• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB GAME #33 (3/22) #8 Nebraska (23-10) vs #9 Texas A&M (20-14) (Memphis)(FedEx Forum) Tip 5:50 CT TNT GAME THREAD

I think when you play a team that averages around 23% on 3 pointers, but shoots 54%, you're going to have a hard time winning no matter what you do.
Exactly. I think the drives to the basket was more troubling. We had been a decent defense all year

I think when you play a team that averages around 23% on 3 pointers, but shoots 54%, you're going to have a hard time winning no matter what you do.
There were things Nebraska could have done better, but you simply aren’t going to beat a team when they hit like A&M did last night. Aggies did the same thing to Kentucky in the SEC tournament.

Maybe just getting hot at the right time?

I live in Tennessee, and was at the game Friday. To say it was a pro-Nebraska crowd, sells short the turnout Nebraska had. Session 1 was mostly Nebraska fans, and we didn’t even play in that session. Nebraska game there were probably 10x as many Husker fans as there were Aggies. It was absolutely rockin’!

I’m going Sunday and expect a low turn out for the games. Nebraska traveled and supported like a top program would.

A&M just couldn’t miss. I kept watching the stats on the boards in the arena and it wasn’t until the end of the game that A&M’s 3pt percentage finally drifted away from 70%. Huskers could have done a better job stopping drives and rebounding, but those are the things the Aggies excel at. When their weakness becomes a strength, what can you do?

Crowd was into the game but every time the crowd would get loud and try to surge the team on a run, A&M would answer with a strong play.

Not a lot they could do. Was fun to be around so many fellow Huskers. It is a rarity for me. Hate we couldn’t come away with that much needed win.

shooting 54% from 3 most certainly hurt NU, but that didn't do NU in.

They made 13 3's, that is 39 of their 98 points.. of course those 3's help give or take momentum, but that wasn't what lost NU the game. The lack of rebounding and defense killed NU. Add to that our inability to make 3's in the second half to try and take back momentum.

NU was out rebounded 40-28, that probably lead to many second chance points.. The stats do not say exactly how many, though. That dribble drive was the real killer in this game. The 3 point shooting is just an easy scapegoat.

They made 13 3's, that is 39 of their 98 points.. of course those 3's help give or take momentum, but that wasn't what lost NU the game. The lack of rebounding and defense killed NU. Add to that our inability to make 3's in the second half to try and take back momentum.

NU was out rebounded 40-28, that probably lead to many second chance points.. The stats do not say exactly how many, though. That dribble drive was the real killer in this game. The 3 point shooting is just an easy scapegoat.
3 pointers wasn't the whole reason, never said it was. But if they would have shot their average with their 24 attempts, that would be 21 fewer points, and we'd of been in the game to the end.

As for their offensive rebounds, they are noted for that so no real surprise there. Our defense did not look the best, but a hot team will make you look bad.

3 pointers wasn't the whole reason, never said it was. But if they would have shot their average with their 24 attempts, that would be 21 fewer points, and we'd of been in the game to the end.

As for their offensive rebounds, they are noted for that so no real surprise there. Our defense did not look the best, but a hot team will make you look bad.

Well sure, but it was up to the defense to disrupt their 3 point shooting, we didn't, nor did the defense stop that dribble drive.

That is what I meant by easy to put the blame on 3 point shooting..

I’m not sure what we were doing at the start of the game. Even though we were ahead, I was saying this isn’t how we play, this doesn’t look like us at all. The pace was out of control and we were in a frenzy. It seemed the moment was too big. We were up 7 and I felt like we were doomed.

I’m not sure what we were doing at the start of the game. Even though we were ahead, I was saying this isn’t how we play, this doesn’t look like us at all. The pace was out of control and we were in a frenzy. It seemed the moment was too big. We were up 7 and I felt like we were doomed.
We were and we were, pal
Good analogy!

