• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #21, (W, 83-80), SUN, 1/29 vs PURDUE @ PBA, 3:30 Pm CST, BTN

May be a stretch but this is the most fun I have had being in the crowd at PBA since No Sit Sunday in Year #1

That was a huge win, I gave us no shot with their size and Morrow out.

Before the game, I figure due to Swannigan and Haas, we have no choice but to double the post. So our only hope is to get lucky and hope Purdue is cold from 3.

So, it turns out, our ability to defend Purdue's size inside is compromised even further: Morrow out, Jacobson is sick and goes to the locker room twice in the first half and gets an IV at halftime, Roby has a hip flexor injury, and Tshimanga gets his 4th foul with 19 minutes left. AND, Purdue shoots 58% from 3, with 14 makes.

And we win. What the hell do I know, I guess?

Before the game, I figure due to Swannigan and Haas, we have no choice but to double the post. So our only hope is to get lucky and hope Purdue is cold from 3.

So, it turns out, our ability to defend Purdue's size inside is compromised even further: Morrow out, Jacobson is sick and goes to the locker room twice in the first half and gets an IV at halftime, Roby has a hip flexor injury, and Tshimanga gets his 4th foul with 19 minutes left. AND, Purdue shoots 58% from 3, with 14 makes.

Give that scenario to anyone with a lick of basketball savvy, and they'd tell you it's a likely easy win for Purdue. I'm sure Purdue had those same feelings. It shows the danger of allowing a lesser opponent to linger. On paper, we were definitely the lesser opponent. Great win, and nice job of some guys raising their game.

We played well today, we deserved this win. It was nice that a few things went our way at the end, they sure haven't been lately. That Purdue team is good and will make a lot more noise in March than their last team did. When Mathias took that last shot, I just closed my eyes. I thought for sure it was in. Nebraska needed to foul before he even took that shot.

Jordy only had 6 points and 3 boards, but he really did a good job on Swanigan for the most part. I don't know how high of ceiling Jordy has, but I have a feeling he will be a solid player. Probably not an all-conference type, but a 10 and 8 guy who is incredibly disruptive on defense. Sometimes he thinks too much, needs to build confidence to trust his instincts.

Horne must be playing better defense in practice because he is earning minutes. He reminds me so much of myself my sophomore year in high school. Just a large, barrel-chested wing who could fill up a stat sheet coming off the bench. Instant offense inside and outside, could score a lot in a hurry. Defense? Optional. I needed to dog it so I could score, score, score. Couldn't figure out why coach wouldn't give me more minutes. Took a lot more ass-chewings and benchings than it should of to get it through my thick skull. I think that's where Jeriah was and I hope that's not where he is now. In terms of offensive effenciency, we are a different team when he's in there. 16 points, 7 boards, 1 assist. He also made a few other plays that aren't measured on a stat sheet that led to points.

Tai continues to impress with 15 points, 8 boards, and 6 assists. He's one of my favorite Nebraska players ever...any sport.

McVeigh continues his upward trajectory. 4-6 from behind the arc, 21 points, and had a couple of nice takes.

Jacobson was throwing up throughout the game and took an I.V. at halftime. Warrior.

Nice recap. Jordy definitely thinks about things, you can almost see the wheels turning in his head, but for how raw he is? He has sneaky athleticism and decent feet, he just needs to continue to develop the feel for the game and not get caught ball watching. Nice to see him play well.

Not sure if what I said about Horne is correct or not, but man that dude isn't afraid to let it fly. If his play-making skills develop just a little, he could be super tough.

And with you on Tai. 100%. His development from his freshman year has been awesome to watch. Trying to take in all that he does.

And while Watson didn't fill up the stat sheet with McVeigh and Horne giving the boost offensively, his motor was running much better this game. He probed more, got the defense moving into spaces that allowed those shooters room. Need him to keep up that aggression.

Absolutely. Even looking at the stats, there is nothing there that says we should have won. But we did and its fantastic. This team has some fight, but I hope we see it every game! Maybe getting Morrow back will help...

Turns out the difference was Purdue's failure/nebraska's success on NU's offensive end. I'm sure if you told 100 people Purdue would score 80...99 would take Purdue. some days you just need to score the ball when you're screwed on the other end.

The other thing that jumps out at me from the stats is the rebounding. every single guy made significant contributions on the board. that's effort.

Now. what happens from here? miles and past coaches literally do this to husker nation every year. already did it once this year (although Indiana has proven to be not that surprising a win). will they squander this win like they usually do? or capitalize on it? nu couldn't ask for a much more favorable schedule going forward.

Last edited:

Now. what happens from here? miles and past coaches literally do this to husker nation every year. already did it once this year (although Indiana has proven to be not that surprising a win). will they squander this win like they usually do? or capitalize on it? nu couldn't ask for a much more favorable schedule going forward.

Husker hoops is just like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football! We get emotionally invested and "smack", Lucy pulls the ball away!

Husker hoops is just like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football! We get emotionally invested and "smack", Lucy pulls the ball away!
Its just like football with the only difference being that we have actually kicked that football before.:Biggrin:

Turns out the difference was Purdue's failure/nebraska's success on NU's offensive end. I'm sure if you told 100 people Purdue would score 80...99 would take Purdue. some days you just need to score the ball when you're screwed on the other end.

The other thing that jumps out at me from the stats is the rebounding. every single guy made significant contributions on the board. that's effort.

Spot on Bilsker, "what happens from here" is indeed the question. Hopefully this win turns out to be a huge momentum builder for the rest of the season.

Finally got to watch the game. Was fun to watch Nebraska go shot-for-shot with what looks like a top 20 team getting off the bus. Biggest improvement was McVeigh and Horne not getting lost on defense. I hope the rumor about Morrow being almost ready to come back is not just a rumor.

From here, I hope Nebraska plays hard and plays a couple of days into the Big Ten Tourney (first day bye? Yes please). That's enough for me to be happy with this season.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back