• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

N2FL Ranks the 2021 Commits

I got to thinking after the discussion about whether or not Ho'ohuli plays early, and this doesn't necessarily relate to Ho'ohuli, but this staff needs to do a better job of gauging the importance of early playing time with some of these kids - especially kids who are coming from 1500 miles away (or 3800 in his case).

I think it's a big factor as to why most kids transfer. It's tough to come from Miami, Los Angeles, Dallas, Atlanta, etc, where you're away from friends and family for the first time in your life, and then to not have football (the reason you left) help keep you occupied and engaged while you get acclimated. It can be really difficult for a lot of kids coming from far away who are used to a completely different culture, climate, etc. It's a tough sell to sit and wait, especially when the team is winning at a .375 clip. Hard for these kids to come in and sit and watch their team lose. Situations like Delancy, Fleming and Butler flare up easier when that's the norm.

Frost also needs to do a lot better at vetting the kids he's grabbing from these hotbeds that he needs to have a presence in. Should he really have recruited a guy like Francois in the first place? Even without the benefit of hindsight, is it really in Nebraska's best interest to recruit kids who have decommitted multiple times? Is anyone really shocked he transferred?

Nebraska signed a top 20 class last year, yet they've already lost 20% of it in less than a calendar year. All guys who were among the top rated kids in it. Fans get more excited to see recruits like François because they have an extra star next to their name, but this team would be better off with guys like Tamon Lynum and Braxton Clark, guys who were "only" three stars that a guy like Travis Fisher loved.

My long winded point is, the staff needs to take less risks with higher rated kids, and stick with guys they really like, even if recruiting services disagree. I think they've done that with several kids in the '21 class.
I was listening to Clouse discuss this exact topic, and you guys are on the same page in your thoughts on the kind of kids we need to look at in places like FL. 4* can feel a little more entitled. When looking at some of the guys from Florida who stuck with some of the other B1G schools, many were 3* kids without much in the way of instate offers. They were ready to earn the spot and prove people wrong. If the complexities of our system make playing as a freshman more challenging, then keeping that 4* might continue to be more challenging. I like your thought process of finding the right 3s.

Last edited:

I was listening to Clause discuss this exact topic, and you guys are on the same page in your thoughts on the kind of kids we need to look at in places like FL. 4* can feel a little more entitled. Looking and some of the guys from Florida who stuck with some of the other B1G schools, many were 3* kids without much in the way of instate offers. They were ready to earn the spot and prove people wrong. If the complexities of our system make playing as a freshman more challenging, then keeping that 4* might continue to be more challenging. I like your thought process of finding the right 3s.
I think our staff needs the underweight guys with frame, likely what theyre looking for.
Those guys often have the same numbers/stats as the fours, just not as ready ready.

I got to thinking after the discussion about whether or not Ho'ohuli plays early, and this doesn't necessarily relate to Ho'ohuli, but this staff needs to do a better job of gauging the importance of early playing time with some of these kids - especially kids who are coming from 1500 miles away (or 3800 in his case).

I think it's a big factor as to why most kids transfer. It's tough to come from Miami, Los Angeles, Dallas, Atlanta, etc, where you're away from friends and family for the first time in your life, and then to not have football (the reason you left) help keep you occupied and engaged while you get acclimated. It can be really difficult for a lot of kids coming from far away who are used to a completely different culture, climate, etc. It's a tough sell to sit and wait, especially when the team is winning at a .375 clip. Hard for these kids to come in and sit and watch their team lose. Situations like Delancy, Fleming and Butler flare up easier when that's the norm.

Frost also needs to do a lot better at vetting the kids he's grabbing from these hotbeds that he needs to have a presence in. Should he really have recruited a guy like Francois in the first place? Even without the benefit of hindsight, is it really in Nebraska's best interest to recruit kids who have decommitted multiple times? Is anyone really shocked he transferred?

Nebraska signed a top 20 class last year, yet they've already lost 20% of it in less than a calendar year. All guys who were among the top rated kids in it. Fans get more excited to see recruits like François because they have an extra star next to their name, but this team would be better off with guys like Tamon Lynum and Braxton Clark, guys who were "only" three stars that a guy like Travis Fisher loved.

My long winded point is, the staff needs to take less risks with higher rated kids, and stick with guys they really like, even if recruiting services disagree. I think they've done that with several kids in the '21 class.

Always nice to see the final rankings!

I was mildly surprised to see Lutovsky jump ahead of Prochaska. Carnie was a little higher than I thought he would be. Just observations, not disagreements.
Wonder if Austin learns from Benhart on how better to coach up taller kids.

Also, question for you since you've been doing this a while. How has the process changed over the years? What has made it "better" process? What single thing do you feel is the pre-dominant factor in getting recruits? Anyway--that was more then one question. So take the last one.
Know you are busy but on my mind.
thanks again for posting being part of the board.

Attachments

• ResizedP_81a82d34-ec7f-4bf6-b3d5-7ab538226c55_375823423652571.gif
    ResizedP_81a82d34-ec7f-4bf6-b3d5-7ab538226c55_375823423652571.gif
    856.4 KB · Views: 60

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back