Pelini was coach. I personally think Frost should have assembled a staff that reflected that. IMPO, when he came from UCF, he should have brought the coaches with Husker ties like Austin, Held and Ruud (and Travis Fisher) and then supplemented the rest of his staff with coaches who had recruiting ties to those key areas. I think he should have at least grabbed three or four guys that had tremendous reputations in St. Louis, Chicago and Denver.

I've been saying Nebraska should focus on areas like St. Louis, Denver, Chicago, Kansas City, Minneapolis and Indianapolis since Pelini was coach. I personally think Frost should have assembled a staff that reflected that. IMPO, when he came from UCF, he should have brought the coaches with Husker ties like Austin, Held and Ruud (and Travis Fisher) and then supplemented the rest of his staff with coaches who had recruiting ties to those key areas. I think he should have at least grabbed three or four guys that had tremendous reputations in St. Louis, Chicago and Denver.
Sonny Lubick's name is about as good as it will get in Colorado... I think McCartney might be ahead, and Barnett just behind for college football names. Matt Lubick can trade on that. As far as general Football names in Colorado, McCaffrey would be in the notional top ten. Strangely, Dave Logan (current Cherry Creek coach) who most outside of Colorado would have not heard of, is one of the most influential names in football, probably second to John Elway.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back