Sorry, but that's not how it works in my experience. What do we always hear when a team can't get to the basket or get any scoring in the lane? 'They need to hit some outside shots to spread the defense out and create more space to work'. They were blistering hot, and we had to come out and close the space on much better athletes. As a player the one thing you figure out really early in a game is 'who is the king, and who is the queen'. If a guy is much quicker or much stronger, he's the king. Nothing wrong with being the queen, but you have to accept you are the queen and adjust your game accordingly, specifically, you need to play off a little in order not to get beaten. It's especially true if you are on the perimeter. If a guy beats you out there, he has space to work, either to get to the basket, or to create an opportunity for a teammate when the help defense comes to him. It also creates more space for teams to attack rebounds. It's not just bigs who rebound better when a team can't pack in the lane, but wings have a ton more room to crash the boards, and guards tend to stink at blocking out.

As many have said, we are not gifted athletically. We needed the game to go a particular way to be competitive and get a win. It went a completely opposite direction from what we were hoping, and there is no adjustment Fred or anyone else could do. Maybe if we had a couple of the guys available that are hurt or suspended, maybe a healthy Keita would have made it harder for guys to get to the basket, or another guard to help pump up our perimeter defense, but we didn't have those options. They had 16 second chance points, we had 9, so that did gain them 8 points, but we had 17 fast break points to their 9, so that's basically a wash. They killed us in bench scoring because Carter and Coleman went for 23 to our 8. No matter how you want to point to other areas, our demise was absolutely caused by their shooting 56.5% from the arc.

Last edited:

Sorry, but that's not how it works in my experience. What do we always hear when a team can't get to the basket or get any scoring in the lane? 'They need to hit some outside shots to spread the defense out and create more space to work'. They were blistering hot, and we had to come out and close the space on much better athletes. As a player the one thing you figure out really early in a game is 'who is the king, and who is the queen'. If a guy is much quicker or much stronger, he's the king. Nothing wrong with being the queen, but you have to accept you are the queen and adjust your game accordingly, specifically, you need to play off a little in order not to get beaten. It's especially true if you are on the perimeter. If a guy beats you out there, he has space to work, either to get to the basket, or to create an opportunity for a teammate when the help defense comes to him. It also creates more space for teams to attack rebounds. It's not just bigs who rebound better when a team can't pack in the lane, but wings have a ton more room to crash the boards, and guards tend to stink at blocking out.

As many have said, we are not gifted athletically. We needed the game to go a particular way to be competitive and get a win. It went a completely opposite direction from what we were hoping, and there is no adjustment Fred or anyone else could do. Maybe if we had a couple of the guys available that are hurt or suspended, maybe a healthy Keita would have made it harder for guys to get to the basket, or another guard to help pump up our perimeter defense, but we didn't have those options. They had 16 second chance points, we had 9, so that did gain them 8 points, but we had 17 fast break points to their 9, so that's basically a wash. They killed us in bench scoring because Carter and Coleman went for 23 to our 8. No matter how you want to point to other areas, our demise was absolutely caused by their shooting 56.5% from the arc.
I think A&M showed last night their ability to drive the lane with the point guard was legit. And Holy cow, did their ability to hit the 3 has taken an upward tick or two

I think A&M showed last night their ability to drive the lane with the point guard was legit. And Holy cow, did their ability to hit the 3 has taken an upward tick or two
Houston has a little more quickness, which obviously helps. I think the Cougars saw them clanking 3s and thought it was going to be an easy night, but to A&M's credit, they dug in and made it a fist fight.

We've had the guards in the past, but they ended up playing power forward because we didn't have any bigs. This year, they had a whole bunch of tall shooters. A stalwart PG would make a huge difference. I'm trying to get to the place where I appreciate what Nebraska did this year, and how hard they tried to re-invent themselves over the last two years.
I think Brice Williams is fine at PG. He makes the passes he needs to and is a great ball handler, now him and a true PG that plays defense on the court at the same time, that could be something really good, but his defense certainly isn't great

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back