• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked My first time with insider info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looks like the argument has changed again. This isn't about experience, this is about hiring your buddies.

Okay. If you want to hire buddies, hire experienced ones so that you don't have to coach them up to be good coaches while you are busy trying to coach the team. One difference between Pelini and Riley seems to be that Riley has more experienced buddies than Pelini does, given that most newly hired head coaches fill their staff with people they know, trust and enjoy coaching with. No guarantee that it will work out any better. I'm hopeful that it will.

And it's old info. Talked to a former player's dad at the gym. He said his son and the team loved Bo but a lot of them thought the majority of the assistant coaches were a joke. He singled out Papoochis as being awful and wasn't ready to be DC. Apparently it was well known that Bo just wanted family and buddies around him. It's stuff we already new but I had to post my day late and a dollar short insider stuff.All in all, I'm glad we have Mike Riley and his group. Mature and professional will be a nice change of pace.

And this is why FHCBP is at Youngstown State ... good leaders surround themselves with smart people ... preferably people smarter than himself.

I do not think there is anything wrong with hiring buddies, given that they actually can do the job. Hiring buddies just because they are your buddies is a dangerous thing.

Even in my position now. I have a some friends that I think it would be cool to work with. I would have fun with them at work. But there is no way they could actually do the job I am needing them to do.

I also have friends that I know can do the job and I would hire them if I had the chance at opening more positions (hopefully in 2015 I will have budget to do so). I would ask them first because I am familiar with them, know their work ethic and their skill sets. I also know they are capable of doing the job and handling the stress that comes with this job.

No problem with hiring buddies, AS LONG as they can do the job. I think that is where Pelini made a mistake. He hired his buddies, but I do not think he fully assessed their ability to actually be able to handle the job.
Hiring people you know is fine.
Working in the jobs they have ... trust is of a paramount importance.

But people also have to be competent. By all appearances HCMR is going to hire a staff who've already done the job they are being asked to do elsewhere. But they are also people HCMR is comfortable with ... no issues with those coaches.

Two points of contention with this post: first, this whole storyline of Bo simply hiring his buddies is very much overblown. Kaz, Joseph, Garrison, and Warren were not "buddies" of Bo's. Sure, it probably would have been better off if Bo had hired some more seasoned people to replace Watson and Carl as coordinators. He didn't, and here we are.

My point is very simple, if he had hired experienced coaches, we might have had a slightly different experience with Bo.

My point is very simple, if he had hired experienced coaches, we might have had a slightly different experience with Bo.

I guess we'll find out how well experienced buddy hires work as opposed to inexperienced buddy hires.

Is this all about Papuchis, though? Because Ekeler was pretty successful, and Garrison got praise from a lot of people as the guy that fixed Cotton's supposedly crappy offensive line.

Which inexperienced buddies were the problem?

I guess we'll find out how well experienced buddy hires work as opposed to inexperienced buddy hires.

Is this all about Papuchis, though? Because Ekeler was pretty successful, and Garrison got praise from a lot of people as the guy that fixed Cotton's supposedly crappy offensive line.

Well, for me I would say Pap and Beck. Those were the ones I was leery of.

Beck had his moments, and he also had too many head scratching moments. This is why one should gain experience where the stakes are not so high first, not everyone can do on the job training at the highest level. And that is not a knock either, just how it is really.

With Pap, I am not sure if it was him directly or if Pelini was too much "in the way" for Pap to really do anything. Again not a knock, but something that I think Pap was just not ready for the position at this level.

Assistant coaches wear many hats ... including recruiter, skills expert, game-plan coordinator ... I'm of the school of thought that your coordinators have to have some experience behind them, preferably not 1st time coordinators at DONU. Guys like Ekeler and Garrison can fit as inexperienced guys if others around them have more experience. The problem was literally EVERYONE save Cotton, Kaz, Brown and Warrren came to FHCBP inexperienced in the job they were occupying including most importantly the two coordinators.

I think the difference is the qualifications of the buddies that matter. Bo was pretty open about the idea that he would hire "up and comers" and develop them. He also suggested that his assistants leaving after a few years for better opportunities was a good thing.

Both of these philosophies can be a recipe for a disaster for a program like Nebraska that expects to compete for championships.

Riley suggests that he wants to hire experts as position coaches; people who are smarter than him. That is a different philosophy. Obviously, he believes some of the "buddies" he worked with in the past meet this criteria. (Which is not surprising. It's not as if he adopted this philosophy only after being hired by Nebraska.)

We will see next season and over the next 5 years how successful he was at picking the right experts.

yep.

Honest question. Have any of his assistants been part of winning an American football championship? I haven't had a chance to look.

Will he even hire any of his old assistants?

"If you had it do to over again, would you do it again?"
NO!

This was a very average staff overall. I think Brown was good, but is now at the end of his career, glad we are keeping Warren. I don't thin iowa was that thrilled with Kaz, our offensive lineman haven't been good for quite awhile (Cotton & Garrison), our offense had no identity (Beck), our linebacker play was horrible (Ross Els), Papuchis showed his ability against USC, I think Rich Fischer did a solid job with the WR's and their blocking.

I was pleasantly surprised how well Barney Cotton did as interim head coach. I think BC was a better head coach than a position coach. He might do very well at UNLV. Garrison seemed to be a good recruiter. Of course they are both already employed. I think they guy wo will have the toughest time finding a "good" job will be Papuchis, followed by Ross Els. I wich them all luck. A bet a few will find their way to Youngstown.

Can you fill us in on this??? Not sure how good of a coach he is, not bad as a recruiter.

NO!

I was pleasantly surprised how well Barney Cotton did as interim head coach. I think BC was a better head coach than a position coach. He might do very well at UNLV. Garrison seemed to be a good recruiter. Of course they are both already employed. I think they guy wo will have the toughest time finding a "good" job will be Papuchis, followed by Ross Els. I wich them all luck. A bet a few will find their way to Youngstown.

RE: Barney ... one game does not a HC make, but maybe like Craig Bohl maybe being a HC is easier for him than being a coordinator.

Can you fill us in on this??? Not sure how good of a coach he is, not bad as a recruiter.

I'd say he did a pretty good job with guys like Glenn, Dillard, and David. He even squeezed some good play out of Fisher early in his career, as well as guys that weren't heavily recruited like Wortman, Holt, and Lawrence.

Since then, he was the DC at Indiana before getting on with Kiffin at USC. Unfortunately, that was a staff that wasn't retained, and he was hired by Mark Richt at Georgia to coach their LBs.

He's remained in the P5 conferences and has been hired by some good teams. Someone must think he's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back