• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

N2FL Ranks the 2022 Commits

So "character, culture and fit" guys can't be 4-star players? Those guys are always 3-stars? I don't get it. Either way, 3-star / 4-star it doesn't matter. The staff has missed on several of their top targets (Ashton Craig, James Monds, Landon Samson, Jalen Marshall, Justin Williams). Recruiting is not going well. At the very least, it's not going the way the staff would like.
When you have increasingly higher/different character standards, it progressively shrinks the pool of guys you can target. You know this. Everyone in recruiting knows this.

Again to repeat, 1) staff said they were going to increase standards (that would clearly result in some level of drop off with smaller pool of guys) 2) we have missed on some guys, 3) a lot of our signees were priority targets.

Nobody is saying we're hitting it out of the park, but rankings being down to some degree this year was a foregone conclusion, and I'm a little shocked this is missing from so much analysis when it was headline public information.

When you have increasingly higher/different character standards, it progressively shrinks the pool of guys you can target. You know this. Everyone in recruiting knows this.

Again to repeat, 1) staff said they were going to increase standards (that would clearly result in some level of drop off with smaller pool of guys) 2) we have missed on some guys, 3) a lot of our signees were priority targets.

Nobody is saying we're hitting it out of the park, but rankings being down to some degree this year was a foregone conclusion, and I'm a little shocked this is missing from so much analysis when it was headline public information.
Somehow, I'm not so shocked

I’ll wait patiently for the quotes from our staff regarding the change from recruiting higher talent to better character.

And if this is the recruiting strategy going forward and we consistently finish in the lower third of the conference I will chalk this up as another ridiculous move by the staff. Don’t think for a minute the Clemson and Ohio State don’t want high character and high cultural fit guys as well. Who doesn’t? Just more excuse making.

And if this is the recruiting strategy going forward and we consistently finish in the lower third of the conference I will chalk this up as another ridiculous move by the staff. Don’t think for a minute the Clemson and Ohio State don’t want high character and high cultural fit guys as well. Who doesn’t? Just more excuse making.

We all knew (or should have known) that this class was never going to be ranked high because it will end up being historically small. 13-15 is probably the best guess right now. The staff did say they were focusing more on fit, and they also said they were really focused on the 500 mile radius more than they maybe they had previously. There have been some misses on their top guys, which suck but unfortunately isn't surprising considering the record of the last few years. But there are also guys to get really excited about. Another thing is many on this board have been clamoring for the staff to recruit the state better. The byproduct of bringing in a guy like Jake Appleget is he will bring the class ranking down. It's just a reality that NE kids generally aren't rated as high as in other states.
I don't think the sky is falling in recruiting at all. If they improve on the field this year, recruiting will trend upward very quickly.

We all knew (or should have known) that this class was never going to be ranked high because it will end up being historically small. 13-15 is probably the best guess right now. The staff did say they were focusing more on fit, and they also said they were really focused on the 500 mile radius more than they maybe they had previously. There have been some misses on their top guys, which suck but unfortunately isn't surprising considering the record of the last few years. But there are also guys to get really excited about. Another thing is many on this board have been clamoring for the staff to recruit the state better. The byproduct of bringing in a guy like Jake Appleget is he will bring the class ranking down. It's just a reality that NE kids generally aren't rated as high as in other states.
I don't think the sky is falling in recruiting at all. If they improve on the field this year, recruiting will trend upward very quickly.
Going 500 mile radius is also creating presence in the area that is nice to have

I agree with much of what you’re saying here but at the end of the day it’s hard not to just say the current trend is extremely concerning. Yes some have shouted for better in state recruiting and in a year with some real players we have not done well. Sticking to the 500 mile radius does not always mean better culture or better people but I can see where that can mean better retention. But to say we all should have seen the drop coming due to a shifting focus to culture and fit is disingenuous.

I agree with much of what you’re saying here but at the end of the day it’s hard not to just say the current trend is extremely concerning. Yes some have shouted for better in state recruiting and in a year with some real players we have not done well. Sticking to the 500 mile radius does not always mean better culture or better people but I can see where that can mean better retention. But to say we all should have seen the drop coming due to a shifting focus to culture and fit is disingenuous.

I think we should have seen a drop coming because this was always going to be a really small class. The biggest reason other than that is the record under Frost. There's no denying that. But I also don't think it's a disturbing trend if the team improves on the field this year.

I think we should have seen a drop coming because this was always going to be a really small class. The biggest reason other than that is the record under Frost. There's no denying that. But I also don't think it's a disturbing trend if the team improves on the field this year.
Had 2010 said what you said I would have a agreed completely-this shouldn’t insinuate a shift in the kind of kid we are recruiting. Had he said 500 mile radius will now be the focus I would have agreed-this shouldn’t insinuate a shift in the kind of athlete we are recruiting. Had he said a smaller class size will now be the focus I would have agreed-once again this shouldn’t insinuate the kind of athlete we are recruiting. I still haven’t seen a quote from our coach saying we have changed our philosophy to fit and character over talent as this would signal they previously didn’t have that very elementary foresight of needing kids that fit our culture. Your posts are very reasonable while 2010s was more excuse making for our lack of numbers and highly rated prospects.

Last edited:
Hey and I’m not blind to the fact that my concerns come off as some entitled fan or just bitching. I can see some real potential for a good season but I have concerns about the ability to sustain good seasons. I come to the site for real information and don’t need sunshine constantly pumped up my posterior. As much as my complaining bugs you those that feel the need to 100% excuse away issues bugs me. Give me the truth whether it hurts or not.

Had 2010 said what you said I would have a agreed completely-this shouldn’t insinuate a shift in the kind of kid we are recruiting.
It's not an insinuation, it's a direct statement from the head coach that was headline Husker news.

Your posts are very reasonable while 2010s was more excuse making for our lack of numbers and highly rated prospects.
This is pure projection - a response to the caricature you've created in your own mind of any counterpoints, rather than the words right in front of you:
After Frost's very specific comments about recruiting the right kind of guys (i.e. character, culture, fit), I'm a little surprised how many people didn't anticipate a noticeable drop in star rating due to targeting that blue collar style kid.

Not that we've gotten all the kids we were chasing by any means, but a fair number of our 3* commits were priority targets.

It's not an insinuation, it's a direct statement from the head coach that was headline Husker news.

This is pure projection - a response to the caricature you've created in your own mind of any counterpoints, rather than the words right in front of you:
That’s a real stretch to provide that video and suggests that our recruiting strategy has changed. Are you suggesting that Scott Frost wasn’t recruiting guys that he thought were a good fit previously?

Last edited:
That’s a real stretch to provide that video and suggests that our recruiting strategy has changed. Are you suggesting that Scott Frost wasn’t recruiting guys that he thought were a good fit previously?

I think you can infer from that there will be focusing more on kids in the general area and less on kids from far away. The transfers of all the FL kids being probably the #1 reason for the change.

I think it's a stretch to see the head coach outright saying we need to recruit a certain kind of kid to avoid the type of issue that was happening with the kids he brought in... and think he's not referring to a change.

"Fit," "character," "culture," etc. aren't binary, you-either-have-them-or-you-don't qualities. They're more like attribute ratings you see on a video game, and we're increasing the focus or minimum requirement there. There's a very direct cause and effect to that on who's being targeted/prioritized, which explains a part of the lower star rating.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back