• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MLS 2015

You could get glimses of Stevie G's aggressivenss during the game. Several times, including the goal, he simply beat others players to the ball instead of waiting. Maybe it was because of his ability to predict the play better, but it was definitely noticable.

The travel and the physical nature of the league will take its toll on him....Beckham remarked on both many times in his career....

You could get glimses of Stevie G's aggressivenss during the game. Several times, including the goal, he simply beat others players to the ball instead of waiting. Maybe it was because of his ability to predict the play better, but it was definitely noticable.

Went to the SKC/Montreal match Saturday night. SKC didn't play great, but took control of the match with two early goals. After that, they kind of packed it in. Still, good win and still plenty of games in hand.

I don't think it's a stretch to say NYCFC may be a condender right now, and certainly will not be a stretch when Lampard arrives next week. Pirlo looks damn good from game one. Poku looked amazing. Orlando looked like they could keep up but that was short lived.

NYCFC is for real. They may have bought that team but I love that they did it. The same way I have ZERO problems with LA doing the same. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, the MLS will be roundly improved much faster than we all imagined when teams who have aggressive ownership who want to win and sell merchandise push out the lesser of their peers. This is exactly how MLS determines who plays in the league long term. This is how the league improves related to it's European peers. This is why the draft will be obsolete and why the aggressive owners will push (successfully) to end the draft and create true developmental systems where they can truly eat what they kill in terms of bringing along their own talent. Right now, you HAVE to buy a team because you sure as hell can't "draft" one.

I realize I'm probably with the vast minority. But in my mind, this is how MLS turns (quickly) into a global league. I can only hope the MLS hierarchy doesn't place a big stop sign on the road of continued league improvement.

This is also a reason I will probably never root that strongly against NYCFC and LA. In 5 years, it'll be them that we can applaud for putting the league on its back and getting us over the hump. I just have this gnawing feeling that if up to the SKCs, RSLs and DCUs of the world, we'll be watching grossly the same level of soccer in the MLS in 5 years. And I'm a pretty big SKC fan now.

Last edited:

Union scores 25 seconds into the game against DCU. Sarpong strong arms a defender out of the way and get a point blank shot.

Where the hell did that come from Sarpong? Never saw that once last year at SKC?:Biggrin:

Another point about MLS, and we've seen it from American players (obviously).........central defenders with quality are very few and far between in the MLS.

And with that, Union goes up 2-0 in the 4th minute.

Last edited:
......and off to KC for the SKC-Houston game tomorrow.

I enjoy these little trips more and more every time I go. I actually have an extra ticket, so while I'm not at all certain I will log onto Huskermax anytime between now and the game to see if anyone replies, and if you want to sit by my family and nephew.........there's room for one more.

Well, got back from the game and have to say...............Jesus Mary and Joseph, the MLS better upgrade their refs or no one will take them seriously. I'll be the first to admit that I think, generally, they do OK. But there are a couple, like Jorge Gonzales, that need to be shown the door after this year. This is not the first time he's made an utter mess of a game, and I can promise you it won't be the last. He missed a "stick my arm out and deflect the ball down to me so it doesn't go to the opposing team" hand ball, in the box, literally 15 feet away from him in extra time. Just so happens, I was sitting pretty darn close to it. No one in the stadium, and that included every Dynamo player on the pitch and sideline, would have argued the hand ball with a straight face. It was awful. And to make matters worse, the replay I watched after the game was even worse than it appeared live. Missed call.........game outcome changed. The worst thing a ref can do. But he was so much worse than that. Both teams hate each other and he couldn't control the game with any sense of credibility from either fanbase's standpoint. How many "I'm giving you both yellow cards" can the guy give in one match because he either didn't see the play, or simply didn't want to hold someone accountable? I counted 3 double yellows and 2 more double fouls. Whatever the hell those are. Houston players flopping all over the place when SKC was taking control in the last 20 minutes. And that was preceded by SKC playing like thugs for the first 45 because they knew who was reffing the game.

That said, I have no voice. The family had a great time together at the game. All and all it was still a GREAT night, great weather.

I think it's time for season tickets next year.

Last edited:
They have Jason Kries and that is a huge too. A players coach who is hands down the best coach in the league and the best American Coach produced to date.

I don't think it's a stretch to say NYCFC may be a condender right now, and certainly will not be a stretch when Lampard arrives next week. Pirlo looks damn good from game one. Poku looked amazing. Orlando looked like they could keep up but that was short lived.

NYCFC is for real. They may have bought that team but I love that they did it. The same way I have ZERO problems with LA doing the same. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, the MLS will be roundly improved much faster than we all imagined when teams who have aggressive ownership who want to win and sell merchandise push out the lesser of their peers. This is exactly how MLS determines who plays in the league long term. This is how the league improves related to it's European peers. This is why the draft will be obsolete and why the aggressive owners will push (successfully) to end the draft and create true developmental systems where they can truly eat what they kill in terms of bringing along their own talent. Right now, you HAVE to buy a team because you sure as hell can't "draft" one.

I realize I'm probably with the vast minority. But in my mind, this is how MLS turns (quickly) into a global league. I can only hope the MLS hierarchy doesn't place a big stop sign on the road of continued league improvement.

This is also a reason I will probably never root that strongly against NYCFC and LA. In 5 years, it'll be them that we can applaud for putting the league on its back and getting us over the hump. I just have this gnawing feeling that if up to the SKCs, RSLs and DCUs of the world, we'll be watching grossly the same level of soccer in the MLS in 5 years. And I'm a pretty big SKC fan now.

Alot being said regarding Garber's note that the MLS is losing money.

I could go into 12 paragraphs on why that's completely incorrect and then counter it with 12 paragraphs why that statement is correct and fill the rest of a book on why both schools of thought are necessary right now and then write an addendum on how things need to proceed from here to continue MLS's meteoric trajectory.

Went to the MLS All Stars v Spurs game last Wednesday in Denver. Great fun. The speed of play the first half when both sides' starters were playing was most impressive. Kane is just a beast. A fast, graceful beast who was easily the best and most impressive player on the pitch. Eriksen is a joy to watch, too. For the all-stars, who won 2-1, keeping London teams winless against the all-stars, David Villa and Kaka impressed; Villa still very, very quick with and without the ball, and Kaka surprisingly strong and very imaginative with the ball.

Plus having my 20-year old son with me was special. He is a big Hotspur fan and got some great photos.

Last edited:

Went to the MLS All Stars v Spurs game last Wednesday in Denver. Great fun. The speed of play the first half when both sides' starters were playing was most impressive. Kane is just a beast. A fast, graceful beast that was easily the best and most impressive player on the pitch. Eriksen is a joy to watch, too. For the all-stars, who won 2-1, keeping London teams winless against the all-stars, David Villa and Kaka impressed; Villa still very, very quick with and without the ball, and Kaka surprisingly strong and very imaginative with the ball.

Plus having my 20-year old son with me was special. He is a big Hotspur fan and got some great photos.

Awesome. Just Awesome.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back